Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I think this is the salient point - 1 vs 2 USB ports.
It would seem a bit silly to remove the USB just because you've switched over to a non-USB source.
Larry
Hmmmmm..... now that has me wondering on another issue. I thought all the cars came with 2 USB ports. My 2017 Abarth trim version did, and about a year ago something happened such that only one of them can be recognized at the same time. I used to be able to plug a USB drive in each of them, and in selectable audio sources, it would show as both USB1 and USB2 available. Now, if I plug a device into each of them, the first one will show up as available, and the second appears ghosted (greyed) out. It makes no difference which port is loaded with a device first, they both work... just not concurrently. And that, has me completely baffled and I'm yet to figure out why it happened.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmmmmm..... now that has me wondering on another issue. I thought all the cars came with 2 USB ports. My 2017 Abarth trim version did, and about a year ago something happened such that only one of them can be recognized at the same time. I used to be able to plug a USB drive in each of them, and in selectable audio sources, it would show as both USB1 and USB2 available. Now, if I plug a device into each of them, the first one will show up as available, and the second appears ghosted (greyed) out. It makes no difference which port is loaded with a device first, they both work... just not concurrently. And that, has me completely baffled and I'm yet to figure out why it happened.
From what I understand, based on a 2017 Classica with the 7" infotainment system owned by a friend, there's only 1 USB port.

The problem you're describing is odd. I was going to suggest a cable had come unplugged from behind the unit but then the system wouldn't do what you're seeing.

Have you done a reset on the infotainment system - there are threads on how to do that but of course, I can't find any right now. But I'd start with that and see if it makes any difference.

Larry

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, you can in fact use 64gig USB memory devices in your Spider, you just need to make some tweaks to the device.

(NOTE/EDIT I'd previously mentioned the possible use of USB 3.0 devices. Our owner's manual states that both the base 3" and upgrade 7" radio systems do not support USB 3.0 devices, you must use only USB 2.0 memory devices. USB 2.0 works just fine for audio files in a car radio. No lags, no delays.)

Options-
1- Use 32gig or smaller USB storage devices. 32gig and smaller are formatted in the "FAT32" format, it is the programming behind the formatting, and it is the programming our car radios work with. Load it with tunes, and listen away. Done.

2- For you music hogs, go to this website to use the formatting conversion application (an executable file you'll download) to convert the 64gig device formatting to the FAT32 format. YES, you will still have full use of all 64gigs, you'll just be telling the 64gig device to think and work like a 32gig (and smaller) device. This works beautifully, I have a 64gig Sandisc Cruzer Fit USB storage device in each of my cars and they each have in excess of 32gigs of music (around 3800 songs and growing).
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
At this link, follow the instructions to click on the image of the "FAT32 Format" command box, DO NOT CLICK ON THE BRIGHT GREEN "START NOW" BUTTONS! Those are for outside Google advertising links. When you click on the "FAT32 Format" command box, you'll get a window stating you are opening the "guiformat.exe" executable file, this is correct. Just follow the instructions and in a minute or 2 your 64gig memory device will be working as you hoped it would. (In the process, your memory device is going to scrubbed of any saved files. So, put those files back on your computer before this process if you don't have them saved anywhere else.)

If I recall, within those instructions you'll be following is a prompt that allows you to chose "sector size" on the memory device. The Notes section at the bottom of that link will tell you that memory drives smaller than 2tb use a 4K sector size, so choose 4K (4000) when you are prompted to make a choice.

Here is another message I wrote about this subject earlier this year.
I Don't have or want satellite radio, However

From Amazon, Sandisc 64gig Cruzer Fit, seriously, it's the size of your thumbnail.
Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - SDCZ33-064G-G35: Computers & Accessories
I've used several of this model drive in different gig sizes, all worked wonderfully.

Lastly, if you rip CDs for your music library, on a MS Windows operated computer I go into the rip settings and instruct it to use the MP3 music file format, and in the Audio Quality setting I choose the highest quality of 320kbps. Don't worry, you have 64gig of storage, you'll get thousands of high quality MP3's on that chip. MS Windows default is the Windows Media Audio at a much smaller file size. I learned this the hard way... I always know when I get to a WMA song, I need to turn up the volume.

(Edit- I just wrote a how-to in the Electronics subforum covering this information, requesting to the moderators it be made a sticky.
USB music storage, using 64gig and larger memory devices)

I hope this helps.
Steve.

I would add one thing to this post. I added a 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Fit today, which is a super tiny FAT32 formatted USB drive (see photo below). Thing is like Dr. Who's TARDIS, teeny-weeny on the outside, near infinite on the inside. I have ~2,500 songs on it, and it's only half full. Got mine for $6.99 on Amazon.

I have everything labeled pretty good, and I'm a fickle bitch when it comes to music, so rather than put entire albums on the drive, I just put my personal Hit Parade on it, in one big folder. I figured that most of the time I would be leaving the audio system set to "shuffle" and then having the cursor wheel aimed at the "Next Track" button, so if I wasn't into the track that played, I could just hit the button, and on to the next track...

This worked quite well this afternoon, until...

I wanted to play a specific song for someone, and could not find it. I noticed that the audio system wasn't "seeing" all the songs on the drive, not by a long shot. It took me a bit to figure out this evening, but I finally figured out that the audio system doesn't like it if you put more than 200 songs in a given folder. I broke the big folder up into folders of 200 songs each, and now the system "sees" them all, and will shuffle between folders on the "all songs" function.

Hardest part was naming all the damn folders... "Misc Tunes V: Misc And The Temple Of Doom"... "Misc Tunes VII: The Last Temptation Of Misc"... "Misc Tunes XII: The Unbearable Lightness Of Misc"...

So be aware, when using a USB for music in the car, limit the number of songs in a given folder to 200 or fewer. With all ~2500 songs in one folder my laptop recognizes them all, so I believe it's the audio system in the car that is limited here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A couple of nice features is that
the audio system recognizes m3u playlists and after indexing,the voice assistant can occasionally find a specific song or artist or playlist based on what it can read.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yep, you discovered what a few of us have as well. You can have as many folders as you'd like (I think I have around 3 dozen folders), but each folder is limited to just over 250 files (songs). Limit the folder to 250 songs and you're golden. I explained this in the "I don't want satellite" thread I'd linked earlier.

Steve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, you discovered what a few of us have as well. You can have as many folders as you'd like (I think I have around 3 dozen folders), but each folder is limited to just over 250 files (songs). Limit the folder to 250 songs and you're golden. I explained this in the "I don't want satellite" thread I'd linked earlier.

Steve.

Ahhh, when I was trying to figure out how many songs I could have, I was going by 100's, so I went from 300 down to 200... I wasn't actually counting... lol... nice to know I could go to 250 per folder... I think that would save me two full folders with the current collection...

I do like the XM/Sirius trial that came with the car, the wife and I are discussing whether or not we'll keep it at the end of the year-long trial, but it is coming in handy with reminding both of us of music we need to acquire... she's got a notebook in the center cubby, and jots down artists, songs and albums whenever we hear a must-have...

Unfortunately, living in the mountains, the sat signal can be a bit spotty, and I've already identified certain roads/drives where it's just better to fire up the USB...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unfortunately, living in the mountains, the sat signal can be a bit spotty, and I've already identified certain roads/drives where it's just better to fire up the USB...
I was also considering extending the free service, but yah it sure does cut out a lot running the good roads around here.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a 32GB USB from my old Giulia (unpartitioned) and may as well move it to my Spider and buy a 64GB for my new Giulia.

Is the Spider's SD slot used exclusively for nav?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Tonight I loaded a bunch of new tunes onto my 64GB mini-drives for the vehicles, as I do about once a month or so. My wife has a couple dozen albums on the chips, but all of my stuff is in the file folders named Tracks 01a thru Tracks 17+.

Combined, there are 4472 songs chewing up that 38.3GB of storage space. 355 files (songs) are hers, 4117 files (songs) are mine (which, fortunately, she enjoys as well). Strange, about 10 years ago, music was just a background sound for me, and I collected none. Now, it's just the opposite, and jazz is the main focus, along with a mix of blues, bluegrass, and rockabilly.

The first, second, third, etc. song/track of each album is put into the respective file folders. Yes, labor intensive, but it is a permanent shuffle mode, and I know it works. I prefer the mix to listening to an album straight through. And I don't trust the shuffle button on a radio- how will I ever know if all my tracks got played?

The "a" folders are almost full (keeping it to less than 250 files in each filter, the radio will only play the first 250'ish songs in a file folder, it won't recognize the songs after that point), the "b" folders are where I pick up and keep going. Theoretically, I may need a "Tracks 01c" someday. And with about 1/3 of the chips still free for storage, I may have to do that. The car has no limit in the number of folders it will see and play, just as long as a folder does not have more than 250 files. (Precisely speaking, it's 255 files.)

Most files are ripped at the highest quality level MP3. Some, before I became wise to it, were ripped as WMA(?) files that are smaller size files. I always know when I hit one because I have to turn up the volume. But with 64GB, I don't worry about file size. I don't go bigger than the large MP3 because I know these files can be played in any car or on any player. And the MP3 sound quality is very good in an automobile missing its roof (or my pickup truck).

Steve.

Here is what the first couple dozen files (songs) look like inside folder "Tracks 01a".

·
Registered
787 Posts
I checked and saw the 32GB USB drive I’m going to put in my Spider is FAT32 formatted while the 64 GB drive going into my new Giulia is exFAT (the result of a successful diet?). I also saw it has a 128 kilobyte allocation unit size. What does that mean?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm impressed, Steve. You're far more organized than me. I just downloaded 3 playlists that I had selected from about 150 CD's and some downloaded mp3's onto a 32 gig jump drive and stuck it in. During the download it appeared to arrange everything alphabetically so I just shuffle everything.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I checked and saw the 32GB USB drive I’m going to put in my Spider is FAT32 formatted while the 64 GB drive going into my new Giulia is exFAT (the result of a successful diet?). I also saw it has a 128 kilobyte allocation unit size. What does that mean?
Hello Chipshot- back upstream in the first page of this thread I walk through the process of converting the 64gb exFAT drive formatting to the same FAT32 formatting of rhe 32GB drive.

exFAT and FAT 32 refer to the programming of the drive itself to handle files saved to it. I am NOT well schooled on this, but exFAT on larger memory devices is intended for organizing and storing files MUCH larger than puny music (or photo, or document...) files. FAT32 programming is intending for smaller files in a memory storage system. The exFAT of the 64GB can't be read on our Fiats (nor probably in your Giulia), your memory drive has to be converted to FAT32, as my earlier message helps to do.

The allocation size- when I researched that, what I learned lead me to assign the smallest allocation size the computer/memory drive device would allow. Think paper bags. Do you store a sandwich in a small lunch bag, or a large grocery bag? File allocation is a similar concept. Music files are small, and there is no sense setting up large packets of memory for the small files. A file will use as many packets (bags) of memory as it needs, but the last one it uses may have unused memory space that goes wasted. The smaller the allocation size, the less space wasted, the more files you can fit on the drive.

Again, I'm no expert, but this is where the research led me a couple years ago. Check my earlier posts for formatting and allocation- the processes are easy and only take a few minutes. One link even takes you to a different thread I wrote in more detail.

Good luck!
Steve.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hello Chipshot- back upstream in the first page of this thread I walk through the process of converting the 64gb exFAT drive formatting to the same FAT32 formatting of rhe 32GB drive.

exFAT and FAT 32 refer to the programming of the drive itself to handle files saved to it. I am NOT well schooled on this, but exFAT on larger memory devices is intended for organizing and storing files MUCH larger than puny music (or photo, or document...) files. FAT32 programming is intending for smaller files in a memory storage system. The exFAT of the 64GB can't be read on our Fiats (nor probably in your Giulia), your memory drive has to be converted to FAT32, as my earlier message helps to do.

The allocation size- when I researched that, what I learned lead me to assign the smallest allocation size the computer/memory drive device would allow. Think paper bags. Do you store a sandwich in a small lunch bag, or a large grocery bag? File allocation is a similar concept. Music files are small, and there is no sense setting up large packets of memory for the small files. A file will use as many packets (bags) of memory as it needs, but the last one it uses may have unused memory space that goes wasted. The smaller the allocation size, the less space wasted, the more files you can fit on the drive.

Again, I'm no expert, but this is where the research led me a couple years ago. Check my earlier posts for formatting and allocation- the processes are easy and only take a few minutes. One link even takes you to a different thread I wrote in more detail.

Good luck!
Steve.
Thanks, Steve. I missed your helpful post. The exFAT 64GB has been loaded with music and is in my new Giulia. So I'll see if the music plays (miracles do happen) before doing any formatting. If I do need to convert the format, will doing so wipe out the music I loaded? I know when I reformat a camera memory card all the images and videos are erased.

I topped off the 32GB FAT32 card removed from the old Giulia with my latest downloads. So it's ready-to-go when I get my Spider. I'm debating whether or not to bring it with me when I take delivery.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks, Steve. I missed your helpful post. The exFAT 64GB has been loaded with music and is in my new Giulia. So I'll see if the music plays (miracles do happen) before doing any formatting. If I do need to convert the format, will doing so wipe out the music I loaded? I know when I reformat a camera memory card all the images and videos are erased.

I topped off the 32GB FAT32 card removed from the old Giulia with my latest downloads. So it's ready-to-go when I get my Spider. I'm debating whether or not to bring it with me when I take delivery.
Yeah, converting the 64GB drive will wipe it clean. But if it works on the FCA/Alfa tune box, great! But it won't work in the Mazda-spec radio. In the Giulia, if you know how many songs are in a file folder off your computer, manually scroll through on the car radio and see if they are all there.

I envy your upcoming daily decision process when the garage door opens. Hmmm, Italian hot rod sedan, or proper 2-seater drop top. Sedan, convertible... Hmmm...

Enjoy!
Steve.

·
Registered
787 Posts
exFAT-formatted 64GB worked fine in my Giulia (actually loaded very quickly). Had no trouble whatsoever calling up my traditional first song and a few other favorites. Hurry up, Spider!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Phew! Good to read that you won't have to rebuild that 64GB drive.

Steve.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Two things I've noted so far while playing music from 32GB USB in my Spider.
1. It reboots every time the car is started. My Giulia has spoiled me by not doing this. Any workaround?
2. Shuffle only shuffles within folders. I want it to be for all songs. I'm thinking I may need to spend some time restructuring my music library.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Two things I've noted so far while playing music from 32GB USB in my Spider.
1. It reboots every time the car is started. My Giulia has spoiled me by not doing this. Any workaround?
2. Shuffle only shuffles within folders. I want it to be for all songs. I'm thinking I may need to spend some time restructuring my music library.
1- I have no idea why it reboots each time, I think this might be the first I've heard of that with either the 3.5" or 7" radios. I don't know to blame the thumb drive or the radio. Does the owner's manual for the car offer any insight? The manual seems to be several pages long for the 7" radio/infotainment system.
2- Shuffle, I don't know for sure, but this does not surprise me. Hence my system I've outlined in my earlier message- all tracks 1 from each album go in file folder "Tracks 01". All tracks 2 from each album go in file folder "Tracks 02", etc. And yes, you have to use 01, 02 and so on, not just 1 and 2, something about numeric order once you hit file folder 10 and higher.

Steve.

·
Registered
787 Posts
1- I have no idea why it reboots each time, I think this might be the first I've heard of that with either the 3.5" or 7" radios. I don't know to blame the thumb drive or the radio. Does the owner's manual for the car offer any insight? The manual seems to be several pages long for the 7" radio/infotainment system.
2- Shuffle, I don't know for sure, but this does not surprise me. Hence my system I've outlined in my earlier message- all tracks 1 from each album go in file folder "Tracks 01". All tracks 2 from each album go in file folder "Tracks 02", etc. And yes, you have to use 01, 02 and so on, not just 1 and 2, something about numeric order once you hit file folder 10 and higher.

Steve.
1) the 2020 FIAT Spider 124 7.0 Connect manual is 170 pages. I'll get through the important parts eventually. Interestingly, Visteon (Ford's old components subsidiary) is mentioned several times. Apparently it is still a Mazda supplier.
2) Does your system mean shuffling within the Tracks 01, 02, etc. folders? I prefer to shuffle all songs but recognize that may not be possible due to folder limitations (you mentioned 250ish tracks).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
170 pages?! Just how the h*** is someone supposed to... never mind.

I never need to hit the shuffle button to play my file system. Each folder plays through from beginning to end normally, then automatically starts the next folder, and so on. But this creates a playlist that gives me a new song by a new artist with each song played. Like my own private radio service, but it just takes many, many months to hear a song repeat after 4000+ other songs have played first.

Does that help?

Steve.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts