Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in June I taught my 21 year old how to drive my new manual Abarth.

He proceeded to get pulled over (on a local road I specifically told him not to speed on) doing 66 mph. Without a front plate too. He hasn't driven it since.

He just got out of traffic court; parking on pavement, $150 fine + a tongue lashing from the judge, a class tonight on impact of reckless driving + the defensive driving class.
No points. All in all he got off easy.

I might even let him drive it again. But I won't be putting a front plate on anytime soon.
All's well that ends well ;)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Kind of the judge - and hopefully a lesson learned.

God knows I made it through my teen / early twenties driving days unscathed by pure, dumb luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Kind of the judge - and hopefully a lesson learned.

For sure. My wife (who he called up to the bench) said he wasn't too pleased with the deal the cop offered my son. Hence the tongue lashing. Actually told my son he HAD to attend the class tonight and didnt care if he had something else to do.
My son is missing a physics class. He's probably not to bummed ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
21 years old and he is just learning to drive? I have heard this generation is losing interest in driving, based on their internet based social interaction. most of this concept is hard for me to get my head around. for me when I was sixteen, I got my driver's license (albeit a restricted minor's license, time of day operations). for me it was one more step towards ultimate freedom, which started when I learned to ride a bicycle, and progressed further with the automobile. it seems a little difficult to comprehend nowadays the youth is not seeking the same freedom and independence which I once dreamed of and always strived for......... just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
21 years old and he is just learning to drive?
I read it as just learning to drive STICK. I'm assuming he already knew how to drive an auto.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's correct. Got his permit on his 16th birthday.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Back in June I taught my 21 year old how to drive my new manual Abarth.

He proceeded to get pulled over (on a local road I specifically told him not to speed on) doing 66 mph. Without a front plate too. He hasn't driven it since.
Gee....lucky he doesn't live here, 30mph over here is instant licence suspension and a USD$600 fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky indeed.
Here in NY, one NEVER pleads guilty to a traffic violation. If you show up in court it will be reduced.
Municipalities are just looking for revenue. It's a joke.
Thankfully, there are enough stupid people who plead guilty and/or just don't show then pay full freight plus.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Lucky indeed.
Here in NY, one NEVER pleads guilty to a traffic violation. If you show up in court it will be reduced.
Municipalities are just looking for revenue. It's a joke.
Thankfully, there are enough stupid people who plead guilty and/or just don't show then pay full freight plus.
Take it to court here and lose and they'll double the fine. Doesn't work like that here! If it worked like that here the courts would be in gridlock

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
You don't list your location, but I think in Texas that might have been a lot more expensive, and a "go to jail" scenario.
I hope he behaves more intelligently in the future.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Heading back to college in 2 weeks for his senior year, so we're working on the intelligence thing ;)

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
25 Posts
You don't list your location, but I think in Texas that might have been a lot more expensive, and a "go to jail" scenario.
Best regards
Pete
Based on experiences of coworkers, (and assuming impairment via alcohol/drugs isn't involved and nobody is hurt) in Texas it's best to hire a traffic lawyer, and get it reduced along with a big batch of other tickets he represents to something far less; you'll probably have to go to defensive driving at those speeds, and it'll be expunged from your record if you stay legal for the next N months. Lawyer gets his fee, government gets their fee, you keep on driving. (I'm not a lawyer, nor an advertiser for one - just passing on what seems to happen here).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I got caught at 19 over (I was on a 50mph connector about to merge into 65mph traffic - total joke, but couldn't argue). Cop reduced it on the spot to less than 9 over and I then had the option to accept a no-point $100 fine and reduction to something dumb like improper use of high-beams (at 11 in the morning :)) which doesn't get reported to insurance companies.

Had I gone to court, I'd have been back up to defending 19 over and hoping the judge was in a good mood.

That's my one and only speeding ticket and ironically comes at a time in my life where I'm actually pretty good about sticking to limits. It certainly wasn't always so...

Reactions: Stillrollin
1 - 14 of 14 Posts