·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Outstanding!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Been working on the Pi data framework and ICE interface for the last week or two. This video shows the progress - this is live OBD2 data sreaming over bluetooth as well as GPS data from a GPS dongle attached to the Pi.

As the previous prototypes showed, each section of the interface can be modified to show any metric and I've added configurable color coding for each metric to show high and low warning (yellow) ranges, high and low danger (red) ranges and cold (blue) ranges. The video shows color changes on some of the metrics and me using the scroll controller to switch the metric in different sections.

The GPS metrics were set up with test ranges just to show the color functionality. On the OBD2 side, a problem reading the coolant temperature was causing the rest of the data not to be updated, plus some of the metrics need to be formatted better - some work still to be done there.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with progress - the biggest issue at the moment is that getting the ICE to connect to the Pi requires everything to be done in a very precise order including some Linux command line to get the bluetooth connection to the OBD2 dongle working. Need to do some more work to make that more robust - the aim is that all you should need to do is power up the Pi, connect to its Wifi from the ICE and start the app. It should be robust enough after that to deal with any disconnects and restart stuff in the background when necessary. That, and sorting out the few OBD2 issues is the next job before I move on to calibrating and hooking up the analog sensors.

EDIT - one day I'll remember video gets filmed in landscape...:)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Turns out manifold pressure minus barometric pressure gets you pretty close to boost pressure. Also, MPH is KPH DIVIDED by 1.609, not multiplied by 1.609 :) I wasn't really doing 170mph officer.

Made some adjustments and it all seems a bit more robust now when starting up. Plug the bluetooth dongle in, start the car, power up the Pi, connect to WiFi in the ICE and its all good. No Linux command line required.

AFR is still not right - the values I'm getting for actual and commanded seem fixed - at 7.45 and 7.5 respectively - need to look in to that a bit more, and I need to check the timing values make sense. Also - the sections on the right are too small - I need to reduce the number of sections and make them larger. However, minor tweaks like that aside, it's all looking good.

With the main framework now in place, I'm moving on to to the analog sensors tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The other thing I need are good values for cold and upper / lower warning and danger ranges for the various metrics. What do you all think? I'm currently making, or planning to make the following available:

Analog Oil Pressure
Analog Oil Temperature
Analog Boost (eventually)
Intake Temperature
Coolant Temperature
Manifold Pressure
Barometric Pressure
Calculated Boost
AFR Actual
AFR Commanded
Timing Advance
Voltage
Vehicle Speed
GPS Altitude
GPS Speed
GPS Latitude
GPS Longitude

What do you thing the right cold, low danger, low warning, high warning and high danger values should be for each? Obviously not all metrics will need all values.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Actually - what I might do with the right hand side is split it in to three sections that lists any metric currently in its cold, warning or danger range respectively. For danger, I'll have it flash or something if a metric is currently in a danger range and then stay steady red until you click on the section to acknowledge the alert if the metric subsequently drops out of the danger range - that way you should be able to see if, for example, oil pressure went dangerously high or low briefly, but you missed it because you were concentrating on driving or something.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Turns out heat shrink solder joins give off enough smoke to trigger smoke alarms and also our centralized alarm monitoring service works.

😱🤷🏼‍♂️🙄

·
Registered
770 Posts
emm
I have a more intuitive scan tool
It’ll show me oil temp, oil pre, and exact coolant temp as well

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
emm
I have a more intuitive scan tool
It’ll show me oil temp, oil pre, and exact coolant temp as well
Can you tell me which tool you are using? Coolant temp I believe, but none of the tools I've seen have been able to show oil temp or pressure - I don't believe those PIDS are supported by the car.

I started this project primarily as a way to display values such as oil temp and pressure from add-on analog sensors without having to add external gauges to display the data. I'll admit showing only that data available to scan tools via OBD2 / CAN is a bit of duplication - there are a stock of applications out there that can do that, and in fact most of the data I'm showing up until now is available to the ICE directly without the need for any external devices, but doing all this works well as a proof of concept before going to the trouble of wiring in additional analog sensors.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Can you tell me which tool you are using? Coolant temp I believe, but none of the tools I've seen have been able to show oil temp or pressure - I don't believe those PIDS are supported by the car.

I started this project primarily as a way to display values such as oil temp and pressure from add-on analog sensors without having to add external gauges to display the data. I'll admit showing only that data available to scan tools via OBD2 / CAN is a bit of duplication - there are a stock of applications out there that can do that, and in fact most of the data I'm showing up until now is available to the ICE directly without the need for any external devices, but doing all this works well as a proof of concept before going to the trouble of wiring in additional analog sensors.
It is supported but you have to find the code to retrieved it.

I have an Autel Scanner, MS906

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The standard OBD2 PID for oil temperature is OBD2 PID 5C / 92 and isn't supported by the car. If oil pressure is supported, its a non-standard PID and those are notoriously hard to track down unless you pay the OEMs the big bucks for the info.

If you have the info on those PID's share it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The standard OBD2 PID for oil temperature is OBD2 PID 5C / 92 and isn't supported by the car. If oil pressure is supported, its a non-standard PID and those are notoriously hard to track down unless you pay the OEMs the big bucks for the info.

If you have the info on those PID's share it.
I called autel to see if they can support the PIDs to me but the
technical support doesn't seems to have any idea what I am talking about

I believe there is a PID for it but just non standard since I am able to pull it up
a much easier solution is just to get a oil temp gauge

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
...a much easier solution is just to get a oil temp gauge
This is undoubtedly true, but bear in mind one of my goals is to avoid adding additional gauges - hence trying to display data through the ICE.

TBH, this project is as much about me proving I can do it, and being a useful way of learning new tech stuff I was interesting in anyway, as it is about real practical value. In the end, I'm an unrepentant nerd and as the saying goes - "why climb the mountain?" - because it's there. If I end up with something others can use, so much the better.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is undoubtedly true, but bear in mind one of my goals is to avoid adding additional gauges - hence trying to display data through the ICE.

TBH, this project is as much about me proving I can do it, and being a useful way of learning new tech stuff I was interesting in anyway, as it is about real practical value. In the end, I'm an unrepentant nerd and as the saying goes - "why climb the mountain?" - because it's there. If I end up with something others can use, so much the better.
I just hope the way mazda setup their system was easier to customize.

I like how they called everything “apps” like a phone, but unlike a phone you can’t download more “APPS” from a “STORE”, imagine the market and possibility in that if they actually did it

41 - 55 of 55 Posts