Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We argue this all the time in my motorcycle world and the consensus is high octane in the high compression bikes (like my Ducati) and non ethanol in the others (900 Triumph Bonneville)
I know this is a nobrainer in small carbourated and marine but we also figured out that the ethanol messes with fuel pumps and sensors
Now back to the main point.
What does the Fiat 1.4 turbo like better
One station 30 miles away has 94 non eth and that would be great, but around home 89-90 non eth or 93-94/ethanol is my choice
Thanks,Dutch

·
Registered
556 Posts
cool.. more guys w/ bikes & spiders

for me, I think the ethanol / non-ethanol question is more about whether the vehicle will sit for extended periods.
with the bikes I have a non ethanol place close, so I generally fill up there all the time. If I am on a trip or riding a lot, I don't worry about it to be honest.

I would do the same thing with the car, if it was to sit for an extended period, I'd get the non ethanol. For now I simply choose to get Chevron, as the guy who wrenches on my wife's Cooper S recommended it to keep stuff clean (either that or buy Techron at autozone and pour in).

and no, I don't have a strong feeling about gas additives... don't want to create a gas additive version of an oil thread :)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
It's a turbo. The higher octane you throw at it the more likely it is to utilise it.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have not run pure gasoline in my car, but I have noticed a difference in running the lower grade gasolines. on 87, I have found a reduction in performance and mileage. 89 is somewhat better. but running the available 93 definitely runs better. it is my guess the ECU is pulling the timing to compensate for the gas quality (octane rating). the car runs on all fuels, just better with the 93. my car is a daily driver, so the problem with water absorption in ethanol gas over a prolonged period of time is not a factor. in the event I were to store the vehicle over an extended period of time, I would look to fill up with non ethanol or use stabil or some other fuel stabilizer...... just my $0.02....

·
Super Moderator
1,023 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!

cool.. more guys w/ bikes & spiders
BIG SNIP!
. . . don't want to create a gas additive version of an oil thread :)
I think there are a number or suitable alternatives.
We don't seem to have many in Central TX. I find myself buying the 93 at Costco most frequently. I initially thought the car was going to be more expensive to run than the Miata it replaced, but it gets better gas mileage, so I think it's pretty close to even as far as cost goes.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does driving in sport mode affect gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'd only consider lower octane non-ethanol for long term storage. For actual driving, there's nothing to consider - highest octane you can find.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It always comes down to driving habits regardless of mode and mainly how you're pushing through the RPM range. I have driven V8's mainly under 2000RPM and got better gas mileage than people with 4 cylinder engines :D
I think lots of people buying cars with the current fad of turbo 4's or 6's to replace V6's and V8's respectively are quickly realizing fuel savings are not going to happen...

·
Registered
353 Posts
No, unless you drive more aggressively when in sport mode, which you probably do. With equal driving conditions, fuel economy will be the same either way.

Greg
Are you sure, it seems when I put into sport mode, unless driving at high-speeds, the RPM jump up a few hundred RPM?

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Are you sure, it seems when I put into sport mode, unless driving at high-speeds, the RPM jump up a few hundred RPM?
I am absolutely sure. The jump you feel is due to throttle mapping, not anything related to AFRs or timing.

We recently verified this on a dyno. There is NO difference in power with Sport mode ON or OFF on the 124 Abarth.

Greg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is it possible to run 87 octane in a pinch if your MultiAir has been chip tuned? The only reason I'm asking is that there are places in the he middle of the United States where your only option is 87?

I'm running a stock Abarth (as far as engine management is concerned), and had to exactly that when driving through some parts of Nebraska.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
87 should be avoided. Now, if the Martians are invading, and you have to get out of own and 87 is your only options, then sure, you can run 87, but use only light throttle and very little boost. I would limit myself to about 50% throttle or less, which is still enough to travel briskly.

Greg

·
Registered
719 Posts
87 should be avoided. Now, if the Martians are invading, and you have to get out of own and 87 is your only options, then sure, you can run 87, but use only light throttle and very little boost. I would limit myself to about 50% throttle or less, which is still enough to travel briskly.

Greg
Unless of course, the Martians invade and choose to steal our gasoline - then we're SOL!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is recommended to use at least the95 premium here in Australia for the Abarth 124 Spider. I prefer the 98 octane grade

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
87 should be avoided. you can run 87, but..... I would limit myself to about 50% throttle or less, which is still enough to travel briskly.

Greg
With the Pedal Pro in ECONOMY MODE @ setting 9 or is it 7? Anyways....this is EASILY accomplished. Sluggish Mode is a better name.
Aloha Mike

Reactions: depotdan
1 - 20 of 25 Posts