Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after roughly 20 hours of work I gave up. SteveWY on this site was kind enough to gift me his wrapped mirror caps. However I was not quite happy with the flat red of the wrap and some edges were coming up so I got the brilliant idea to paint them. I went to an automotive paint shop and had them custom mix the correct paint code (also given me by SteveWY) and load it into a rattle can. The first try after hours of prep went well till the 3rd basecoat then whats in the first pic happened, disaster! apparently the 10 minutes between coats rule wasn't quite enough. So several hours of stripping and prepping later I went in for a second try, base coat came out ok this time, but the clear ran and some bugs managed to make thier way in. So I attempted to wet sand out the imperfections. Unfortunately I then went to far in and sanded through the basecoat on a couple edges. Back to the paint shop to get more base and clear. I should add that these trips were near $80. Back at it again, and not too bad, but felt like a 3rd coat of clear was necessary......disaster! runs, bugs ect... as seen in the next two pics. At this point I gave up and ordered the damned things since they were finally back stock. I did however manage a decent job on the engine cover and a reasonable job on the tow eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Whoa Steve, you were almost there. Great attempt!! Would you suggest to others (me) to just let an auto body do the deed? Not sure of the cost, because I have yet to get a quote on having my hoops done, as a comparison/ball park cost figure. I think that this could possibly be an avenue for some to consider (me).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa Steve, you were almost there. Great attempt!! Would you suggest to others (me) to just let an auto body do the deed? Not sure of the cost, because I have yet to get a quote on having my hoops done, as a comparison/ball park cost figure. I think that this could possibly be an avenue for some to consider (me).
absolutely! this was a nightmare. Really someone who's better than I at this stuff could probably wet sand and buff those to be nice, but my frustration threshold has been reached and then some.

·
Registered
483 Posts
automotive touchup supplies factory paints at a pretty reasonable cost if you are looking to base coat / clear coat paint parts. I would suggest you read the directions. then do the prep work, then read the directions again before painting. remember when painting bc/cc your base coat is just a color application, you should not have a shine to the base coat, just a solid color. if you need to respray, it is best to allow the time for the paint to dry to the point it is sandable, not just touch dry. the same is true for the clear coat. if there is a run, I would suggest wet sanding it out, paint is time consuming, especially if you are looking for professional results in a DIY environment...... best of luck...

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's all a learning curve and you were getting better attempt after attempt. Maybe get some test panels and keep at it in the spare time and you could end up really enjoying this as a hobby !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I leave painting to the pros, much better job and they'll paint mirror covers for a few beers if you know them. I got hold of a spare grille and mirrors for my Alfa so I asked my pal to paint them for me.

Unfortunately he has an evil sense of humour so I ended up with this-

·
Registered
727 Posts
Red mirror caps from the Mopar catalog. I knew in advance that me and spray paint don't get along.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Painting parts, if you don't have the environment and workspace to do it, often doesn't work too well for the DIYer. Kudos for showing the less-than-perfect attempt that most DIY painters experience. Very few people have even good results with a rattle can. Personally, at this stage, I'll only paint non-visible / non-critical parts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I painted the red lower lip from Desira, because it wasn't Rosso Red, and looked "add-on".
I admit it took a week to get it right, 10 minutes at a time, and many "do-overs", but I'm happy how it turned out with the right shade of red on my Abarth.
LBJ and I have agreed many times since, that it's just less frustrating to let the professionals work their magic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts