Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
That concept kind of looks like it has some Boxster styling cues to my eye.
Since the Spider began life as an Alfa, until Marchionne changed his mind, I wonder if the concept image you posted was an early Alfa rendering (despite the Fiat hood badge).
Thanks for posting the pic!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Wow, that’s a neat little car but I’m glad the 124 turned out like it did.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Wow, that’s a neat little car but I’m glad the 124 turned out like it did.
If that is what the 124 would have looked like I would have purchased the MX-5.
My thoughts exactly. It just looks like another Miata. So glad the Italians got involved with the body design. Our Spiders are sexy little beasts. lol

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It’s definitely frog-faced, more Porsche than Italian.

Reactions: CDNA and CDPond

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is what Mazda should have made the ND Miata look like. PTL the 124 Spider doesn't look like that. Although, that air vent in the hood isn't exactly "not needed" on the 124. Gets to be like a billion degrees under our hoods.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
102 Posts
Clearly I'm biased but to my eyes, design has always been the achilles heel of Japanese automobile manufacture....Furtunately for the world, Italians approach car design, food and fashion as high art.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
This looks like the bastard off spring of an illicit Porsche-Miata rendezvous. In the end, though, Fiat got it right.

• Haha
Reactions: CDPond and Magoffin

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Clearly I'm biased but to my eyes, design has always been the Achilles heel of Japanese automobile manufacture....Fortunately for the world, Italians approach car design, food and fashion as high art.....
FIAT nailed the Spider. There area couple of Japanese cars I like; Nissan nailed the Fairlady Z, and Toyota nailed the 2000GT. Both had outside help.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
690 Posts
Clearly I'm biased but to my eyes, design has always been the achilles heel of Japanese automobile manufacture....Furtunately for the world, Italians approach car design, food and fashion as high art.....
I think all of the Japanese car designers must have really really liked Transformers when they were kids... And it shows in their car designs.

I followed a new Prius today. What a truly hideous looking car. Wtf were they thinking when they came up with that grotesque design? It makes a Pontiac Aztec look stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugly yes but you maybe surprised to know that the Prius is one of the most aerodynamic vehicles on the road. The most aerodynamic SUV is Tesla X. This is mainly because there is not the need for cooling airflow through the car. Much more necessary to have good aerodynamics on an electric car because the current endurance is so poor.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
I can’t believe no one sees the Ferrari in the concept! It’s like a squished (front to back) and heightened 2009 California or 575 maybe with 500x headlamps! I’m not into round cars but I don’t hate it.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Though yellow is not my favourite colour choice, I recognize it's very popular in sports cars. You see lots of yellow Ferraris, Lambos, etc. So perhaps really just an indication of them (FCA) choosing colours they knew were most popular. Here's a website that lists the rank of favoured car colours in the US. https://www.germaincars.com/most-popular-car-colors/

White, black, gray, silver, red and blue make up 97% of that market, and I strongly suspect Canada reflects the same preferences. Everything else is fringe. That list also sounds very much like the colour choices offered for the Spider. Back in the day, when I was actually considering a Miata when they first came out, I was really keen on a British Racing Green with a tan interior. Now that was beautiful!

·
Registered
109 Posts
That concept kind of looks like it has some Boxster styling cues to my eye.
Since the Spider began life as an Alfa, until Marchionne changed his mind, I wonder if the concept image you posted was an early Alfa rendering (despite the Fiat hood badge).
Thanks for posting the pic!
Alfa would have had a different grille, no?

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Wow if they had that car and toned down the front a bit. It’s perfection! There is a tear of joy and realization of true art rolling down my cheek right now!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts