Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
The first image posted by pete124, isn't as bad as one may think but the last image posted by augerhandle is superb. I would give it 10 out of 10

The 1.75 engine would have been much better than our 1.4

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The first image posted by pete124, isn't as bad as one may think but the last image posted by augerhandle is superb. I would give it 10 out of 10

Agree with both. Has there been a manual transmission application of the 1.75L (or Alfa's 2.0L)?

·
Registered
189 Posts

That Alfa prototype looks pretty sorry, too. But, the 1.75L would have been sweet!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Alfa prototype dates back to 2010, I don't recall seeeing any Alfa sketches from 2015ish when "our" Spider was being mulled over?

The Duettotianta concept was by Pininfarina, and they still have it in their little museum in Turin, where it sits alongside a 1983 SpiderEuropa Volumex, pics below from my 2019 visit...
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Hood
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood
Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Steering part
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2017 Red Spider Abarth
45 Posts
I'm glad the Alfa deal fell through. Pininfarina or not, I don't think that concept represents a very good interpretation of the original Duetto, certainly not compared to the way the current 124 harkens back to its original.
But then again, I'm pretty biased. I think the styling of original 124 Spider was pretty incredible, pulling a lot of design cues from the Ferrari 275 GTS. (The 1.75L would have been nice though)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes, rather nice the 275...
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Gear shift Steering part Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this article from 2015 about the partnership between manufacturers and Fiat / Mazda is mentioned. Not much to learn from the article itself but there is an interesting image of what the 124 could have looked like.

124 concept image

Not often the actual car turns out better than the concept graphic.
I agree, actual car looks good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think all of the Japanese car designers must have really really liked Transformers when they were kids... And it shows in their car designs.

I followed a new Prius today. What a truly hideous looking car. Wtf were they thinking when they came up with that grotesque design? It makes a Pontiac Aztec look stunningly beautiful.
Yes, the Japanese, with rare exception, have absolutely no eye for automotive style. They are brilliant mechanically, but they donated all their styling talent to the Italians who are already over achievers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, the Japanese, with rare exception, have absolutely no eye for automotive style. They are brilliant mechanically, but they donated all their styling talent to the Italians who are already over achievers.
Yeah, the numbers had me basically sold on a Supra but then I saw one in person. So bad. And I kept looking and found my 124 Spider !

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I found this article from 2015 about the partnership between manufacturers and Fiat / Mazda is mentioned. Not much to learn from the article itself but there is an interesting image of what the 124 could have looked like.

124 concept image

Not often the actual car turns out better than the concept graphic.
That’s not an official concept image. That’s what is known in the industry as a “rendering.”

That’s a rendering that was commissioned by AutoExpress, as indicated by the watermark. Often, automotive media outlets will hire graphic artists to create a completely-unofficial guess at how an upcoming car could look. The media outlet will then use the image in a preview story. Very commonly done, and not an official image.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think the styling of original 124 Spider was pretty incredible, pulling a lot of design cues from the Ferrari 275 GTS. (The 1.75L would have been nice though)
... or the 3.3 Colombo !

Reactions: TurboTX124
21 - 35 of 35 Posts