Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Ottawa!

Two weeks ago I picked up a "new-to-me" 2018 Fiat 124 Abarth with just under 11K KM (6.8K miles). It's Grigio Chiaro with the black matte stripe, Brembo brakes and the Convenience, Navigation and Visibility group options included.

This car replaced a 2005 Cooper S Convertible that I really, really enjoyed ... at least until the suspension and steering needed over $12K of work after encountering the "pothole from hell" this Spring while it was in an already weakened under body state.

This car is even more fun than that Mini S! I had a lot of complements and envious looks with the Cooper S but nothing compared to to what I've received with this baby! It's gotten a whole lot of smiles, "thumbs up" along with folks just hanging around the car when it's parked at a mall ... SWEET! So far it's been mistaken for a Ferrari once and a Porsche at least twice. Not too many folk around here recognize that Abarth badge ... especially in the upper Ottawa Valley area where our summer cottage is. And I'm now amused by the guys in "hot cars" idling beside me at some Ottawa red lights revving their engines hoping to prove something at the change to green. I guess I disappoint them when I just stick to whatever is the normal traffic flow for that road.

I do have a question for you folk in a snow zone like Ottawa ["On average Ottawa receives 224 cm (88 in) of snowfall annually but maintains an average 22 cm (9 in) of snow pack throughout the three winter months."] ...

When I got my Mini I also got a set of Winter tires on rims because ... well I'm in Ottawa and that's what you do here! Those initial tires lasted the 14+ years I owned that Mini with thread to spare. I obviously don't go out much in the Winter. I should mention here that our main car is a Honda Pilot that we take out in anything ... the Mini only saw sunny winter days and perfectly plowed streets and highways. I'll probably treat the Fiat 124 the same way so I find my self thinking that instead of "Official Winter Tires on a second set of rims" I could make do with a set of "All Weather Tires" like the winter-rated "Vredestein Quatrac 5" OR a really good set of "All Seasons" like the "Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06" and skip the annual winter rim/tire change overs. Any comments from you folk in a similar snow belt?

Regards,
Dave D.

p.s. Anyone around Ottawa going to the "Raduno Chateau Montebello" on Sept 29, 2019? You can find info at http://www.ontariofiatclub.com/event/raduno-montebello-2019/

·
Registered
332 Posts
I live in the snow/slush/sleet/ice belt of northern Kentucky. We don't have any laws requiring winter tires, nor does anyone but transplanted northerners change tires/wheels in winter. A good all-season tire will do just fine in snow on the road up to about 5 cm. If you only take the car out on clear days and essentially clear roads, I don't see why an all-season tire would be a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dave, any good all season should serve your needs given that you'll not be out in any serious snow. Not enough ground clearance for that with the Abarth in any event. Look at Nokian brand as one suggestion. We get some serious snow here in the Albany NY area and those were adequate for me with other 2WD cars except in heavy snow. For that I have an AWD car or our 4WD truck when needed. My Abarth is a 3 season car and going into the garage for storage for the snow months here. Long times ago I drove both a 850 Spider and a 124 Spider all winter using Vredestein tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in Calgary, I'm using the Nokian Hakka 7's studded never had an issue in the winter... The studs are probably a little over kill, but better safe than sorry

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Dave,

I’m from Ottawa, you should look for winter “performance” tires like the Toyo garit and Michelin Alpin. Talk to Andre Corriveau at Slick Automotive and tell him Brodey from MCO sent you ;-).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was your car one of the two heritage stripe Abarths for sale in the GTA? I'm in Ottawa as well and picked up the white 2018 Abarth at the end of August. Heritage stripe, Brembos, fully loaded and with the same mileage. Won't be driving it in the winter so I can't offer too much advice other than that any good quality set of snow tires will do just fine and that the LSD in the back should make things easier when conditions are tricky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was your car one of the two heritage stripe Abarths for sale in the GTA? I'm in Ottawa as well and picked up the white 2018 Abarth at the end of August. Heritage stripe, Brembos, fully loaded and with the same mileage. Won't be driving it in the winter so I can't offer too much advice other than that any good quality set of snow tires will do just fine and that the LSD in the back should make things easier when conditions are tricky.
Yes it was ... I picked it up in North York. You must have picked up the one that was for sale in Caledon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes it was ... I picked it up in North York. You must have picked up the one that was for sale in Caledon.
Yup! Funny they both made their way to Ottawa. I was watching both cars for a few months before I made the trip out and bought the white one.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm in Denver. I ran a set of Blizzaks for the last two winters and sold them with less than 2000 miles on them. Biggest issue was temperature swings here that could see it well below freezing in the morning but above the snow-tires-will-melt level by mid afternoon.

For this winter, I've just put a set of Quatrac 5's on my OEM wheels. I've only done some short drives so far, but I can tell you they are a lot grippier than Blizzaks (as expected) and provide a pretty nice, quiet ride. With the three-peak snowflake symbol, they should do OK in any snow conditions I'm likely to take on in the Spider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm in Denver. I ran a set of Blizzaks for the last two winters and sold them with less than 2000 miles on them. Biggest issue was temperature swings here that could see it well below freezing in the morning but above the snow-tires-will-melt level by mid afternoon.

For this winter, I've just put a set of Quatrac 5's on my OEM wheels. I've only done some short drives so far, but I can tell you they are a lot grippier than Blizzaks (as expected) and provide a pretty nice, quiet ride. With the three-peak snowflake symbol, they should do OK in any snow conditions I'm likely to take on in the Spider.
Thanks for the feedback on the Quatrac 5's. It sounds like they are giving you a great ride in good weather. And thanks to the others who gave their views as well!

I've got at least another month to figure out what tires I'll put on my 124 for the winter but I think I'm leaning to the Quatrac 5 or at least a set of high performance all seasons since I know I'll do very little 124 driving in the winter ... just taking it out in the nicest of weather conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts