Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to show what happened to me.
My car is 2017, Abarth, manual, almost stock.

About 2 weeks ago, I've heard some whining noise from the passenger side or rear. It was a different sound from a turbocharger. When in 4th gear, I could hear some, but when in 5th and 6th gear, only when I pushed the throttle pedal, I heard the noise clearly. I brought my car to a dealer. They found the differential made that noise.
Then they ordered a new differential(head axle) and fluid. Fortunately, it is under the warranty. Then now, I'm free from noise.

As far as I know, the parts number of the differential might be "68332484AA". This part is so expensive. Because of LSD. But on dealer's record, the part number is different, 68337726AA. This is a little cheap. After some talk, some web browsing, I found FIAT changed the number of the differential. (Someone who wants to change their differential might save the money.)

Anyway, just before the noise came up, I had changed the differential fluid(Royal purple)and added Mopar friction modifier. I can remember that the amount was almost calculated correctly. (I usually have used Amsoil for my differential. I just tried to use other option, once. Before then, I never have used the friction modifier.) The reason I say about the fluid is that we might not need the friction modifier. According to the manual of ND, they just put Mazda OEM fluid(long life gf1?) without additives to the differential, even that with LSD. The fact that Miata ND's differential is different from ours aside, the dealer told me he put Mopar OEM fluid (68333589AA) without additives. And According to their manual, it is OK, too.

I don't know which is the cause of the problem. But if you hear any weird- whistle- noise, you'd better take your car in for service.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had that noise early last year and they replaced the differential. (I didn’t change or add any fluid on my own.)

The noise is back. For me, it’s in 6th at 2300 with very light throttle. The same as it was earlier.

Back to the dealership next week. Ugh.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had that noise early last year and they replaced the differential. (I didn’t change or add any fluid on my own.)

The noise is back. For me, it’s in 6th at 2300 with very light throttle. The same as it was earlier.

Back to the dealership next week. Ugh.
Hi fiatmidway124,
If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Fiat Cares

1 - 3 of 3 Posts