Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy @SpiritedAway wanted to really step up the performance on his 124 Abarth... He ordered a long list of performance parts and had them installed by the experts at NGEN. Here's what he got:
  • EC Phase3 Tune
  • NGEN Performance Turbo
  • NGEN Performance Exhaust Manifold
  • aFe Momentum GT Intake
  • EC Intercooler
  • Forge Recirculation Valve
  • Forge Wastegate Actuator
  • SportCat Downpipe
  • Goodwin Crosspipe
  • Goodwin System One Exhaust
  • 4C Ignition Coils
  • Wilwood Front BBK
  • HR Springs
  • Karcepts Front and Rear Sway Bars

He was extremely excited when he got his car back after having everything installed, but that excitement did not last long. The car started to "sound like an old airplane" and wasn't making boost. Turns out the turbo studs were falling out! We installed some bolts to hold it together until the car could get back to NGEN. You can read about that fiasco here: Turbo Stud say BYE

Apparently there was an issue with the studs the turbo supplier installed. NGEN of course corrected the problem, and the Spider came back with the proper turbo studs and everything buttoned back up nice and tight. While we were testing the car out, several issues cropped up. The car was constantly throwing error P0137, randomly going into limp mode from "underboost," and experiencing misfires.

Although we were disappointed in the turbo performance, we were still able to test out the suspension and brake upgrades. In short, they are fantastic. You can watch that test-drive in the video below.

So the car was sent off to NGEN for the third time. Bryan at NGEN was completely committed to getting the car all sorted. He kept the car for awhile experimenting and making sure everything was running smoothly. He found that the car worked best with the stock downpipe and EC crosspipe. The theory being there's an incompatibility issue with the SportCat downpipe and GWR crosspipe. When we got the car back, there were no further issues. In fact, I think it delivers power more smoothly than stock.

The car really rips! There's a noticeable bump in power all through the rev range. I did some timed 40-100mph runs in the video below, but we'll need to throw it on a dyno to really see what's going on. Stay tuned for that.

So what's next? Well Gabriel and I have a theory that the issue was really with the SportCat. We're going to reinstall the GWR crosspipe with the factory downpipe and test it again. This will also give us a comparison between the GWR and EC crosspipes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My buddy Gabriel wanted to really step up the performance on his 124 Abarth... He ordered a long list of performance parts and had them installed by the experts at NGEN. Here's what he got:
  • EC Phase3 Tune
  • NGEN Performance Turbo
  • NGEN Performance Exhaust Manifold
  • aFe Momentum GT Intake
  • EC Intercooler
  • Forge Recirculation Valve
  • Forge Wastegate Actuator
  • SportCat Downpipe
  • Goodwin Crosspipe
  • Goodwin System One Exhaust
  • 4C Ignition Coils
  • Wilwood Front BBK
  • HR Springs
  • Karcepts Front and Rear Sway Bars

He was extremely excited when he got his car back after having everything installed, but that excitement did not last long. The car started to "sound like an old airplane" and wasn't making boost. Turns out the turbo studs were falling out! We installed some bolts to hold it together until the car could get back to NGEN. You can read about that fiasco here: Turbo Stud say BYE

Apparently there was an issue with the studs the turbo supplier installed. NGEN of course corrected the problem, and the Spider came back with the proper turbo studs and everything buttoned back up nice and tight. While we were testing the car out, several issues cropped up. The car was constantly throwing error P0137, randomly going into limp mode from "underboost," and experiencing misfires.

Although we were disappointed in the turbo performance, we were still able to test out the suspension and brake upgrades. In short, they are fantastic. You can watch that test-drive in the video below.

So the car was sent off to NGEN for the third time. Bryan at NGEN was completely committed to getting the car all sorted. He kept the car for awhile experimenting and making sure everything was running smoothly. He found that the car worked best with the stock downpipe and EC crosspipe. The theory being there's an incompatibility issue with the SportCat downpipe and GWR crosspipe. When we got the car back, there were no further issues. In fact, I think it delivers power more smoothly than stock.

The car really rips! There's a noticeable bump in power all through the rev range. I did some timed 40-100mph runs in the video below, but we'll need to throw it on a dyno to really see what's going on. Stay tuned for that.

So what's next? Well Gabriel and I have a theory that the issue was really with the SportCat. We're going to reinstall the GWR crosspipe with the factory downpipe and test it again. This will also give us a comparison between the GWR and EC crosspipes.
Aside from the suspension mods, the rest, IMHO are too many changes at one time without knowing what result each change would accomplish, or even if they are compatible. Way too many install issues/pitfalls at a single time. Just my 2 cents, but I would have approached the project one step at a time. You may end up chasing your tail and going deeper into the proverbial rabbit hole. No offense intended, just an opinion from one who has been there and done that, and ultimately learned an expensive and frustrating lesson.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Aside from the suspension mods, the rest, IMHO are too many changes at one time without knowing what result each change would accomplish, or even if they are compatible. Way too many install issues/pitfalls at a single time. Just my 2 cents, but I would have approached the project one step at a time. You may end up chasing your tail and going deeper into the proverbial rabbit hole. No offense intended, just an opinion from one who has been there and done that, and ultimately learned an expensive and frustrating lesson.
I’m the owner and this is a good point, but some things just have to be done at the same time to be time and cost efficient.

NGEN’s support was great and fixed everything plus made sure nothing similar to this happened in the future.

If I was rich and was super mechanically inclined, it would have been best to do just one mod at a time, test for a month, then install another one.

As you can imagine, this is unfeasable for most of us haha.

I’m satisfied with the project and excited for the final, small tweaks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
So where that downpipe was from?
I have Goodwin's full set ( sport cat, cross, mid, and rs exhaust) and so far was seems normal experience. Bit too loud tho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So where that downpipe was from?
I have Goodwin's full set ( sport cat, cross, mid, and rs exhaust) and so far was seems normal experience. Bit too loud tho.
First tried with the GWR Sportcat but I kept getting a CEL. Switched to the stock downpipe and the CEL disappeared.

Every car is different in many ways, some more finicky and sensitive than others, but glad yours works well.

Brian himself from GWR delivered good customer service and the system one is great.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,007 Posts
How much boost do you hit with the stuffed turbo?
The 6 Blade stuffed turbo is more than capable of achieving 40+PSI and sustain 36PSI quite easily. I have experienced it first hand.

Hotter tunes can be 26PSI up to 30 with lots of knock protection on stock internals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My boost peaks at 22-24 depending on the temperature. @NGEN was in contact with tuning at Eurocompulsion assuring me this was normal and that all cars are different.

After we dyno it, if the horsepower is less than 215hp to the wheels, I will ask EC to double check on this fact.

I currently have the Forge WGA set at 11.5 crack psi, with the yellow spring.

@Calehedron, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,007 Posts
That is in line with what EC Phase 3 should be, 23PSI boost and 210-220ish WHP. With E85 and/or water/meth injection, you can have the boost raised a bit more to 26 for 230-240 at the wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is in line with what EC Phase 3 should be, 23PSI boost and 210-220ish WHP. With E85 and/or water/meth injection, you can have the boost raised a bit more to 26 for 230-240 at the wheels.
Thanks for the confirmation and prompt response.

Will dyno later on March alongside a 100% stock Classica. Same day, same conditions!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Btw I wonder that problem you had was only with EC tune, or if you would run stock tune was the same? Reason for question is- I'm running freshly installed Super stocker from Tork, but was asked to run it for some time on stock tune. So far I had no problems. And I had no problems before that with goodwin's down+cross pipes. But your case making me bit stressed about how it will be with tune update.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Btw I wonder that problem you had was only with EC tune, or if you would run stock tune was the same? Reason for question is- I'm running freshly installed Super stocker from Tork, but was asked to run it for some time on stock tune. So far I had no problems. And I had no problems before that with goodwin's down+cross pipes. But your case making me bit stressed about how it will be with tune update.
EC tuned other cars with the gwr sport cat and had no issues. I wouldn’t sweat it.

If it works well now, it will probably be fine :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hot day, 76f just peaked a few times slightly over 25psi. Like I said, it depends on the temperature. Toby from EC mentioned I can set the crack pressure 11-13psi, and right now it’s at 11.5. Might try 12.5 to see if there’s a difference!

·
Registered
2019 Clasica
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on the tune, but peak PSI isn't really the goal. The upgraded turbo should have better flow characteristics and provide more airflow where the factory one starts to run out of breath.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you for adding this. I just installed EC Phase 3 a few days ago after running the EC stuffed turbo and manifold for two or three weeks. I, too, was concerned that car should be achieving more boost. I peak at about 22 to 23 psi. On hard acceleration the boost holds at peak for an impressive amount of time.

With the EC Phase 3, the car is finally to where I want it be: always feeling like there is a little more to go when driving on normal roads. And, maybe it is just confirmation bias, but the car has never run so smoothly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for adding this. I just installed EC Phase 3 a few days ago after running the EC stuffed turbo and manifold for two or three weeks. I, too, was concerned that car should be achieving more boost. I peak at about 22 to 23 psi. On hard acceleration the boost holds at peak for an impressive amount of time.

With the EC Phase 3, the car is finally to where I want it be: always feeling like there is a little more to go when driving on normal roads. And, maybe it is just confirmation bias, but the car has never run so smoothly.
My favorite part is that now I actually have some passing power, LOL!

Quick question, what WGA/spring/CP are you using?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts