Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Spider has been in storage as it is winter up here so I have my insurance suspended. A month ago, I called the insurance company and said I was taking the car out for a spin. With this notice they will cover me for the day without reactivating the insurance if I stick around home. Of course two days later, I noticed the left front tire was flat. 500 miles on the car - rats. I located a nail sticking thankfully right in the middle of the tread, and it hadn't been ridden on flat so definitely repairable but I wanted it repaired from the inside, rather than just a plug. So today I called the insurance and said I was taking the car out to get the tire fixed. (It was taking 48 hrs to leak down, so I figured I would drive it to a local shop)
One of the things I negotiated with my dealer is some free insurance coverage which included paintless small dent repair, lost key replacement, window ding repairs and road hazard coverage on the tires, among others. So I got it fixed and drove it around in the rare winter's sunshine today. Grabbed a few pictures as it was my first chance to get it out int he sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Been in auto/service repair for decades, and plugged hundreds of tires. But honestly the correct way is an inside patch because it allows you to examine any potential damage to the carcass of the tire. Good decision.

Would be interesting to know if anyone in the neighborhood is doing home improvements or repairs...may be other nails around. I would always tell my clients that flat tires usually come in threes especially if there is roofing/home repair nearby...slight tongue in cheek...not necessarily statically significant, but food for thought none the less. Kinda like oil leaks on an older car, they are like cockroaches...there is usually more than one.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Been in auto/service repair for decades, and plugged hundreds of tires. But honestly the correct way is an inside patch because it allows you to examine any potential damage to the carcass of the tire. Good decision.

Would be interesting to know if anyone in the neighborhood is doing home improvements or repairs...may be other nails around. I would always tell my clients that flat tires usually come in threes especially if there is roofing/home repair nearby...slight tongue in cheek...not necessarily statically significant, but food for thought none the less. Kinda like oil leaks on an older car, they are like cockroaches...there is usually more than one.....
That's exactly the process I know to seal it for good. Too many people just get comfortable with the road side patch kits, leave it like that forever and wonder why down the road they're losing pressure... but that's at best, some don't check pressure.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"Keep a sharp eye out for nails" I see what you did there with your pointed comment. Patched from the inside, and don't forget to have them check and if necessary, re-balance the tire. $38 but fortunately the insurance covered. it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts