Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I am not enamoured with the Abarth 124 is its appearance, but in particular its front. IMHO the Fiat 124 is a far better looker. It has a certain lithe elegance whereas I find the A124 a bit too wannabe try hard “sport. I stress that is only my option, however a car’s appearance has a huge influence if I buy a car or not.

My ideal 124 Spider would be a Fiat 124 body with the Abarth mechanicals (Oh – in dark blue with a red hood / interior, thank you very much– but that will never happen)

However, the F124 is not available at all here in Australia. So the obvious thing is to replace the A124 bumper/grille with that from a F124. Looking at photos this seems possible …….. Yes ???

One thing that seems could be an issue is that it appears to be a little raised “bump” that supports the Fiat badge whereas the Abarth badge seems to be flat on the bumper. Am I imaging things ??

If I can get this bumper swap a happening it would bring me closer to buying a A124

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Would paint on the Abarth front end do the trick?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems I am out of luck

looking at some more pics in detail and it would seem that badge bump is on the Fiat bumper and that would not accommodate the Abarth badge

may need to consider painting

Anyone out there who could assist with a Photoshop of the Blue Abarth 124 ?? Much appreciated

·
Registered
476 Posts
i don't have a F124 hand to compare. but is not the A124 emblem much larger than the F124 emblem. i thought someone else had posted once that this is the case so that the A124 emblem covers the body lines around where the F124 sits? keep in mind that bumper cover is one part but there are probably several other parts like grill and marker lights and others that also needs changed.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i don't have a F124 hand to compare. but is not the A124 emblem much larger than the F124 emblem. i thought someone else had posted once that this is the case so that the A124 emblem covers the body lines around where the F124 sits? keep in mind that bumper cover is one part but there are probably several other parts like grill and marker lights and others that also needs changed.
I don't believe the Abarth emblem is large enough to cover the entire curvature. To make the A124 look like an F123 in the front, I think you would have to replace the whole front fascia, grill and bumper. But it's just money.

Reactions: Not Sure

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think it would be possible. You would probably have to order a Lusso bumper because the Classica does not have bezzels for the fog lights. From what I've seen on the forum it looks like the ABARTH badge is so big so that it fits over the dip for the FIAT badge. That way the Badge conceals the lines instead of needing to re-tool a mold for that little detail. I assume pull of the FIAT badge and fix the ABARTH over it.

If I ever see a Lusso in the wild I'll try to take a close look at it and compare to the ABARTH.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think it would be possible. You would probably have to order a Lusso bumper because the Classica does not have bezzels for the fog lights. From what I've seen on the forum it looks like the ABARTH badge is so big so that it fits over the dip for the FIAT badge. That way the Badge conceals the lines instead of needing to re-tool a mold for that little detail. I assume pull of the FIAT badge and fix the ABARTH over it.

If I ever see a Lusso in the wild I'll try to take a close look at it and compare to the ABARTH.
I just measured my Lusso and the curve in the bumper above the Fiat emblem begins 2 1/2 inches below the opening of the hood. From the lip of the grill, it is 2 inches to the beginning of the indentation just below the emblem. The entire length of the area the the Abarth emblem would have to cover is 6 inches.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had a try at the painting option ,....... could not get the shade quite right but it does look quite OK
I agree with Joe. Having the non-grille components painted in the body color would look great and be much cheaper and easier than switching out the fascia. Somewhere else in the forums is a photoshopped image of the same for a red Abarth 124.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a US model A124 in Argento Silver. I love the interior and mechanicals but like Joseph124 I am not in love with the front-end or the badges. I took it to my local chop-shop about painting the black plastic section in the front in silver and they said it was possible but would chip and peel inside 12 months, but I am encouraged by the photo of the blue Abarth (thx Joseph124, is this your car?). Has anyone else tried replacing the Abarth front-end with that of a Lusso there is a red scratched Lusson bumper on Ebay for $275?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

While still less than impressed with the front end - I will not be colour coding it. The reasons are like those above - my expert painter said the same .......difficult to do properly (especially cutting in around those strakes) and no guarantees about the long term adherence of the paint

I will purchase one of those red lower bars with the intent to "lower" the look of the expanse of black plastic. While on will wrap the bar with body coloured vinyl ....... then make a judgment call - on/off - red/blue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts