Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ...

1. Has anyone been able to upgrade the dull black plastic upper or lower front grilles? I was hoping that there is a metal mesh overlay screen like that is available for the MX5/Miata?

2. Tyres - i am looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 4 either 205 or 215 to replace F/F Bridgestone RE005? I have been advised that the road is better.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers David

·
Registered
132 Posts
1. Zunsport has one for the non-Abarth 124, they were looking for an Abarth to go by their shop to be a development vehicle. That was a few months ago, though, and in the interim the market prospects for the Abarth in the UK--and generally--have probably dampened their enthusiasm for making them.

2. Are you sure you're not thinking of the PS4S? That's the one that's getting the good reviews. The PS4, per Automobile Magazine, "is exclusively a European-market tire, outside of a handful of OEM applications". The 4S does not come in the stock size, though, you'd have to go with the 215. I did and am still well pleased with it as a three season street tire for the Abarth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Zunsport has one for the non-Abarth 124, they were looking for an Abarth to go by their shop to be a development vehicle. That was a few months ago, though, and in the interim the market prospects for the Abarth in the UK--and generally--have probably dampened their enthusiasm for making them.

2. Are you sure you're not thinking of the PS4S? That's the one that's getting the good reviews. The PS4, per Automobile Magazine, "is exclusively a European-market tire, outside of a handful of OEM applications". The 4S does not come in the stock size, though, you'd have to go with the 215. I did and am still well pleased with it as a three season street tire for the Abarth.
Thank you - do you have a contact at Zunsport please so I can make some enquiries? Surely I am not the only 124 Spider owner who seeks the change?
Thanks for feedback re Michelins too.
Cheers, David

·
Registered
617 Posts
In the meantime, I have been using Meguiars Ultimate Black on all of the black trim, including the grill. It's a pain to apply the stuff to each little opening in the grill, and it takes quite a bit of time, but after 3 seasons my grills and black trim are as shiny and black as they were when new.

I just sit on the ground in front of the car with a bottle of Meguiars, a roll of blue shop paper towels, and an acid brush. I use the brush to get the spots I can't get to with the towel. I do this twice a season.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but it is a way to keep the black plastics from fading and getting dull.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the meantime, I have been using Meguiars Ultimate Black on all of the black trim, including the grill. It's a pain to apply the stuff to each little opening in the grill, and it takes quite a bit of time, but after 3 seasons my grills and black trim are as shiny and black as they were when new.

I just sit on the ground in front of the car with a bottle of Meguiars, a roll of blue shop paper towels, and an acid brush. I use the brush to get the spots I can't get to with the towel. I do this twice a season.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but it is a way to keep the black plastics from fading and getting dull.
Thanks Guess I will be sitting on the garage floor this weekend! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Thank you - do you have a contact at Zunsport please so I can make some enquiries? Surely I am not the only 124 Spider owner who seeks the change?
Thanks for feedback re Michelins too.
Cheers, David
Just follow the link that was provided in the first response to your OP, and drop them an email using their contact info. They're very responsive, and I state that from personal experience.

Yes, there is/was interest in this product, and I traded a few emails with the manufacturer. But the challenge is that they need a "donor" vehicle that can be left at their shop for a day or so such that they can take the measurements to fabricate the grill units. Another member of the forum from England was interested, but the logistics didn't work out for him to bring his vehicle to them. So, so far it's not happened.

But, the did have another Spider owner come forward and they were able to do this for the non-Abarth Spiders... but the Abarth's have a different shape to the grills.... They suggested I could send them my front end.... from Canada. Don't be surprised if they suggest the same thing and ask if you want to ship yours from Australia. lol IF, a donor can be found in the UK, that owner would get their grill for free for allowing them to take measurements for subsequent production. I won't speculate as to whether their enthusiasm for this has waned or not. So, if a donor is close to them in the UK and is willing to take a free grill for the effort, many of us would be appreciative. I would purchase the grill, if they ever manufactured it for the Abarth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts