Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Aluminum 124 Abarth (manual) a couple months ago, been a lot of fun even if I'm mostly just commuting back and forth in the north Dallas area (boring roads, traffic)! I like being unique in the land of SUVs, and weather has just been glorious this early Spring so the top has stayed down most of this time.

Only glitches I've seen so far are with the infotainment system - sometimes bluetooth is a bit choppy (fixed by pausing/restarting), and once it didn't play audio for the whole drive despite rebooting phone and restarting car. Something got on the trunk and through the clearcoat that's discolored it a bit, but otherwise still pretty pristine and turns lots of heads.

I wish there was a way to leave Sport Mode on. I get 32+mpg if I baby it with the top up, but I have more fun when I average closer to 22 with the wind in my hair :)

Seth

·
Registered
114 Posts
This car looks great in aluminum. I've not seen one in the wild yet.

I'm celebrating my one month anniversary (traded a 2012 MX-5 PRHT SE) and agree its lots of fun with no issues. Averaging 24.5 mpg so far as I am more interested in maximizing smiles over mpg. Only drive in sport mode as well. Just added the DV+ so installing exhaust and tune will be next up on my mod list!

The discoloration under your clearcoat may be water penetration if it looks like a ghosted or faded area. This is not unheard of on horizontal surfaces where the protective film used in shipping has trapped water. More common in cold winter weather. Might want to do a search. I've read that 5 minutes at ~170 degrees with a hair dryer (or heat gun for the brave) will clear haze cause by water trapped under the clearcoat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car looks great in aluminum. I've not seen one in the wild yet.

I'm celebrating my one month anniversary (traded a 2012 MX-5 PRHT SE) and agree its lots of fun with no issues. Averaging 24.5 mpg so far as I am more interested in maximizing smiles over mpg. Only drive in sport mode as well. Just added the DV+ so installing exhaust and tune will be next up on my mod list!

The discoloration under your clearcoat may be water penetration if it looks like a ghosted or faded area. This is not unheard of on horizontal surfaces where the protective film used in shipping has trapped water. More common in cold winter weather. Might want to do a search. I've read that 5 minutes at ~170 degrees with a hair dryer (or heat gun for the brave) will clear haze cause by water trapped under the clearcoat.
Other than mine, only 124 I've seen in the wild is a red one that tools around my work area occasionally. It's certainly different for the area, where current trends seem to be going towards the i8/Tesla side of crazy electric power to no point (aside from the omnipresent SUVs and trucks of course). Smiles > Miles.

Most of the posts I'm seeing online say it's acid rain, bird poop, or factory defect and I'm not seeing any that were successfully solved by hair dryer (though a few that tried). I took it into the dealership and after a small bit of rubbing compound and solvent had no effect they said whatever it was, it was under the clear coat and recommended taking into a body shop. I think I'll give the hair dryer a bit of a try just in case first, thanks for the recommendation! If I mess it up too bad, I can just to get the hood and trunk wrapped black and pretend I spent $2k more on the car :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
The thread below may help you determine if this is the issue you have. The first post contains a pic on a light colored ND miata and I believe they link to a Toyota TSB further down...

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=607002

If nothing else, it might help someone else out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what happened, but they're gone. I'd resigned myself to trying the hairdryer approach (with an IR thermometer to keep it in range) but when I got it back from the dealer after they reset the CEL for thermostat issues, they were magically no longer there. I'm not sure they were there when I brought it in - but maybe they fixed it while they had it? I've tried looking at in in different lights and angles and just see no evidence of it any longer!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wish there was a way to leave Sport Mode on. I get 32+mpg if I baby it with the top up, but I have more fun when I average closer to 22 with the wind in my hair :)

Seth
Maybe this explains my crappy mileage, as I've been driving mostly with the top down since my November purchase. On my road trip from L.A. to Phoenix last week I finally got up to 25, my highest ever. I suppose my constant use of Sport Mode doesn't help either.

·
Registered
727 Posts
my mileage drops by about 5 freeway driving with the top down. Beautiful weather here in socal so been seeing the lower #'s and bigger smiles :)
Exactly. Who should care about mileage when the top is down.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've switched over to viewing 'miles remaining'; that's the only sure way to know when you have to put the fun on 'pause'.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've switched over to viewing 'miles remaining'; that's the only sure way to know when you have to put the fun on 'pause'.
Has anyone noticed how awfully inaccurate the "range" reading is? I've driven my car to 0 range numerous times, yellow fuel light having been on for awhile, and never have I had to put in more than 9.7 gallons. The tank holds 11.9. I'm glad its on the careful side, but having tried for 8 months to even get 10 gallons into the car (with no success), its a bit like its crying wolf.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Has anyone noticed how awfully inaccurate the "range" reading is? I've driven my car to 0 range numerous times, yellow fuel light having been on for awhile, and never have I had to put in more than 9.7 gallons. The tank holds 11.9. I'm glad its on the careful side, but having tried for 8 months to even get 10 gallons into the car (with no success), its a bit like its crying wolf.
I've heard that it's bad for the fuel pump when you let the gas level get too low, and when the car gets older, it increases the chance of the pump sucking in gunk. This might explain why the manufacturer adds an extra margin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a "reserve tank". In the previous Alfas that I've owned, the range is never accurate. In my 2010 147, the range would disappear altogether when it was below 50-60km; and the Giulietta would also show a zero and I could drive further.

I've averaged between 28mpg (8.3L/100km) and 25mpg (9.5L/100km) in the week that we've got the car, mostly driven top-down. I also stopped watching the average fuel consumption and switched to range instead. Much more fun that way than to worry about how much $$ I'm spending to maintain the grin on my face.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That explains a lot. I am about two months in as well and as others have said, the great weather here in SoCal pretty much means the top is always down. My fuel mileage hasn't been more then 24-25mpg, at best. That and getting lost in the mountains on my way to buy milk probably doesn't help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
and once it didn't play audio for the whole drive despite rebooting phone and restarting car.
Mine does this too. No amount of restarting the phone or the car, or re-pairing fixes it. It just sort of recovers later on in the day.

I did discover a procedure that seems to reboot it. It's weird, but here it is:

Launch the pandora app on your phone. Switch to pandora on the music source list on your infotainment system. Play some pandora music. Switch to Bluetooth. It stutters for a bit, then you have Bluetooth music back.

I say Bluetooth music and not Bluetooth audio because the phone audio works fine through all of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts