Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this carbon fiber engine cover lid on-line and on the Abarth UK web site.

Thought that the Abarth specific engine cover I ordered would be the Carbon Fiber unit... I was wrong. It was the engine cover lid with the scorpion on it... the US version has the word FIAT on it.... same colors, as well.

Pics are of the Carbon Fiber unit and the model I received mounted in the car with the scorpion logo.

Does anyone know where we can purchase the Carbon Fiber unit shown in the attached pics? Is it available for sale in the UK?

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Additional pic that didn?t post correctly the first time... this is the pic of the Carbon Fiber unit from the UK web site.
Pretty sure that is a prototype cover, and the chose not to produce it for production. Yes, huge bummer!

Though Greg at EC has mentioned they are working on one.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Pretty sure that is a prototype cover, and the chose not to produce it for production. Yes, huge bummer!

Though Greg at EC has mentioned they are working on one.
Still crossing my fingers for this...
Greg? Any news?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I think that one came from Japan, very expensive I think in the $4xx. Some one lately posted a Japanese sight where you can it. Actually they had 2 version Carbon fiber and a less expensive one.

Or search engine cover you will see the sight.

Reactions: Joseph124

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think that one came from Japan, very expensive I think in the $4xx. Some one lately posted a Japanese sight where you can it. Actually they had 2 version Carbon fiber and a less expensive one.

Or search engine cover you will see the sight.
I looked but couldn't find one

·
Registered
729 Posts
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but based on that pic of the CF cover, I actually like the 2018 Abarth OEM engine cover better, especially when you add some color to it!

Attachments

Reactions: anthony1943

·
Registered
549 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sorry- I assume from that website

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
That glossy carbon fiber one would look very good in my engine compartment, a perfect compliment to the CF air filter canister from the MaxFlow intake...but not at $540 US!

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am ordering a 2018 Abarth cover. Either going to paint it red with the silver, or try and skin it. The skin kits seem fairly easy just SUPER time consuming, so many layers and so much sanding, then a multi step final polish, then likely adding the silver paint on top. But it could look really good. Or, be an exspensive train wreck.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I am ordering a 2018 Abarth cover. Either going to paint it red with the silver, or try and skin it. The skin kits seem fairly easy just SUPER time consuming, so many layers and so much sanding, then a multi step final polish, then likely adding the silver paint on top. But it could look really good. Or, be an exspensive train wreck.
I'm not familiar with skin kits...?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Saw an episode of "Wheeler Dealer" where they dipped a wheel in water and had this snakeskin-looking vinyl bonded to the wheel, I think it's called "hydroforming", or something like that? Would be the easiest way to put a CF "skin" on a plastic engine cover, but have no idea who does it or what it would cost, at least here in the States. It has to be less than the CF cover from Japan, although that piece would be real CF, not a skin...but still...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm not familiar with skin kits...?
I will post some links later. But you should look it up on You Tube. There are not only how to videos but reviews of the different kits. One that seems to be the best is from the UK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts