Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I still have a month or more of down-time waiting on my Corbeau seats to arrive, I've decided to spend the time working on the interior of my car. I posted how I reupholstered the door cards and upgraded the stereo system. Here is what I'm doing to the plastic interior parts. I'm redoing them in carbon fiber. Real carbon fiber, not vinyl wrap. Here is the first completed part, the drivers side door sill. I also added an illuminated scuff plate that lights up when you open the door. The power wires are still visible as I'm still working on the interior and was powering them with a 12V adapter. 馃槈

FYI: The scuff plates are no longer available. It was a vendor that got shut down by Fiat right after I bought these. I found out after I tried to order a second set. Although if you scour AliExpress they might pop up again. $80 bucks a set and they took 8 weeks to arrive. Which worked out great because if something takes too long to arrive AliExpress refunds your money, so I got them for free!

Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
@TX_Bandit Didn鈥檛 you buy the maxton spoiler? Why didn鈥檛 you just wrap that in real carbon? It would have made it both more rigid and fix the it鈥檚 a cheap piece of plastic look. Actually what would be super cool if if you wrapped it into the factory spoiler! Then you would be able to just take the fasteners off the spoiler and remove the whole wing any time you wanted. Are you sure we can鈥檛 pay you to make us cool carbon parts?馃槈

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrapping the Maxton is on my road map. From what I have read, the factory trunk spoiler is mounted similar to the windshield surround. The mounting clips are prone to breaking if you take it off.

As for building parts to order, I simply don't have the equipment to do so in a way that would be economically feasible. Right now, everything I make is by hand.

Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
As I still have a month or more of down-time waiting on my Corbeau seats to arrive, I've decided to spend the time working on the interior of my car. I posted how I reupholstered the door cards and upgraded the stereo system. Here is what I'm doing to the plastic interior parts. I'm redoing them in carbon fiber. Real carbon fiber, not vinyl wrap. Here is the first completed part, the drivers side door sill. I also added an illuminated scuff plate that lights up when you open the door. The power wires are still visible as I'm still working on the interior and was powering them with a 12V adapter. 馃槈
View attachment 85336
FYI: The scuff plates are no longer available. It was a vendor that got shut down by Fiat right after I bought these. I found out after I tried to order a second set. Although if you scour AliExpress they might pop up again. $80 bucks a set and they took 8 weeks to arrive. Which worked out great because if something takes too long to arrive AliExpress refunds your money, so I got them for free!
These carbon fibre sills look outstanding! Were they listed under a generic name? I.e. Miata ND Carbon Sills, or was it something more elusive? :geek: Very jealous!

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Home made. Check out this how to video:

You can buy a kit, as show in the video, to get started.
Once you know what you need you can just buy the materials in bulk at a much lower price.

If you just want to buy them you can get them here: Carbon Fiber Door Sills for ND Miata
I will do pretty much the entire interior for less than the cost of the pre-made door sills.

Registered
@TX_Bandit between yourself and another member here we can make the alphas jealous of our fiat or mazda interior! Other member is covering a lot of panels in alcantara. He鈥檚 in the UK though. 馃様

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@TX_Bandit between yourself and another member here we can make the alphas jealous of our fiat or mazda interior! Other member is covering a lot of panels in alcantara. He鈥檚 in the UK though. 馃様
LondonAbarth124 is the member doing the Alcantara work.. He is doing a lot of his own work and fortunatley has a friend that does upholstery to help. Upholstery is something I never learned to do. He is making some really nice updates to the interior of his Spider. If the two of us could collaberate on a car together we could knock it out of the park!

Registered
If I possessed both your skills my car would be amazing! I am in awe of the two of you, maybe I will try and attempt to wrap come parts in carbon and dare I say alcantara in the future. I shall start with the maxton spoiler if I ever receive it! Thank you for bringing these opportunities to light! Btw my bank account hates the lot of you! Lol

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Modding a car is like crack. Except it costs more.
The video I linked does a really good job explaining carbon fiber wrapping but I'm happy to offer advice, just drop me a DM via the conversation feature in the forum. First tip: Wear latex gloves, long sleeves and a mask. Carbon fiber is itchy as hell and not something you want to inhale. As a material it is easy and safe to handle, but once you start cutting and sanding it, look out. You want to wear gloves to keep the resin off your skin. First for health reasons, it may irritate the skin for some. But mostly because epoxy resin is all but impossible to get off your skin and out from under your fingernails. If you don't wear gloves it will look like you have been playing with tar.

Registered
For sure I will have questions and require guidance if I attempt this. Thank you for the video it is something I have seen before but awesome to have it here so I don鈥檛 have to search for it.

Registered
Home made. Check out this how to video:

You can buy a kit, as show in the video, to get started.
Once you know what you need you can just buy the materials in bulk at a much lower price.

If you just want to buy them you can get them here: Carbon Fiber Door Sills for ND Miata
I will do pretty much the entire interior for less than the cost of the pre-made door sills.
I love the cheesy background music on this. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
LondonAbarth124 is the member doing the Alcantara work.. He is doing a lot of his own work and fortunatley has a friend that does upholstery to help. Upholstery is something I never learned to do. He is making some really nice updates to the interior of his Spider. If the two of us could collaberate on a car together we could knock it out of the park!
You are too kind TX! :geek: Swapsies? I'll wrap select parts of your interior in Alcantara if you wrap select parts of mine in CF!

Hats off to you for taking the step to do it via this method, it seems considerably more complex than applying spray adhesive and wrapping plastic in Alcantara. I had enquired about wrapping the rear diffuser, side sills and fog light surrounds in a CF vinyl, but courtesy of the texture of the plastic it isn't easily done unless prepared with a primer and sanded down. Do you intend on doing the exterior?

Reactions: TX_Bandit

Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you intend on doing the exterior?
I would like to but it will depend on the parts as (1) they need to be removed in order to 'tuck' the CF ends out of sight and (2) avoid getting epoxy resin where you don't want it. I'd like to do the windshield surround and duck tail spoiler on the trunk but have read that Fiat did not design those parts to be removable, the attachment clips break when uninstalled. I would like to avoid buying expensive new factory parts just to get a look. I'm still in the planning stages regarding the exterior, so we'll see where it winds up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts