Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 124 Urbana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Urbana. So, I have the same engine, auto transmission (but without paddles), brakes, microfiber seats, 17 inch Bridgestone summer tires, and spring rates as the base Abarth? The only differences are the limited slip differential, Bilstein shocks, exhaust, under hood strut, red tach, and paddles? And a few cosmetic differences?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't think that's quite correct, since the Urbana is a Classica, so the spring rates might differ from the Abarth.

EDIT: Rear stabilizer bar sizes differ, not the coil spring rate, so I guess you were somewhat correct after all. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
You don't have same brakes and springs. And no sway bar. And the brake master cylinder is different. And you're missing the strut brace. Let's see... what else... no sport mode. Different interior panels. Different seats. Different front facia. Different exhaust. Different matts/carpets. Different front fenders and rear quarter panels with inserts. What else...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Why not just enjoy what you have?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only other difference is that the tire pressure monitoring system on the Abarth resets automatically, whereas with the other models you have to perform a manual reset. Not a big deal. Although I have an Abarth and love it, I do admire the styling of the Classica and Urbana models which look very classic.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
From what I read about "The Urbana" you have a lovely piece of kit there anyway, the HP difference is only 4hp for US whereas the difference from Classica/ Lusso to Abarth is 30 hp. I never saw a 124 Abarth (still haven't) when I bought my car and "it" was the only 124 Spider in stock at my localish multi franchise dealership Vospers .Lots of MX5 ND's about but the RED Spider took my fancy immediately. When I saw photo's of the 124 Abarth initially I thought it too aggressive looking and some the UK Motoring press said, "It tries too hard" they also said that they would choose the "Lusso" over it, based on equipment and price difference Lusso £25-26000, 124 Abarth £32-36000 as not worth the money.
The 124 Abarths for sale now are only average £2-4000 dearer than a Lusso £16-20000 so "for the money" make sense and as I have got used to seeing them on this site, I have to say that the appeal has grown, though...No, I will not be trading my Abarthised, Lussoised, B*st*rdised, 124 Classica in for one. After 3 months ownership you will know what, if anything, needs modding to suit you. Enjoy the Ride, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2020 124 Urbana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cosmetic differences aside--I'm only interested in mechanical differences--the point of my post is that if all I have to do, to make my Urbana into an Abarth, is to fit Bilstein shocks and a tower brace, then why not? Everything else seems almost exactly the same. Responding to some of the posts, the micro fiber seats, that came in the Urbana, are supposed to be the same as the stock seats in the Abarth--as is the stitched dash. Yes, the Abarth has different looking wheels, but they are still 17's fitted with Bridgestone S001's (I think that's the tire). I don't believe my brakes are any different to the standard brakes that come on the Abarth--is that true? Interestingly, according to this fabulous article on our cars: 21st Century 124 Spider ~ Complete Specifications & Tidbits

The standard 124's actually have the same spring rates but THICKER rear sway bars?!

124 SPIDER ~ SUSPENSION
Front:

→ →Double wishbone with aluminum control arms (same as ND MX-5)
→ →Tokico shocks (Classica, Lusso)
→ →Bilstein shocks (Abarth)
→ →Coil spring rate: 162 lbs.
→ →Front stabilizer bar size: 23.6 mm
→ →Strut tower brace (Abarth)
Rear:
→ →Multi-link (5-arm) with aluminum bearing support (same as ND MX-5)
→ →Coil spring rate: 97 lbs.
→ →Rear stabilizer bar size:
→ →→ →Classica & Lusso: 14.0 mm
→ →→ →Abarth: 13.0 mm

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Cosmetic differences aside--I'm only interested in mechanical differences--the point of my post is that if all I have to do, to make my Urbana into an Abarth, is to fit Bilstein shocks and a tower brace, then why not? Everything else seems almost exactly the same. Responding to some of the posts, the micro fiber seats, that came in the Urbana, are supposed to be the same as the stock seats in the Abarth--as is the stitched dash. Yes, the Abarth has different looking wheels, but they are still 17's fitted with Bridgestone S001's (I think that's the tire). I don't believe my brakes are any different to the standard brakes that come on the Abarth--is that true? Interestingly, according to this fabulous article on our cars: 21st Century 124 Spider ~ Complete Specifications & Tidbits

The standard 124's actually have the same spring rates but THICKER rear sway bars?!

124 SPIDER ~ SUSPENSION
Front:

Rear:
Your alloys are most likely lighter than 124 Abarth alloys at 22 + per corner, I kept the Tokicos and swapped coils to Eibach Pro-Fit. The strut brace according to some experts is actually not required because the stresses are distributed across the suspension rather than at the tower points, therefore the brace is for looks more than support (I will look and see if I can find that info again) The sway bars are good, people change them but actually the UK MX5 boys favour and buy our discarded bars as theirs are thinner, apparently.
The only downside I see to your thread is that you (and I) risk upsetting one or three 124 Abarth Guys here who see their Abarth as superior when I totally get what you are establishing, yes, no great differences other than body styling, and as enthusiasts we modify to suit our individual desires anyway. Having said that....
If I had an aircraft hanger sized garage like some of you boys stateside, even a double I would proudly have a 124 Spider Abarth in Red / Black sat alongside my 124 Classica, minus those heavy alloys and the standard Record Monza exhaust in favour of some lighter black alloys and a Goodwin system one ! By I haven't so I can't. Cheers
ron
STRUT BRACE......Above I stated not required....The Multi Link set up is why and I found the thread about it....."Cross Brace and Strut Bracing, Should I ??". 2017 by "Unknownsir"

·
Registered
882 Posts
FCA did a good job with the Urbana Edition overall. It is a very attractive package.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
FCA did a good job with the Urbana Edition overall. It is a very attractive package.
And that's from "The Man" with one of, if not the Best looking 124 Spider Abarth in existence !

·
Registered
2020 124 Urbana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice to get a compliment from an Abarth guy! Hey, I'm not rich and I wasn't comfortable with the price differential for the Abarth. I own a 500 Abarth, but that was a no-brainer as it's a totally different car from the regular 500. Has anyone ever tracked a regular 124 against an Abarth? I think all the magazine tests were of Abarths--at the least the ones I saw. Does an Abarth ride stiffer? I'm no longer a fan of extreme sport suspensions. I learned this with the 3 Corvettes I've owned in the last several years. The base suspension is probably 90 or even 95% as good as the Z51 or the suspension on the Z06--and yet it rides 200% better. And (don't get mad) I even prefer autos these days. They're pretty much smarter than me, on a back road when you're going for it. And, of course, any other time it's just 'set it and forget it'. Did 130 miles yesterday, on back country roads, and averaged 34 mpg. Very happy with that. By the way, when I pulled the pan, under the engine, to change the oil I saw two tabs sticking out the back of the aluminum pan that were threaded for something. What?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Limited slip and sport mode are bigger deals to some people than others.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before I bought my Abarth I went for a test drive (normal mode, didn't know about "sport") in the dealers track day car, straight through exhaust and whatever else it had! It seemed fine and I closed the deal. Upon driving mine I was disappointed until I switched to sport, everything's fine now and never use normal mode.

We don't get anything here other than the Abarth so can't compare. It does make me wonder what the drive is like in the Classica/Lusso though and maybe customers in other markets don't get to experience the difference, if it exists?

I could, of course, just be a petrol head :cool:

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
215 Posts
LSD probably only mechanical thing you may want to add. As about sport mode button it can be easily replaced with the tune and you will have it all the time by default without need to activate every time you start your car))

You can always replace shocks and springs if want firmer ride, but I would keep stock sway bars. Adding front braces might be another nice addition without compromising comfort. Having wider tires with stock sways not good idea if you don't want boat like bodyroll))

P.S. sometimes I wish Fiat made Urbana as like Mazda did with Miata Grand Touring GT-S Classy looking with all sporty goods.

·
Registered
60 Posts

124 SPIDER ~ SUSPENSION
Front:

Rear:
It's more than shocks, a lot more. We've tried to help but it's not clear that you really want it. Looks like you maybe trying to convince yourself that your Classica/Urbana is somehow almost an Abarth. But it's not.

·
Registered
2020 124 Urbana
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't get the last post. Not clear that I really want it? The point is to figure out exactly what ARE the differences, and if I want to change them on my Urbana. I know about limited slip but that's irrelevant in a car of this horsepower. It's impossible for 160, or even 200 hp, to break the rear wheels loose if you floor the car out of even a 25 mph corner. Especially with decent size summer tires, which is what I have. If the sport mode is what I think it is--like on my 500 Abarth--then it just limits boost. So, I'm guessing my Urbana is in 'sport' mode all the time--by default. And I don't have to press the button every time I get in the car. Forgive me being suspicious of Fiat's motives in selling the Abarth for such a lot more money. The Abarth should have come with bigger brakes standard and higher boost for more horsepower.

The reason I fell in love with the 124 was I drove a Miata first. It was dreadful. On my favorite road--sort of a 5 mile Tail of the Dragon--the body roll was ridiculous. I was laughing it was so stupid. I'd recently driven a front drive rental car in Europe and it would have kicked the Miatas ass. But I went to the Fiat dealer, drove a 2019 Lusso and was mightily impressed. There was just a bit of initial roll and then it held it there and you could corner at ridiculous velocities. Day and night difference with the Miata. I was sold.

When the 124 came out in 2017 I did drive an Abarth at the local dealer. And blitzed some roundabouts. It was great but I was in my high horsepower period (650 hp, 600 hp, 550 hp) and the power just didn't do it for me. Also, I believe it was only available as a stick and my wife couldn't have driven it.

I drive country roads FAST. The sides of my tires show wear marks. I like driving fast. And the Ubana rolls. I'm trying to figure out if and why an Abarth might be just that little bit better. But if it has the same spring rates and roll bars, it's not going to perform much differently. I think getting a set of the Bilsteins might be the only thing I need to 'turn it into an Abarth' as the last guy condescendingly put it.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
The only other difference is that the tire pressure monitoring system on the Abarth resets automatically, whereas with the other models you have to perform a manual reset. Not a big deal. Although I have an Abarth and love it, I do admire the styling of the Classica and Urbana models which look very classic.
That's because the Abarth has direct TPMS sensors.... actual sensors mounted in the wheels. All the other models use indirect TPMS as a means to garner tire pressure. Some sort of algorithm based on sensor feedback on tire rotation differences and such that somehow magically gets translated into some sort of pressure reading. Above my pay grade to understand, but if you search here you'll find lots of threads that talk about the direct/indirect sensor functionality. Hence the difference in reset procedures.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your alloys are most likely lighter than 124 Abarth alloys at 22 + per corner, I kept the Tokicos and swapped coils to Eibach Pro-Fit. The strut brace according to some experts is actually not required because the stresses are distributed across the suspension rather than at the tower points, therefore the brace is for looks more than support (I will look and see if I can find that info again) The sway bars are good, people change them but actually the UK MX5 boys favour and buy our discarded bars as theirs are thinner, apparently.
The only downside I see to your thread is that you (and I) risk upsetting one or three 124 Abarth Guys here who see their Abarth as superior when I totally get what you are establishing, yes, no great differences other than body styling, and as enthusiasts we modify to suit our individual desires anyway. Having said that....
If I had an aircraft hanger sized garage like some of you boys stateside, even a double I would proudly have a 124 Spider Abarth in Red / Black sat alongside my 124 Classica, minus those heavy alloys and the standard Record Monza exhaust in favour of some lighter black alloys and a Goodwin system one ! By I haven't so I can't. Cheers
ron
Not offended at all Ron, but why has no one mentioned the extra 10hp I get from having an Abarth Scorpion embossed on my Alcantara Centre Armrest cover...... I would have loved it if FCA had bothered to try and sell more, any more Spiders in the UK, by bringing out new versions.... The SDesign was it except Launch Editions.... Lots of options to make the Urbana your own.... Keep us all posted. G

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
SNIP!
It's impossible for 160, or even 200 hp, to break the rear wheels loose if you floor the car out of even a 25 mph corner. SNIP!
I guess you never watched Hammond test the Abarth, because l recall him getting pretty frisky with the car. And I’m pretty routinely stepping out when the opportunity presents itself. If you’re at such low rpm that there’s little torque, I suppose getting that inside tire loose is problematic. Try it at 3000rpm with LSD, and it’s a different matter.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
413 Posts
I guess you never watched Hammond test the Abarth, because l recall him getting pretty frisky with the car. And I’m pretty routinely stepping out when the opportunity presents itself. If you’re at such low rpm that there’s little torque, I suppose getting that inside tire loose is problematic. Try it at 3000rpm with LSD, and it’s a different matter.
Best regards
Pete
Shoot...Even my stock motored NA would break the rear end loose on sticky tires...
This car does it easily....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts