Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Unless you do a DIY badge change like others have done, the effort and cost involved to change the badge is fairly high as I believe you have to buy the whole assembly / pad / airbag to change over a 2017/2018 to Abarth badge, so its more than buying a badge.
I apologize if this has been answered before... I searched but could not find it. Does anyone know how to go about replacing the assembly/pad/airbag? Is this something you just go to a dealer and ask about? Has anyone gone this route? If so how much did it cost? I know it's expensive for just an emblem but I'm wondering what it would cost and how to do it if I don't end up liking the sticker/emblem route.

· Registered
2,090 Posts
I apologize if this has been answered before... I searched but could not find it. Does anyone know how to go about replacing the assembly/pad/airbag? Is this something you just go to a dealer and ask about? Has anyone gone this route? If so how much did it cost? I know it's expensive for just an emblem but I'm wondering what it would cost and how to do it if I don't end up liking the sticker/emblem route.
The airbag cover can be replaced easily in about 30 minutes. See if you can source a 2019 or 2020 Abarth cover from your dealer.

Dan

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,519 Posts
Just do a youtube search for installation of a LED steering wheel on a Mazda, and you'll see what's involved. It's not as bad as you might think, but key is disconnecting the battery first, and then letting all the residual electricity in the vehicle drain before removing it. If memory serves, it's three interal bars you have to slide away through access holes behind the steering wheel, and then once you pop off the airbag assembly, disconnecting a couple of electrical couplings. Then putting the new one in and revesing all the previous steps.

But I think you'll have a coronary once you see the sticker price on the replacement airbag assembly. Don't hold me to this, but I believe they'll come in around $1000 USD. Certainly in that range, plus or minus a hundred bucks.

· Registered
798 Posts
Old thread, but I don't want to start a new one. Maybe some of you are still around...

I had two of the Murat steering wheel badges. The first one lasted a couple of years, and I'm on the second one. The adhesive really isn't holding very well any longer. And since this is the last badge that I have I need to make it work. Any suggestions on an adhesive that I could use that would still allow it to be removed cleanly at some future time? That is, I'm sure I could superglue the think in place but that would be a mess if I wanted/needed to remove it.

Anyone used any other adhesives for one of these?

· Registered
743 Posts
Old thread, but I don't want to start a new one. Maybe some of you are still around...

I had two of the Murat steering wheel badges. The first one lasted a couple of years, and I'm on the second one. The adhesive really isn't holding very well any longer. And since this is the last badge that I have I need to make it work. Any suggestions on an adhesive that I could use that would still allow it to be removed cleanly at some future time? That is, I'm sure I could superglue the think in place but that would be a mess if I wanted/needed to remove it.

Anyone used any other adhesives for one of these?
I installed my Murat badge around 4 years ago, (I think) and it has held up beautifully.

I cleaned the metal Fiat badge with alcohol, then I used a heat gun to gently warm up both the badge and the metal prior to installing. (not hot, but very warm)

After I stuck it on, I used the palm of my hand to put quite a bit of pressure on the sticker while it was still warm, and I continued off and on until it cooled down. I also used my fingers to press firmly on the edges of the sticker all around to make sure it was 100% adhered to the steering wheel.

Degreasing with alcohol, heating everything up, and putting pressure on the sticker while it cooled worked well for me, the sticker looks like I installed it yesterday.

Reactions: CDPond

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,519 Posts
<edited>
Any suggestions on an adhesive that I could use that would still allow it to be removed cleanly at some future time? That is, I'm sure I could superglue the think in place but that would be a mess if I wanted/needed to remove it.
<edited>
I have one of the Murat badges as well, and over four years still holding in place quite nicely. That said, the vehicle is garaged, and in the summer when I'm "out and about" and it's parked in the sun, I use a sunshade to help keep the temps down. I'm guessing your vehicle might be getting exposed to a lot of heat would would eventually deteriorate the adhesive on the badge. ....rampant speculation on my part...

As far as removing it, I would suggest using the fishing line trick where you use a piece of filament held in tension to gradually work it behind the badge and continue working down until it's released. For reattachment, I'd also suggest using something like a 3M adhesion promoter pad (being careful not to drip any down on the rest of the steering wheel), and then as @steve6225 recommended, clean the surface thoroughly with an alcohol prep pad (and as I suggested, then use a 3M adhesion promoter), heat both the badge and the wheel and apply with pressure till it cools off. I'd try this first with what adhesive still remains on the original badge you're removing and see if that works. I don't have any recommendations for a replacement adhesive, but I think the consideration would be something that sticks well, but is also removable.

· Registered
396 Posts
I got mine from Badge King. They have a Facebook page but no website.
Really good work and highly recommended.
My hood badge image was taken in frost so it does stand up to cold temperatures as well as hot.
I also put it on my steering wheel and trunk/boot too.
They can customize anything too.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

Font Motor vehicle Wood Rectangle Symbol

Vehicle Car Speedometer White Motor vehicle

Vehicle Speedometer White Motor vehicle Car

· Registered
2017 Abarth MT
43 Posts
[SNIP] I think you'll have a coronary once you see the sticker price on the replacement airbag assembly. Don't hold me to this, but I believe they'll come in around $1000 USD. Certainly in that range, plus or minus a hundred bucks.
I bought a genuine 2018-19 steering wheel airbag with the Abarth logo from Mopar about a year ago. SKU was 6TK51U0DAA. I paid $593 at the time, but a quick check shows they are selling for a little more than that in most places now. Swapping it for the Fiat logo airbag in my 2017 Abarth took less than 10 minutes.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,036 ·
I bought a genuine 2018-19 steering wheel airbag with the Abarth logo from Mopar about a year ago. SKU was 6TK51U0DAA. I paid $593 at the time, but a quick check shows they are selling for a little more than that in most places now. Swapping it for the Fiat logo airbag in my 2017 Abarth took less than 10 minutes.
I could not convince myself to spend that much only for the emblem swap…..the only difference is the embossing from the oem…..will see how long I stay happy with this :LOL:

· Registered
3,519 Posts
I did that for a while. And... I also hear people saying things like... "I wouldn't want a metal disk flying at my neck in the case of an accident."
I was one of those people who made that comment. Some of us first tried using wheel hub stickers, and though they stick on okay, they're also made of aluminum. So as I gave this a bit more thought, I decided I didn't like the idea of an airbag going off and sending that thin disk of aluminum in my face at high velocity.

Then we managed to get a second batch of the OEM look-alike adhesive badges from @murat124, and since they're made like 3D vinyl badges, I felt much more comfortable with that sitting on the steering wheel. They also look great (mine is at least four years old now, maybe as much as five), and is holding in place very well. If I lived in a really hot climate and didn't keep the vehicle shaded I could see how the adhesive might soften and allow the badge to slide over time. Unfortunately the replacement badges haven't been available for years now, so the options are limited.

Some sticker printers can make stuff that looks close, but getting the fine dot appearance on the silver is not something they seem to be able to replicate properly. If a person really wants the Euro-style and later Abarth MY look, the only current option would be the airbag assembly replacement option. Expensive, but I've spent more on other bits and pieces for the car. All a matter of how much a person wants it, what their budget looks like, and if they're okay with the expenditure... which of course varies for all of us.

· Registered
127 Posts
I was one of those people who made that comment. Some of us first tried using wheel hub stickers, and though they stick on okay, they're also made of aluminum. So as I gave this a bit more thought, I decided I didn't like the idea of an airbag going off and sending that thin disk of aluminum in my face at high velocity.

Then we managed to get a second batch of the OEM look-alike adhesive badges from @murat124, and since they're made like 3D vinyl badges, I felt much more comfortable with that sitting on the steering wheel. They also look great (mine is at least four years old now, maybe as much as five), and is holding in place very well. If I lived in a really hot climate and didn't keep the vehicle shaded I could see how the adhesive might soften and allow the badge to slide over time. Unfortunately the replacement badges haven't been available for years now, so the options are limited.

Some sticker printers can make stuff that looks close, but getting the fine dot appearance on the silver is not something they seem to be able to replicate properly. If a person really wants the Euro-style and later Abarth MY look, the only current option would be the airbag assembly replacement option. Expensive, but I've spent more on other bits and pieces for the car. All a matter of how much a person wants it, what their budget looks like, and if they're okay with the expenditure... which of course varies for all of us.
I got in on the @Destructo order (second or third batch of stickers sold through here) - my sticker worked perfectly until the airbag blew it off :) I bought 2 stickers and someday maybe I’ll find the other one and can give it to someone… I mean, like the cup holders and floor mats and maybe a key (although what would you do with a key that’s cut wrong and programmed for another car in addition to having a fiat logo?)…

If I could have had a new 124 now I’d have bought one… We don’t always get what we want!

1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts