Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone who owns, or has at least driven, the GT with the hardtop on please let me know how it affects the chassis stiffness / body rigidity? I'm considering buying the top as an accessory but would like to know what I'm getting before laying out the cash.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hardtop does not effect any rigidity
well, maybe like 0.1% it’s not welded together, it has no effect with a few bolts lol, if you roll that shit you might have a little more protection because it isn’t a piece of cloth, but what will save you is the roll bar not your hardtop

If you want rigidity you’ll need a real Coupe, or a welded Roll Cage, or a stiffer multipoint roll bar like mine (Blackbird GT3). or a good quality chassis brace for cross rigidity

Or a new car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hardtop does not effect any rigidity
well, maybe like 0.1% it’s not welded together, it has no effect with a few bolts lol, if you roll that shit you might have a little more protection because it isn’t a piece of cloth, but what will save you is the roll bar not your hardtop

If you want rigidity you’ll need a real Coupe, or a welded Roll Cage, or a stiffer multipoint roll bar like mine (Blackbird GT3). or a good quality chassis brace for cross rigidity

Or a new car
Do you own the 124GT?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you own the 124GT?
no, but that is not relevant to understand how physics works.

I own a CF hardtop from DG motorsport. Quality is bad but rigidity wise it makes zero difference with the OEM Hardtop, actually I think my car is safer because I have a GT3 roll bar not the OEM hoop

Agian, ZERO gain in rigidity because it’s a removable top

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a regular Lusso and I bought the GT hard top (How to install Abarth GT hardtop on a Fiat 124 Spider).

The top is bolting to the back of the car but on front it uses the same latch as the soft top. So it is as Klikai said, basic physics understanding works; It has no effect on the body rigidness what so ever.

But it multiplies the cool-factor and looks. I have it for winter use and will soon be removing the hard top.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Con mucho dinero, amigo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts