Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit down in May for my car and it finally arrived yesterday. I bought it from Nyle Maxwell Fiat and they honored the Truecar/USAA price. It was their second or third Abarth, I think the previous ones were AT, mine is a MT.
My red is a wonderful car, I tested it for about 40 minutes and was fully impressed with the cars capability. There was a post about poor low-speed capability and all I can say is that I drove it like I did my 1.8l Miata and it is very responsive. As expected, the car pulls like a locomotive in the midrange and if you keep it in the sweet spot, well, you are in for a serious ride.
Fit/finish is superb, and the car fits me like a glove. Very nice!
The first thing I did was deflate the tires from 45psi - I had heard about this issue and the difference was considerable. It is actually quite comfortable.

I was ready to buy a Miata Club until this last week when Mazda finally 'fessed-up with the release of a transmission that lacks the defect that led to numerous catastrophic failures. There are approx 146,000 cars in this category, every MT car built before 9/16/2016. The Fiat has a strong MT that shifts very quickly and deftly.
My only beef with the car is the location of the ECU in the passenger foot well, which is intrusive. Given the available airspace elsewhere, I wonder why? I am looking forward to many happy hours with this car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Congratulations! It really does pull like a locomotive in in the midrange, and earlier when you toggle the sports button! Fits me like a glove as well. Funny, I had a 91-year-old passenger today and he hopped in & out of the cramped passenger compartment and never complained. Have fun.

Reactions: blsrules

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations! The red is indeed beautiful and very proper-Italian.

I too had a 1.8L Miata, and my 124 feels just like it.

...Until 2,500 RPM. ;)

Enjoy the torque!

·
Registered
727 Posts
BTW, I'm having my red Wilwood 6-piston brakes and some cosmetic work (i.e., installation of red trim exterior pieces) done at "500 Madness" here in Long Beach next week. They are expanding into 124 accessory & performance territory. They have a website.

The manager just told me that the owner is opening his second store in Austin in December. Your neck of the woods!

This is my first time dealing with them so I hope they check out. They were promoting themselves at the Las Vegas SEMA show last week and are presently on display at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gratz pikeman, I got mine from there as well yesterday. :)

Also visited the local Madness location here in Austin. They have quite a few items for the 124 :)

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Madness is a great business. I'm impressed with their owner and the technical people. We're lucky to have them in our area. I just wish they weren't so far away from me. Of course, it's more opportunity to drive my 124!
best regards
Pete

·
Vendor
715 Posts
Thank you Fnak and Pikeman for the positive feedback~! We always love visitors, come by soon and show us your 124s!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you Fnak and Pikeman for the positive feedback~! We always love visitors, come by soon and show us your 124s!
I'm banned from Austin by the wife. Something about every time we are down there the vehicle we are in for some reason drives to Bobalu on 6th and the door mysteriously opens and I get forced into the store and suddenly a few hundred worth of 'gars are in my grubby paws.
0:)

·
Vendor
715 Posts
I'm banned from Austin by the wife. Something about every time we are down there the vehicle we are in for some reason drives to Bobalu on 6th and the door mysteriously opens and I get forced into the store and suddenly a few hundred worth of 'gars are in my grubby paws.
0:)
haha! Sounds like a nice problem to have! We are technically in Spicewood if that helps your case!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Been there, done that. Had their team install a cat back exhaust and so far liking the sound. Tomorrow is lowering springs and possibly CAI ;) WOOP
And yes, as pikeman mentioned, good people, Boris and Rachel, Texas Ray, Bill and everyone else, very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Austin Cars and Coffee

I've missed all the previous dates, but think the July one looks good. I hope to see you folks there.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts