Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting an Abarth as a daily driver, but live in Seattle. Even with winter tires, any thoughts on how this car will do as a daily driver when we have 3-4 months of cold (in the 30's) wet weather? I would do a combination of city and highway driving as part of the commute.

I really like the car and enjoyed the test drive immensely, however the cold weather driving is the main consideration making me consider a 2018 Golf R, but would love to get some insights.

thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been almost-dailying my 124 between Seattle and North Bend since December (except for two weeks of deep snow where I couldn't get out of my driveway onto the main road). It's fantastic.

As far as rain goes - the 124 slices and dices very stably on wet roads (likely even more so with the Abarth's LSD). In the case of occasional potential hydroplaning in severely worn-in highway grooves (I-90 and I-5 are terrible with this), traction control is pretty transparent but does a great job keeping a bit of yaw from getting out of control at highway speeds (but switch it off on the backroads if you like wagging the tail out now and then).

Near perfect balance made for good control in the snow with traction control off (very easy to precisely oversteer as necessary)... my only gripe is the non-defeatable hill holder. It got in the way when slowly maneuvering on steep, snowy grades. The Abarth's LSD may negate some of this as well.

The heater is strong, and in top-down-windows-up mode the cabin is quiet and comfortable with minimal turbulence. I've been top-down commuting as cold as 18F and have been reasonably comfortable. If you're caught off-guard by weather, being able to quickly raise and lower the top one handed at highway speeds is also a huge perk compared to more complicated convertibles and cabrios.

Mixed mountain/city/high-speed-freeway is returning a steady ~29 actual mpg (30 indicated).

Obviously, the Golf R is a tremendous all-season machine with a lot of practicality to it, but the 124 is a lot more practical than you might think as a commuter, and the soft top pays huge dividends.

If you're shopping at Kirkland, Martin the sales manager is a great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Daily driven an Abarth since November.

Snow is no problem with Blizzaks on some cheap 16" rims. Very predictable.

Will absolutely second that you can put the top down at a lot lower temperatures than you may think with heated seats, a jacket, and beanie. You will get some looks though.

With winter tires, you're well ahead of the curve. Car has 160hp and comes with ESC, but I also preferred it off. LSD is good.

I'd wager your commute will be a lot more fun with the 124.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awesome - Really appreciate the first hand advice.

My main concern is handling on cold, wet roads and driving in cold rain (with winter tires). Especially on hwy (I90). Sounds like it's doable...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Here in Quebec, my friend had leased a MX5 and he drove it all year round, and we have harsh winter. No problem. If you buy it here, you drive it all seasons except winter. If you lease it well drive all year round with winter tires in winter.
So Seattle should be no problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts