Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking to swap Lusso/Classica Cluster with Abarth Instrument Cluster. Where is odometer mileage kept - instrument cluster or ECU? The 124 Spider has currently 3.5K miles, Abarth donor car had about 8K miles. I hope it is stored in the ECU, and it will NOT affect the odometer reading.

Attachments

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder if the lighting color can be changed to another color like red by painting LEDs? The always-on lighting means trying to change the color away from white might look strange.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wonder if the lighting color can be changed to another color like red by painting LEDs? The always-on lighting means trying to change the color away from white might look strange.

View attachment 80967

View attachment 80966
LEDs are 'tuned' to a particular color. Tinting them or using a colored film results in washed out colors and a much dimmer light output.
This is why you need to use yellow LEDs for turn signals and red LEDs for brakes rather than rely on the tinted lens to do the job.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Or you could simply substitute the overlay panel from the Abarth cluster. Not as easy as replacing the entire assembly though. Is it Canadian, or European?

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I am thinking to swap Lusso/Classica Cluster with Abarth Instrument Cluster. Where is odometer mileage kept - instrument cluster or ECU? The 124 Spider has currently 3.5K miles, Abarth donor car had about 8K miles. I hope it is stored in the ECU, and it will NOT affect the odometer reading.
In another thread I was enquiring about this and was informed the data is stored in the ECU, so swapping out a cluster or odometer unit does not impact the validity of the recorded mileage.

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think someone who has MX5 changed his instrument backlight to red color. I think he sandwiched thin film between black dials. Since mini LEDs which are providing white backlight to gauges are embedded on PCB panel it would be a big hassle to replace all of them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
if you can make a speedometer without all the damn little white lines I would probably buy one
I can never tell what speed I am unless i look at my cruise control or waze, lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or you could simply substitute the overlay panel from the Abarth cluster. Not as easy as replacing the entire assembly though. Is it Canadian, or European?
I have access to both instrument clusters; US and EU specs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rather than replace the entire cluster why not just get a custom gauge overlay from these guys? They make them for the Spider too since it shares the instrument cluster with the Miata.
REVLIMITER.NET
This guy at RevLimiter is the Michelangelo of gauges. I’m so naive...hate my current gauge cluster reveal and believed I was stuck with the OEM

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I think I will order a set of Gauge Faces from RevLimiter, to make life simpler.
I really look forward to seeing the new look once you have it installed. He has so many different options, the challenge is choosing which one! I do have to confess I did like the looks of the set called Warbirds (been a while since I was on the site, but I thnk that was the name of that specific set).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really look forward to seeing the new look once you have it installed. He has so many different options, the challenge is choosing which one! I do have to confess I did like the looks of the set called Warbirds (been a while since I was on the site, but I think that was the name of that specific set).

·
Registered
611 Posts
In another thread I was enquiring about this and was informed the data is stored in the ECU, so swapping out a cluster or odometer unit does not impact the validity of the recorded mileage.
I don't think it's in the same ECU unit for engine because when I swap back my ECU clone (EC P1) to the stock ECU for dealer service the mileage stay the same. Maybe it's stored in another Control Unit like the BCU.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
205 Posts
If you’re just after your red then you don’t need to swap the whole thing. Once you remove the gauge cluster you can pop off the front. At this point the red tach thing just comes off.

If you want the actual speedo lettering I’m sure you can pull the needles off and take the whole overlay. Just make sure they’re set to their base position when you remove the needles!

I swapped my Abarth top piece to a Miata one to get three silver rings vs the Abarth style (only silver tach). Was pretty simple.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys thanks for your feeback! I will buy Custom Gauge Faces from RevLimiter or use the whole overlay from the Abarth instrument cluster.

This is a cool from CravenSpeed called billet aluminum tachometer dial "Red Edition Billet Tachometer Dial for ND Miata". Close to $300 with shipping

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
15 Posts
LEDs are 'tuned' to a particular color. Tinting them or using a colored film results in washed out colors and a much dimmer light output.
This is why you need to use yellow LEDs for turn signals and red LEDs for brakes rather than rely on the tinted lens to do the job.
This is spot on. Some old motorbikes used the same bulb for the tail light and the numberplate light. Ie the red plastic light had a clear plastic window at the bottom. In changing to LED bulbs to reduce the load on their electrical system they had either a (too) weak tail light using a white LED bulb or or a red glow on their numberplate with a red LED bulb. There are now red bulbs with a few white leds at the bottom to solve this problem.

Anyhow, if the binnacle LEDs are surface mounted, what do you do when they fail?

·
Registered
983 Posts
if you can make a speedometer without all the damn little white lines I would probably buy one
I can never tell what speed I am unless i look at my cruise control or waze, lol
I know, huh. The legibility of the speedo on these cars is just terrible. Thank God they don't go very fast! LOL

·
Registered
983 Posts
OP: the odometer data should be kept in the center module, outside the instrument cluster. At least that is how it is with most modern vehicles. So when you replace the IP, your car's original odometer reading should remain.

Reactions: Scorpius
1 - 20 of 23 Posts