Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to get an Abarth automatic with Brembos, Recaros, heritage stripe vs a Lusso Automatic with LEDs, Bose sound system, heated mirrors and seats, parking sensors and blind spot. Abarth is ~$36K and Lusso with discounts is $24K. Brain says Lusso but I have always loved Abarth.

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
437 Posts
Any reason to get an Abarth automatic with Brembos, Recaros, heritage stripe vs a Lusso Automatic with LEDs, Bose sound system, heated mirrors and seats, parking sensors and blind spot. Abarth is ~$36K and Lusso with discounts is $24K. Brain says Lusso but I have always loved Abarth.
Write down the three most important things you want in your Spider. The Abarth has a few items that are go not show...LSD, sport mode, etc. The Abarth should have headed seats as the Lusso you mentioned does. Re the blind spot sensor, make sure you are okay with it...some people love them, some people really hate them (constant beeping or light flashing in your periphery). There's no right or wrong...just what you like best. Drive both if you can. Good luck...both are beautiful automobiles.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
What not live dangerously and buy a "124 Classica" ! You get cloth covered seats, a steering wheel and brakes (sort of, mine were rubbish) however......you get to play as the Spider is a blank canvas for you to study all the well informed information and excellent suggestions on 21st century 124 Spider website and here on 124 Spider.org to assist you modify and build the 124 Spider of your choice. Further......really push the boat out and go Manual Gearbox ! then you can listen to the revs to decide when to change, use the gearbox to brake downhill and generally involve yourself more, or....you could just keep the 124 Classica a basic Classic Sports car in true 1960's style.
Just sayin' 😁Cheers
ron

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
653 Posts
You state "I have always loved Abarth". Do you think in the future you'll be saying to yourself, "I wish it was an Abarth"? Only you can answer that question.
I spent the extra $$ for the Abarth and have absolutely no regrets.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Write down the three most important things you want in your Spider. The Abarth has a few items that are go not show...LSD, sport mode, etc. The Abarth should have headed seats as the Lusso you mentioned does. Re the blind spot sensor, make sure you are okay with it...some people love them, some people really hate them (constant beeping or light flashing in your periphery). There's no right or wrong...just what you like best. Drive both if you can. Good luck...both are beautiful automobiles.
The blind spot and rear warning sensors can be turned off with the dash button. The beeping sound volume is controllable via the settings panel in the CMU.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
Hi there

Maybe I can help here?

Just swapped ‘17 Fiat Lusso+ for ‘19 Abarth with full UK Spec i.e Brembos, Monza Record etc.

Loved both BUT having just returned from a trip to Scotland I can say that the Abarth is a very very different car!!!!!

Personally spend the money and just go for the Abarth rather than the Lusso.

Only one point - I preferred the non-heritage stripe in Portogallo 1974(Grey)

If I can help further drop me a reply.
Keith

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The only bits you can’t replace to make performance ‘Abarth like’ are the sport mode and LSD, but the latter can be upgraded. The heritage stripe can be vinyl if you want it (which, I would prefer over the painted). Standard brakes are fine. Oh, and the Abarth badge.

of course, there’s the convenience items: touch screen, LEDs, blind spot, etc. sounds like you have those on the lusso, so a non issue.

$12k buys you a lot of upgrades!

·
Registered
43 Posts
$12k buys you a lot of upgrades!
This! You could certainly fit most of the Abarth bits for that price difference and you'd have the option to pick and choose (I'd love an Abarth with the saddle interior for example). Of course, why not find a slightly used Abarth for less than the Lusso in question?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The only thing you are really missing in the Lusso that you can't mod/upgrade is Sport Mode, which improves transmission performance in the auto. I wish my auto Lusso had Sport Mode. EC said a while back in a Facebook post that TCM tuning was coming, but I haven't heard anything since. Maybe I need to check with Toby again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Folks need to read up on the sport mode as it's more that a tranny change to shifting. It changes the mapping of the engine for much better low end torque and throttle response, it's a different 'tune', and changes the steering response. All together the changes are very noticeable and quite significant.

Edit: sport mode also relaxes the dynamic stability control.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What not live dangerously and buy a "124 Classica" ! You get cloth covered seats, a steering wheel and brakes (sort of, mine were rubbish) however......you get to play as the Spider is a blank canvas for you to study all the well informed information and excellent suggestions on 21st century 124 Spider website and here on 124 Spider.org to assist you modify and build the 124 Spider of your choice. Further......really push the boat out and go Manual Gearbox ! then you can listen to the revs to decide when to change, use the gearbox to brake downhill and generally involve yourself more, or....you could just keep the 124 Classica a basic Classic Sports car in true 1960's style.
Just sayin' 😁Cheers
ron
I love my Classica, but yeah, the brakes are crap.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Folks need to read up on the sport mode as it's more that a tranny change to shifting. It changes the mapping of the engine for much better low end torque and throttle response, it's a different 'tune', and changes the steering response. All together the changes are very noticeable and quite significant.
Didn't say that it only modified transmission behavior.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As Sharkcohen pointed out, it's the only 'non upgradable' part for the transmission. The engine can be tuned, so eliminating the engine part, leaving the steering. It's very hard to notice any difference in the steering between sport and non-sport. I do not believe a typical driving enthusiast would notice it.

It also modifies the throttle response curve, from what I can tell. People love their throttle tune boxes, though, so further diminishing the sport/non-sport differences. Some of those are plug-and-play and can be removed quite readily.

12k would get you all these parts, new wheels, suspension (coils, sway bars, shocks), intake, shock tower brace front and rear, exhaust of your choice, go faster stripe, mud flaps and curb feelers. Leaving perhaps 5-6k left over - I didn't do the math. It would be 'better' than the stock Abarth.

Of course, out the door...12k in your pocket (sic) might be better...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Didn't say that it only modified transmission behavior.
Guess it was the way it was posted. It just shows sport mode and only a comment on improving the tranny:

"The only thing you are really missing in the Lusso that you can't mod/upgrade is Sport Mode, which improves transmission performance in the auto."

Anyway, it's been cleared up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I test drive both
I got the Lusso and at the time they where almost the same price
I did not get the Abarth because as a everyday driver the Lusso is a much nicer car
You get all most everything in the Abarth for performance
But at under half throttle it’s so smooth and comfortable
Creature comfort’s in the stereo is so much nicer
The headlights the way they rotate as you go around the corners tell me I was in a pills it’s really nice for going fast
Plus I think it looks more vintage than the other
But ultimately it’s your decision it’s your car

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Personally, I would get the Abarth, excluding (brembo, Recaro and strips) cause what you have on the Lusso you'll have on the Abarth(led lights, nav and better stock seats and ect) except Abarth has more hidden options. And price will be a couple K more not 12K.
Beside Recaro on the seats, the Abarth leather seats are very confortable, the eom break are very good, paint them red and make you and others you have Brembo. Wilwood brakes are a little better then stock but cheaper then Brembo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another contribution. I've owned both an Abarth (2020) and Lusso (2017), which is much better than a simple test drive of each, and there's no question which is the better car in every way: the Abarth. And my Lusso was slightly better equipped with the LED light package. But the Abarth, with Brembos and it's stock equip, is way sportier and what I had always wanted out of the Lusso.

Good luck with your decision. To me it's a no brainer as the dealership is also discounting the Abarth's which you didn't mention - or they should be as FCA has $4-6K off right now. The diff in price should only be ~$5K which is nothing for what you will get.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts