Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for lug nut colors to match the Abarth wheel color but have only found black or gray/silver: anyone found any that are closer, such as a dark gray? I have used these before and they work well and do not come off when driving but as I stated, they do not have them in dark gray:

https://www.colorlugs.com/

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
good idea! ....ooooooooooohhhhh they have red!!!!

Reactions: jpwfz6 and sdlynx

·
Registered
418 Posts
Forgot to ask: what size are the lug nuts, 19mm or 21mm?
I believe they're 21, although that's not really important, unless you have a jack and tool kit that uses the OE size. The studs are M12-1.5. That's a super common size, so you should be able to find what you want. Many 12mm stud cars use 19mm hex head bolts or nuts. 21 is overkill, and I wonder if they did that because of how SHORT they made the lug nut. Also, if you swap to aftermarket wheels, some of them might have smaller lug bolt holes that won't fit a hardened steel socket for bigger than 19mm.

Another thing to keep in mind is those "anodized" look lug nuts tend to look beat up after some on-off cycles. I used to run them on my '96 Neon, which was our regular autocross car. Since we were swapping wheels a couple weekends a month, I went through a set of those anodized-look lug nuts about every couple months. An alternative would be open-end lug nuts and decorative caps. A lot of cars that can use plain zinc lug bolts (Fiat 500, Dart, Renegade, etc.) use these caps that remove with a tweezer-like tool. So, if you remove the caps before taking a lug wrench to the lugs, they don't look beat to >:) quite so easily.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am talking about caps, which just press fit over the existing lug nuts. I had them on the Corvette I recently sold and it had Black wheels with Chrome lug nuts; they looked much better with Black caps. The Abarth wheels are not Black though so if I could find Gunmetal caps they would blend in more. But I will use Black if I cannot find Gunmetal since anything is better than Chrome.

·
Registered
676 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice but they are replacement lug nuts, not Gunmetal caps like I am looking for. Again, I am not a cheap-skate but I see no purpose in buying anything other than caps, especially when theft is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Could you buy some black ones and get some paint that matches (as close as you can) the gunmetal?

(Now I can't stop noticing the chrome lug nuts...I've been 'de-chroming' everything. The lug nuts and exhaust looks to be the only exposed chrome/bright colors, now).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you buy some black ones and get some paint that matches (as close as you can) the gunmetal?

(Now I can't stop noticing the chrome lug nuts...I've been 'de-chroming' everything. The lug nuts and exhaust looks to be the only exposed chrome/bright colors, now).
I don't want Chrome either. I guess you could paint caps but you would have to get hard plastic ones since the Color Lugs are flexible. Somewhat off topic but did you buy/paint a new "124 Spider" emblem for the rear?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't want Chrome either. I guess you could paint caps but you would have to get hard plastic ones since the Color Lugs are flexible. Somewhat off topic but did you buy/paint a new "124 Spider" emblem for the rear?
I didn't realize they were soft: I thought they were rigid and clipped on (looking at them, it's obvious, now).

I painted the rear 124 Spider logo: used the 'black chrome' rattle can (rustoleum, I think). Had to add some flat black paint with a fine paint brush in some areas. I used heavy coats, so you can only see some minor highlights of chrome. I think I'd go full satin/flat black, next time. Blends OK with the matte wrap.

·
Registered
676 Posts

Yeah the chrome lugs really bugged me as well. Also paint my 124 logo high gloss black and moved it next to the rear plate

Bob, you need a plan B. That is what I tried to offer. Painting those flexible plastic covers will not work, and likely will not be cheap since you will have to have it done to match. Maybe just go black, would still look better. Or buy some regular black lug nuts. I was just surprised by the elusion of mine looking like they match. Buying black 6UL wheels anyway so it reall doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Aloha. Bought the COLORLUGS. RED and BLACK. I went with the reds. Black for reference. I can get a clearer picture if you want. Car is dirty...just got home from work.

Attachments

Reactions: Sand4u

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Aloha. Bought the COLORLUGS. RED and BLACK. I went with the reds. Black for reference. I can get a clearer picture if you want. Car is dirty...just got home from work.
Both black and red look good!

(but, jeez, look at all those wheel weights! I thought mine were bad!)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah..quite a few weights...I blame the TPMS. Notice how the weights are directly opposite the valve stem...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an extra set of Black caps, 1" that I trimmed to fit (required), which I will sell to the first person that replies for $15 shipped in the US.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem-o...I personally like the round look and still have the set for $15 shipped in the US if someone wants them.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
No problem-o...I personally like the round look and still have the set for $15 shipped in the US if someone wants them.
Cool. I've got the red round ones on Wendi too. Just figured I'd try them out and give a report on them.

Btw @Bob Z how did you fair from the storm? Stay safe man!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the Spider (and bikes and wife's SUV) are parked outside on the upper parking deck since we had 1 1/2' of water from Hurricane Irma in our parking garage this year (4 1/2" last year from Hurricane Matthew) so they have to pressure wash the garage before I can get them all back in. 10"+ of rain and a LOT of wind (more than last year) so lots of damage but we were fine albeit the beach took a hit but it will come back over time. And power was only out for 1 1/2 days, which is a blessing since many in our area still don't have it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts