Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wondering why the Abarth that I did test drive, had no metal plate on the glove box compartment area (that small plate with the Italian flag and info about the car, between the 2 seats), and also did not have the center console door, with the Abarth logo (it was just plain).

Is this normal, and you get it only for certain models? From my understanding, there is only one Abarth model, so shouldn't each Abarth have both the logo on the armrest door and the metal plate?

http://autoguide.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/2017-fiat-124-spider-abarth/2017-Fiat-124-Spider-Abarth-5.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
That looks like an Australian Abarth. I think they only get the Abarth model there. The number plate was on their version of the Prima. Only the Prima models in each country got the number plate. Here in the US the Prima's were blue and numbered 1-124. I think all of the Aus models got a 1 of 100 plate. There are a number of differences between the USA cars and the rest of the world. It seems like in the rest of the world Abarth is a separate brand while here in the USA it's a trim level on the 124 spider. There are a number of threads from USA owners trying to match the international look.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, so that was one shot limited edition thing then.
In that case it is OK if that car does not have it; make sense, to not have it on non-limited number cars; although I really like the idea of a metal plaque on that area, with that look :)

What about the scorpio logo on the armrest? I didn't see that either on the car, is that also something related to the limited edition models?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That looks like an Australian Abarth. I think they only get the Abarth model there. The number plate was on their version of the Prima. Only the Prima models in each country got the number plate. Here in the US the Prima's were blue and numbered 1-124. I think all of the Aus models got a 1 of 100 plate. There are a number of differences between the USA cars and the rest of the world. It seems like in the rest of the world Abarth is a separate brand while here in the USA it's a trim level on the 124 spider. There are a number of threads from USA owners trying to match the international look.
Correct - that's just the "launch edition". These cars came with the red bits and a plate that says 1 of 100, which caused a lot of grief and confusion as people thought that their cars were the first launch edition in the country. I've heard rumours that FCA were looking into issuing replacement plates that had the correct build number / edition, but it's just a rumour at best.

I didn't know that some of the alcantara trims had a spider on the armrest - that would have been awesome! AFAIK, the alcantara trim is not necessarily a factory option in Australia, but there has been a few delivered by a Sydney based dealer that's provided modifications including alcantara trim as a dealer delivered option. Looks pretty sexy!

·
Registered
958 Posts
The Aussie and European model Abarths have a bunch of cosmetic doodads and a steeper price, while the U.S. Abarths have a day of Bondurant school and a lower price. Fair trade off, if you ask me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
rocklogic said:
I've heard rumours that FCA were looking into issuing replacement plates that had the correct build number / edition, but it's just a rumour at best!
Was there any truth to that? Or a known way to tell which # was for each launch edition?

·
Registered
529 Posts
The thing you need to be aware with the Australian Abarths is that they are sourced directly from japan, rather than Japan via Europe (understand that the US cars are much the same). So a Launch Edition here is simply a dealer fit option – though they will not tell this to you (a dealer let it slip when I took one for a test drive). They are simply a standard car fitted with the red highlights, the Launch Edition badge, visibility pack and place vinyl “heritage stripes” as required. Ironically it is normally cheaper to buy a standard car fitted with the same options (minus the badge).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Correct - that's just the "launch edition". These cars came with the red bits and a plate that says 1 of 100, which caused a lot of grief and confusion as people thought that their cars were the first launch edition in the country. I've heard rumours that FCA were looking into issuing replacement plates that had the correct build number / edition, but it's just a rumour at best.

I didn't know that some of the alcantara trims had a spider on the armrest - that would have been awesome! AFAIK, the alcantara trim is not necessarily a factory option in Australia, but there has been a few delivered by a Sydney based dealer that's provided modifications including alcantara trim as a dealer delivered option. Looks pretty sexy!
Yes I have the Alcantara trim and its a great option the steering wheel feels better to drive with as well. My porsche came with a Alcantara trim and wheel and after driving with it you wouldn't go back to a leather wheel again. When the dealer offered the option it was a no brainer to get it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts