Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am from Malta and I am a proud owner of an Abarth 124 spider :)

I think that it is the only one on the island (for the time being).

Unfortunately, mine, like many other Abarth 124 spiders, does not have a Abarth Officine plaque.

I did a lot of research, but it seems an impossible task to acquire an original one.

The original plaque was created by moulding, etching and laser printing. In a few words, it is a small work of art.

The closest that I have come is creating one by UV printing.

A friend of mine in Malta, who is in business of printing everything on anything, is requesting me to provide him with a high resolution image of the plaque in order to UV print it on metal.

If there is an owner of an Abarth 124 with an Abarth plaque who would like to help us, kindly contact me.

My intention is to change the lower section where there is printed the vehicle production number with the words "Abarth 124 Spider".

Should there be other owners interested to acquire one, after we have done the first sample, please let me know. It would be more economical to print since the set-up costs will be cheaper.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am from Malta and I am a proud owner of an Abarth 124 spider :)

I think that it is the only one on the island (for the time being).

Unfortunately, mine, like many other Abarth 124 spiders, does not have a Abarth Officine plaque.

I did a lot of research, but it seems an impossible task to acquire an original one.

The original plaque was created by moulding, etching and laser printing. In a few words, it is a small work of art.

The closest that I have come is creating one by UV printing.

A friend of mine in Malta, who is in business of printing everything on anything, is requesting me to provide him with a high resolution image of the plaque in order to UV print it on metal.

If there is an owner of an Abarth 124 with an Abarth plaque who would like to help us, kindly contact me.

My intention is to change the lower section where there is printed the vehicle production number with the words "Abarth 124 Spider".

Should there be other owners interested to acquire one, after we have done the first sample, please let me know. It would be more economical to print since the set-up costs will be cheaper.

Thanks in advance
What will it look like. Send pictures maybe intrested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Ronn,

It will look exactly the same with the following exceptions:

1. There will be no engraving or embossment
2. The thickness of the plate will less thick. From the photos that I have seen, the plate used is from 2.5mm to 3mm. The plate will be thinner. I can give you the thickness later on.

My friend assure me that it will look exactly the same. He can create the 3D effects using the UV printing instead of the engraving and embossment. However, it will not look completely flat as he can create some effects which will replace the engraving/ embossment.

The issue is that he is very busy. So we will need someone who can recreate the artwork from scratch using photoshop or else a gentle member of the forum could send us a high resolution image of the plaque in order to minimise the costs

Using the image below, instead of the wording "Carlo Abarth", there will be "Abarth 124 Spider".

It will be the closest that we can get to the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is a sample of his works which he did for the local Old Motors Club. I have one on my Morris Minor Traveller
Hi from Scotland. Missing my summer holiday in Malta this year. We usually have a week in Qawra and a week in Attard at the Corinthia Palace. I met a chap who has a lovely classic 124 Spider in gold I think it was. We met him at the Cafe on the corner near the National Aquarium between Qawra and Bugibba. I have a 2016 UK A124. It has the Officine detail, a UK Flag, and my car number in the bottom section. Your picture of the plaque on your other post... Can that be used. Happy to help if I can, and missing the view from the Dingli Cliffs already!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi SpagWagonsScot,

Many thanks for your reply.

I hope that you have enjoyed every visit on the island.

I am posting a nice view for you taken from l-Ahrax, in Mellieha.

Should you come to Malta, after this covid-19 issue is over, I will be more than happy to take you are a ride.

The picture attached above, was taken from the internet.

If you can send me a high resolution image of your plaque, it will be greatly appreciated. As already stated above, your vehicle number will be replaced.

I can give you my email or else private message me.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Dear Ronn,

It will look exactly the same with the following exceptions:

1. There will be no engraving or embossment
2. The thickness of the plate will less thick. From the photos that I have seen, the plate used is from 2.5mm to 3mm. The plate will be thinner. I can give you the thickness later on.

My friend assure me that it will look exactly the same. He can create the 3D effects using the UV printing instead of the engraving and embossment. However, it will not look completely flat as he can create some effects which will replace the engraving/ embossment.

The issue is that he is very busy. So we will need someone who can recreate the artwork from scratch using photoshop or else a gentle member of the forum could send us a high resolution image of the plaque in order to minimise the costs

Using the image below, instead of the wording "Carlo Abarth", there will be "Abarth 124 Spider".

It will be the closest that we can get to the original.
I would enjoy something like that in my car.

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
353 Posts
There's also a guy in Italy who makes custom identity plaques, door sills, dead foot pedal covers, etc. He's on Facebook and a number of people here have done business with him. You can customize your items, which is very cool. I'm currently awaiting door sills and an ID plaque.

Your car looks gorgeous! One of my best friends is Maltese descent...small world as always.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Chipshot, I will keep you posted :).

I desperately need a high quality photo of the plaque. Most probably, I will using only the central part of it, that is the car. The others can be easily created.

The image attached is what I have managed to create so far. It is very time consuming and there is no guarantee that it will be good for UV printing

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi SpagWagonsScot,

Should you come to Malta, after this covid-19 issue is over, I will be more than happy to take you are a ride.

If you can send me a high resolution image of your plaque, it will be greatly appreciated. As already stated above, your vehicle number will be replaced.

Thanks in advance
And now I know Malta is right hand drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Prosecco, I have seen the plaques of Poggiapiedi on the internet. They are of high quality but I need it to be as close to the original one as possible.

The ones that I have seen that he does, don't have the car on them.

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
353 Posts
@ Prosecco, I have seen the plaques of Poggiapiedi on the internet. They are of high quality but I need it to be as close to the original one as possible.

The ones that I have seen that he does, don't have the car on them.
You are correct. It's the best I've seen available so far, but obviously, if your friend can pull this off, that would be amazing. My guess is more than a few people from this forum would buy one from him, which may make it even more worth his while.

With that said, I've never seen the original plaque in real life. I'm lucky if I even see another Spider in the wild every once in a while...and that's in California where we have a lot of convertibles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a head turner. For the UK market, with right hand side, Abarth has stopped the production. So it is already something unique.

I have imported mine from the UK as second hand but it is in an excellent condition. New Abarth cars are not sold in Malta since the market is too small.

In Malta, there are also a lot of convertibles since 75% of the year is always sunny :)

Therefore, top is always down whilst driving ;)

I have only seen two other Fiat 124 Spiders (modern ones) in Malta. One is red and another is white but no Abarth ones.

There are also about 3 vintage Fiat 124 Spiders on the island.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
For clarification, the products Poggiapiedi makes (and they are excellent, quality products... of which I have purchased several) are all based on CNC milling of aluminum plate stock, and then coloured enamel being applied to the areas that have been routered out of the plate.

I remember seeing an Officine plaque on a car in the dealership where I purchased my A124 back in 2017, but have not seen one since. I think the top text and bar style Italian flag below it is CNC routered out of the plate stock, the flag is then enameled; and then everything else is enameled silk screen type printing on the surface of the aluminum plate. At least that's the way it looked to my eyes at the time. And I remember the lower part of the plaque showing the limited release serial number, not Carlo Abarth text. That's something to consider... coming up with a unique number for them. Those of us with the Poggiapiedi plates went with the last digits of our VIN. But that also means that the plates would be one-off creations and would then cost more to produce than ones with a generic text line.

I found a French website that did a review of the Abarth 124 Spider, and this is the plaque they showed as installed on the vehicle. The Carlo Abarth variant may well be either a second generation OEM plaque after the first limited edition copies, or maybe a 3rd party reproduction. I honestly don't know. Here's the link to the review: Essai Abarth 124 Spider: avantage Italie – Asphalte.ch

For what it's worth, this is what that plaque looks like:

I hope someone comes forward with a really good image for your friend to use as an artwork base for plaques. For sure you'll find a lot of appeal for them, especially if you can get the price point down. Not everyone is willing to drop $300 for a plaque. I'm following this thread to see how the project progresses and wish you the very best of success in your endeavour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ Cdpond. That is exactly what I am looking for but in high resolution.

Many thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi SpagWagonsScot,

Thanks in advance
Hi SpagWagonsScot,

Thanks in advance
Here's what mine looks like. Just a picture taken from my phone so don't think it will be quality you require? Great offer, I'll have a blast to Marsaslokk in your Abarth. I've seen 3 classic 124s on the Island. Gold in Qawra, Red in car museum Bugibba, and a black one in Mdina. Looking forward to having Pastries and Coffee in the Santa Lucia Cafe in Rabat! Hope this picture might help. Gordon
IMG_20201018_132418.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dear Gordon,

You are the man.

Could you kindly, at your own leisure, take another picture exactly like the one that Cdpond posted and send it to me via email?

My email address is [email protected]

It would be really helpful.

I have something special for you

1 - 20 of 41 Posts