Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha All.

FYI this Upgrade/Modification applies ONLY to Abarth model 124 Spiders as the Lusso and Classica have different Rear Side Markers.

The RED rear side marker has always bothered me and I was hoping to eventually do something about it. "I know, I know... BUT @Mike34 YOU LOVE RED! " Well this one time I don't, at least in the sense of visual lines.

So what the heck am I ranting about?

These! Aliexpress LED Rear Side Marker Light Lamp. They also have them in CLEAR lens/Red LED

They were originally listed for Mazda only...but after confirming the size and shape with the seller (great communication btw through the Aliexpress app) I can confirm they fit the Abarth. I'm sure if you looked you could get them for cheaper and or faster delivery (About $48 and took a month to get to Hawaii) Remember we have the Jones Act working against us...so the TRIP is longer to Hawaii. YMMV

Items come with the mounting screw (one phillips head per side), You MUST unscrew this phillips head then press the top snap fit and the lamp pops right out. Twist the lamp connector and remove the light bulb. Slip in the harness/ pigtail into the factory plug harness (NICE SNUG FIT) and Twist it back in. Snap in place and install phillips head. Easy 5 minute install. NO CELLS, no Warnings on the dash. All good!

May look like its not flush, but it is. Just the angle of the picture.

Screw driver and flashlight is all you need.

Now you all know how dirty these lights can get. YUCKY!

I know this is nothing like the serious work @Calehedron ( and others ) are doing. But I hope to contribute in some small way on the forum.

Anyone can do it. You can reach up and under the car without the need to jack it up. I think the only possible hiccup would be if you dropped the phillips head screw. But the underside would catch it and you could reach it with your hand and feel for it.

aloha mike

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Aloha All.

FYI this Upgrade/Modification applies ONLY to Abarth model 124 Spiders as the Lusso and Classica have different Rear Side Markers.

The RED rear side marker has always bothered me and I was hoping to eventually do something about it. "I know, I know... BUT @Mike34 YOU LOVE RED! " Well this one time I don't, at least in the sense of visual lines.

So what the heck am I ranting about?

These! Aliexpress LED Rear Side Marker Light Lamp. They also have them in CLEAR lens/Red LED

View attachment 77689

They were originally listed for Mazda only...but after confirming the size and shape with the seller (great communication btw through the Aliexpress app) I can confirm they fit the Abarth. I'm sure if you looked you could get them for cheaper and or faster delivery (About $48 and took a month to get to Hawaii) Remember we have the Jones Act working against us...so the TRIP is longer to Hawaii. YMMV

Items come with the mounting screw (one phillips head per side), You MUST unscrew this phillips head then press the top snap fit and the lamp pops right out. Twist the lamp connector and remove the light bulb. Slip in the harness/ pigtail into the factory plug harness (NICE SNUG FIT) and Twist it back in. Snap in place and install phillips head. Easy 5 minute install. NO CELLS, no Warnings on the dash. All good!

View attachment 77690

View attachment 77691
May look like its not flush, but it is. Just the angle of the picture.

View attachment 77692
Screw driver and flashlight is all you need.

View attachment 77693

Now you all know how dirty these lights can get. YUCKY!

View attachment 77694

View attachment 77695

I know this is nothing like the serious work @Calehedron ( and others ) are doing. But I hope to contribute in some small way on the forum.

Anyone can do it. You can reach up and under the car without the need to jack it up. I think the only possible hiccup would be if you dropped the phillips head screw. But the underside would catch it and you could reach it with your hand and feel for it.

aloha mike
Nice work. It definitely gives the car a different look.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
What's this changing a dollar for 4 quarters, the Abarth had RED/Rouge lens, I ordered the red LED bulbs for it. I had not time to replace them. NO TIME> LOL

Reactions: Mike34

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Looks fantastic! I think that would go nicely with the smoked sequential markers I put on the front fenders. Mike34, can you talk a bit more about how you accessed the screw from the back? Were you coming in from under the body, or from the side behind the tire? I also see you were using a pretty conventional sized screwdriver. How much room in there to fiddle around with the screwdriver to get the screws in and out? It's all by feel right? No ability to actually see what you're doing on the back side?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks fantastic! I think that would go nicely with the smoked sequential markers I put on the front fenders.

I bought those too. But the white/clear sequential I have installed currently.

Mike34, can you talk a bit more about how you accessed the screw from the back? Were you coming in from under the body, or from the side behind the tire?

You can reach up and right next to the exhaust tube. There is room to maneuver your hand and you CAN see everything you are doing from a few angles. NO Access from the tire side.

I also see you were using a pretty conventional sized screwdriver. How much room in there to fiddle around with the screwdriver to get the screws in and out?

Great question and I meant to mention it in the original post. If you have a longer screwdriver at least 2-3 inches it would be easier. As you rotate you hand, it will hit the undercarriage plastic skirt nearest the tire...and makes it a little harder. Or you could go the stubby screwdriver and be ok too. I was able to see the hole, to place the screw into. I would say its about 50/50 on feel and sight. The angle is a little difficult to see the hole clearly. But you can see it.

It's all by feel right? No ability to actually see what you're doing on the back side?

50/50....flashlight helps a lot. I could see well enough to do the other side in less than 2 minutes. Of course no accounting for my time to clean etc.
answers in quote....

I was worried about polarity... and honestly I don't know if I got lucky when I did the drivers side as I got it to light up first crack. The passenger side I lined up the pink ( factory harness ) with the red of the pigtail. She worked.

aloha mike

Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
111 Posts
Mike, Thank you for posting this. I have the smoked side marker lights on my Abarth. Thought replacing the rear marker lights with smoked would be nice, but could find only the 4-light set for Miatas. Have put these on my Ali-express wish list.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mike, Thank you for posting this. I have the smoked side marker lights on my Abarth. Thought replacing the rear marker lights with smoked would be nice, but could find only the 4-light set for Miatas. Have put these on my Ali-express wish list.
Mike put the link for the rear marker lights in the original post. Click here. I just ordered a set with the side markers. 😎

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
111 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Julia DeGrace awesome!

I figured once members saw this they could hunt down another source and find a cheaper price.

I was happy with the original seller, especially when he contacted me to make sure the item I was ordering was for a Mazda Miata. Once I explained to him my idea, he requested several pictures and was very appreciative of the help and clarification.

Of course he was also wanting to sell other items, but that’s his livelyhood.

glad others have found this helpful.

aloha mike

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
@Julia DeGrace awesome!

I figured once members saw this they could hunt down another source and find a cheaper price.

I was happy with the original seller, especially when he contacted me to make sure the item I was ordering was for a Mazda Miata. Once I explained to him my idea, he requested several pictures and was very appreciative of the help and clarification.

Of course he was also wanting to sell other items, but that’s his livelyhood.

glad others have found this helpful.

aloha mike
Well, he got at least one additional sale (from me). Funny thing was that I got a text message from him asking me to confirm what my vehicle was. I guess he's pretty worried about selling to them to folks that don't have the Abarth versions of the car. lol As soon as I told him that my car was the same "as the guy from Hawaii who posted the great review on your site", he immeidately replied and confirmed he was shipping my order. :)

Thanks for posting this.... but if the install draws blood, I'm billing you for bandages. lol

Joking aside, it can't be worse than what I did to myself when I installed my turbo blanket. I really managed to slash my hand doing that, but stupidity on my part for not wearing mechanic's gloves when I was doing the work. Now to see if I can fit my fat head under the rear of the car to see where that screw is.... :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ordered from Amazon, along with the smoked, sequential front side markers.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome Gents! Looking good everyone.

@CDPond wear gloves! There are sharp edges on the plastic under carriage.

no cuts for me... but a couple of skin abrasions. (No blood)

really is easy... but if you don’t remove that screw first...YOU WILL BE SCREWED!

Aloha Mike

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
653 Posts
I really like the look but since part of the purpose of these markers is passive reflectivity when the vehicle lights are off (i.e. while parked in low light or the dark) I wonder how reflective these replacements are in the same circumstance. Anyone care to shine a light at yours and share it? TIA.

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I really like the look but since part of the purpose of these markers is passive reflectivity when the vehicle lights are off (i.e. while parked in low light or the dark) I wonder how reflective these replacements are in the same circumstance. Anyone care to shine a light at yours and share it? TIA.
That was my thought - not that I'm too bothered about it (barring local/state laws to the contrary).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts