Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else seeing this first hand?

In Australia, we're down to 5 for sale second hand, all the new stock gone and with production finished, I'm seeing the asking prices rise and stock disappear from around 10 last week. We're in Spring now and heading into Summer so demand might pick up again.

Wonder if the Abarth 124 will end up being a collector's car and rise in value. I've been looking at the skyline r34 and r32's which are fetching 6 figures (USD!).

Never expected the car to be an investment but I can see why with no one wanting to sell this classic

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Hi, Couple of problems with the above "I think"...Those of us who have a 124 Spider of any variety know that they are good, reliable Sports cars, sadly..we are they only ones, the general public have no idea what a 124 Spider is. Winter approaching quickly in UK so almost any Sports car price will drop, whereas the 4 x 4 market takes off. Looking at Fiat UK and ebay ect prices remain steady,on a slight downward incline for those Spiders at 3 years of age, 2019 ones (last UK production/sales) figures show the biggest drop, 124 Abarth as it was overpriced to start with at £32-36000 now £16-20000 , 124 Lusso £14-16000 and the 124 Classica £12-14000 average approx.
Many of The Folk who lurk, commit, then join here were initially looking at the Mazda MX5 ND as their next purchase, spied a Spider and "Correctly" chose that...if the next generation MX5 looks remotely like a 124 Spider then "I reckon" our cars "may" just be forgotten and become ebay classic cars over time,as folk like us rush out to buy the new MX5, otherwise, "I think" folk will eventually catch on and our Spiders, "all varieties" will become much more sought after. The Best Advice I keep reading here is. "Just drive, care for and enjoy, whatever will be, will be"........Proud owner of a beautiful Red 124 Classica, Cheers
ron
For UK Lurkers reading this...there are some cracking low mileage 124 Spiders on ebay at the prices mentioned above and NOW (winter) is the Best time to get the best deal.

Reactions: JATH

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
It's spring to summer season in Australia, convertibles tend to get a price increase during that season. That's why I bought mine in January in the US.
Yep.March for me......ebay / fiat Uk price for 124 Classica (what few there were) was £15400 average at the time, mine was up for £14900 (ex demo 1500 miles on the clock) I tried it on with an offer, they would not deal but I did squeeze a full tank of Premium fuel and a year road tax into the deal. As you say..if I had of gone back May onwards the price would have gone up, no deals available so next 5-6 months for many countries just entering the winter months is bargain "Sports Car" buying time, get yours folks "before" the best of them of snatched up........Cheers

Reactions: SpagWagonsScot

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yep.March for me......ebay / fiat Uk price for 124 Classica (what few there were) was £15400 average at the time, mine was up for £14900 (ex demo 1500 miles on the clock) I tried it on with an offer, they would not deal but I did squeeze a full tank of Premium fuel and a year road tax into the deal. As you say..if I had of gone back May onwards the price would have gone up, no deals available so next 5-6 months for many countries just entering the winter months is bargain "Sports Car" buying time, get yours folks "before" the best of them of snatched up........Cheers
Hi Ron... I bought mine new in September 2016, delivered in November 2016 after the dealer pinched mine off another dealer's stock while it was still on the boat to Torino for its visit to the Officine Abarth. My tack when buying a car is to give Dealer three goes at getting to the price I'll bite on. In this case I ended up nearly £3k off list due to no Trade In, own finance, and the salesman wanted to make his First Abarth 124 sale. If they hadn't got "down" to my Price #3 I could walk away and given I was travelling the whole of the UK, other Abarth Dealers would be paid a visit. Anyone can try this technique... Know your price you're happy at and hold your nerve until that 3rd deal price is established..... Great fun too when they ask what you mean by 3 Attempts!

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Hi Ron... I bought mine new in September 2016, delivered in November 2016 after the dealer pinched mine off another dealer's stock while it was still on the boat to Torino for its visit to the Officine Abarth. My tack when buying a car is to give Dealer three goes at getting to the price I'll bite on. In this case I ended up nearly £3k off list due to no Trade In, own finance, and the salesman wanted to make his First Abarth 124 sale. If they hadn't got "down" to my Price #3 I could walk away and given I was travelling the whole of the UK, other Abarth Dealers would be paid a visit. Anyone can try this technique... Know your price you're happy at and hold your nerve until that 3rd deal price is established..... Great fun too when they ask what you mean by 3 Attempts!
The "3 strikes and you're out" rule. Well played.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bought mine in November, as the Texas winter rainy season was starting, and got an extra 3 grand off the asking price from the dealer. Hope to keep mine as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
2020 marks the final year for the 124 Spider lineup. What separates a car from the crowd is when it transitions from being a mode of transportation to a work of art, something you would be proud to display in your living room. This car is wonderful, but it is a unicorn that might be a problem in the future for those who will find it a struggle to find parts or find them expensive because Fiat will not support this car.

I heard that ND MX5 might be the last model offered, sales are also plummeting for Miata.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think the production numbers of the 124 is within the range of what it is for some classics like MK4 Supra and FD RX-7, around 10,000-ish, so there’s potential for it to become one too. The 3000GT/GTO/Stealth is contemporary with Supra, RX-7, R33 GTR etc and every bit as nice but its relatively high production volume prevented it from becoming a classic. The poor marketing of the 124 might even help because over time more people will learn about it, desire it, only to realize there’s only a handful available.

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
420 Posts
I bought mine at the end of winter 2017. Our SF area dealers had a decent amount of them, but you still had to hunt and peck around on the internet to find the right trim level, etc. As has been the case for our family the last couple of times we've purchased cars, we got a much better deal in SoCal, so one cheap plane flight and a dinner with friends later, the car was on its way here. That particular SoCal dealer no longer sells Fiats at all, which is rather telling.

While it's not perpetual summer here...well, ok, I am still dressed like it's summer this morning...convertibles are very popular, but I see many more MX5s than Spiders. Within a quarter mile there are four MX5s, but only one other Spider in the city that I live in...and I haven't seen the Spider in their driveway recently.

It would be great if the car would do a decent job of retaining its value. Regardless, I'm just having a ridiculously fun time driving it still, and it's been over three years that we've had it. I can't say that about any other car I've owned. We've had cars for a long time and still really liked them, but loved them? Not like this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
PROSECCO: "I'm just having a ridiculously fun time driving it still, and it's been over three years that we've had it. I can't say that about any other car I've owned. We've had cars for a long time and still really liked them, but loved them? Not like this."

This is what owning this car is all about. You can't help but smile when you drive it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My previous car was family purchase in 2005 for $30K+ but in 2017 I sold it for $2500. Why?? It was a V6 Camry, ultra reliable but nondescript, staid and numerous as bunnies in a paddock.

I'm guessing (hoping) the 124 will do better than that.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I've thought about selling, but I honestly don't know what I'd buy that would actually be more fun. Could do with a third car suitable for winder ski or summer camping trips so Mrs W isn't left with the Spider (she's succumbed to low-car fear after years of driving SUVs), but I'll probably just buy a beater Subaru for those, or even just Turo something the occasional time I actually need it.

Reactions: georgia4

·
Registered
49 Posts
You all should throw your car in Carvana and check out the offer you receive. I was pleasantly surprised.
I sold my 2019 Classica to Carvana recently and got more for it than I originally paid for it new.

Reactions: FLAbarth and JATH

·
Registered
141 Posts
2020 marks the final year for the 124 Spider lineup. What separates a car from the crowd is when it transitions from being a mode of transportation to a work of art, something you would be proud to display in your living room. This car is wonderful, but it is a unicorn that might be a problem in the future for those who will find it a struggle to find parts or find them expensive because Fiat will not support this car.

I heard that ND MX5 might be the last model offered, sales are also plummeting for Miata.
Where did you hear the ND might be the last model offered?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a Ferrari Replica imposter work of art😃😃♥💋👍People with Lamborghinis old and young look at this car and turn heads .
Screenshot_20201028-195028.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where did you hear the ND might be the last model offered?
Sales of convertibles have seen a steep decline, falling by more than 65 percent in the past decade alone. And with new, tougher fuel economy standards, the days of riding with the top down could be numbered. Convertibles are typically the second or third car because while fun, they lack practicality. Last year, Mazda sold about 7,000 Miatas.

"Look at why SUVs are so popular: the higher ride height, the safety, the utility. Convertibles are the exact opposite of all that"

From 2011 to 2015, annual sales of convertibles in the U.S. dropped by 7 percent, according to data from Edmunds.com. In the same period, the U.S. auto industry at-large swelled by 37 percent. Fewer than one in 100 vehicles sold in the U.S, now comes with a foldable top. The next MX5 might be electric.

At this point, I have to admit that I’m not surprised to see Mazda considering hybridization for the next-gen MX-5. It’s basically a necessity with emissions regulations and electrification, even in the sports car market, is becoming more and more common.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Whilst I like your "124 Spider Abarth" ...here's a thought for you...I recently wrote that I see Ferrari's,Porsche's, Bentley's and McLarens regularly pass my village as we have a Classic and Sportscar dealer locally but I have NEVER seen a 124 Spider Abarth in the flesh. Members regularly report how they get stopped and questioned / the Spider Admired as most folk have no idea what this "Exotic" looking Sports car is.....and you put Ferrari badges all over it ? I reckon that if you just let the "Scorpion" loose you would get AT LEAST as much attention as the "Abarth" story, once told is a truly proud one, every bit as good as "Enzo's", just not as common.......Cheers
ron

Reactions: mtnghost
1 - 20 of 36 Posts