Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Whilst I like your "124 Spider Abarth" ...here's a thought for you...I recently wrote that I see Ferrari's,Porsche's, Bentley's and McLarens regularly pass my village as we have a Classic and Sportscar dealer locally but I have NEVER seen a 124 Spider Abarth in the flesh. Members regularly report how they get stopped and questioned / the Spider Admired as most folk have no idea what this "Exotic" looking Sports car is.....and you put Ferrari badges all over it ? I reckon that if you just let the "Scorpion" loose you would get AT LEAST as much attention as the "Abarth" story, once told is a truly proud one, every bit as good as "Enzo's", just not as common.......Cheers
ron
Once Covid is over I'll bring my Red A124 to you Ron.... They really do exist! Gordon

·
Registered
164 Posts
.... The poor marketing of the 124 might even help because over time more people will learn about it, desire it, only to realize there’s only a handful available.
I think this is definitely starting. There are so many more videos on youtube now for example, than there were when I was looking to buy.

I feel like there is a slow swell of awareness of the car happening. Will it be enough to cause demand to exceed supply? With enough owners keeping hold of them long term, it may yet start to appreciate.

Only a spectator on the market though, not a speculator - mine's not for sale

Reactions: JATH and Brexit !

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Fiat Australia website no longer lists the Abarth 124 Spider. We only got the Abarth but in two trims; "basic" and Monza edition which had the visibility pack, RM, red coloured bits.

Checked Carsales.com.au, which lists Australia wide, shows only six available, 5x auto and 1x manual. There may be more but if you don't list it on this website it'll be hard to find a buyer.

The manual doesn't have the headlight washers so it's a "basic" model. It's priced at at $3250 above what was the list price when sold new.

Reactions: JATH

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Fiat Australia website no longer lists the Abarth 124 Spider. We only got the Abarth but in two trims; "basic" and Monza edition which had the visibility pack, RM, red coloured bits.

Checked Carsales.com.au, which lists Australia wide, shows only six available, 5x auto and 1x manual. There may be more but if you don't list it on this website it'll be hard to find a buyer.

The manual doesn't have the headlight washers so it's a "basic" model. It's priced at at $3250 above what was the list price when sold new.
You are right! All used and all above initial cost 12 months earlier.

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Abarth
35 Posts
Anyone else seeing this first hand?

In Australia, we're down to 5 for sale second hand, all the new stock gone and with production finished, I'm seeing the asking prices rise and stock disappear from around 10 last week. We're in Spring now and heading into Summer so demand might pick up again.

Wonder if the Abarth 124 will end up being a collector's car and rise in value. I've been looking at the skyline r34 and r32's which are fetching 6 figures (USD!).

Never expected the car to be an investment but I can see why with no one wanting to sell this classic
Yes, I'm noticing the same trend. I daily mine, and added mods. But not a bad idea to purchase a new one with all the goodies here in the state and put it away.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Like many things, when folks are on the fence and discover that the item is no longer being manufactured, that's often a trigger on a purchase. And because they're afraid of completely losing out, they'll often pay a premium to obtain it while they can. Longer term? Who knows. I hope it becomes another classic, but my reality is that since I have zero intention of selling it, it's just entertainment to see how they're doing in the market. Here in Canada, there are very few Abarth models left in the "new" dealer condition, and of those, I don't think there are any manual transmission versions at all. Sad that. One one hand, I'm so happy to have a rare and unusual car. On the other hand, I'm worried about longer term parts availability, but I'll deal with that issue when the time comes.

Reactions: NellyNel 1TWO4

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth
2 Posts

In Australia, we're down to 5 for sale second hand, all the new stock gone and with production finished, I'm seeing the asking prices rise and stock disappear from around 10 last week. We're in Spring now and heading into Summer so demand might pick up again.

Wonder if the Abarth 124 will end up being a collector's car and rise in value. I've been looking at the skyline r34 and r32's which are fetching 6 figures (USD!).

Never expected the car to be an investment but I can see why with no one wanting to sell this classic

They are no longer sending new units to the US for the 2021 model year, as well as pulling out the 500's. I think the last available model year for both in the US was 2019. I just had to trade in my 2014 500 Abarth for an automatic 124 Abarth due to a shattered clutch ankle. I got a very nice and surprising trade in value on the 500 and a decent deal on a 2017 Spider with insanely low mileage. The Spiders are hard to find in my region North of Chicago. I consider myself lucky to find what I did.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are no longer sending new units to the US for the 2021 model year, as well as pulling out the 500's. I think the last available model year for both in the US was 2019. I just had to trade in my 2014 500 Abarth for an automatic 124 Abarth due to a shattered clutch ankle. I got a very nice and surprising trade in value on the 500 and a decent deal on a 2017 Spider with insanely low mileage. The Spiders are hard to find in my region North of Chicago. I consider myself lucky to find what I did.
OT, but sorry to hear about your ankle. I shattered my heel bone in college and it was no fun at all. I will never be able to heel-toe as a result.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Off lease Spiders are starting to be auctioned off now. It will be interesting to see what happens with used pricing.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
This is a Ferrari Replica imposter work of art😃😃♥💋👍People with Lamborghinis old and young look at this car and turn heads .
I personally don't understand the idea of creating a fake Ferrari. Where I live there are far more Ferrari's (and Lambo's) on the road than Abarths, so why go mainstream when you can be unique? When I go to local Cars & Coffee events, the Abarth Spider gets as much attention as the exotic Italian cousins... mostly because it looks really nice, and few know the Abarth brand. Plus folks know their Ferrari models, so if I did this here I'd be laughed off the lot. But hey, whatever rocks folks socks. :)

But back to the original thread topic. I think there is potential for increased value propositions. I can's speak to classic status yet, but for sure value is improving. And this is the benchmark I use to make that assessment. When I look at 500 Abarth models for sale here in my country (they haven't been sold here since 2018), people are selling 2013 models for more than I got for mine when I sold it four years ago. So yes, rarity does increase value. People don't seem to be deterred by the fact that Fiat has been for the most part completely deserted here in Canada.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
They stop producing 124 spider not because it's a LEMON, because the 1.4 doesn't meet the environment norms and to put in a 1.3 turbo, well the costs get higher, then the Mazda accord needs to be renegotiated and FCA thought it would be better to stop production. So now that there will not be any New 124 spider available, it's normal the used 124 spider price will go up.

Mine is for sale $75K Euro as is with bells and whistles and I will be whistling to the bank.

Reactions: NellyNel 1TWO4

·
Registered
48 Posts
Once many years ago, a dear friend and notable art collector gave me some sound advice when it comes to purchasing Art; “Acquire what you love and never anticipate a profitable return”.....or something very similar! The 124 is Art for me.
They’ll put my cold body in it, float it out on the lake on a raft and draw a bow knocked with a flaming arrow....off to Vahalla in style!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts