Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel with the standard setup of your Abarths? Personally, I like the fact that the setup is very soft and affords very well the bumpy roads, but I also feel that there's too much 'squat' in the rear when accelerating hard after a curve.
There's also a lot of body roll but this is not giving any trouble to me, but the squat is quite annoying.
Please share have your thoughts, thanks

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I have not flogged the car very hard since it's still under 1000 miles, but I am very happy with the way the suspension is tuned. If you believe the ND crowd, the Club model is required to have aftermarket springs to get it right. This is not an inexpensive mod when you include the cost of an alignment.
There is some sentiment that Fiat got it right as far as spring rates go.
I like the car very much and can't say I've noticed any squat issues coming out of turns. I particularly enjoy the steering feel and the razor-sharp response to my inputs. I'd say it's a very well-sorted car.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I can understand somebody wanting an inch drop from an aesthetic perspective, and maybe a bit flatter/tauter if they spend a lot of time at the track, but other than that, I think Fiat have done a good job on it for a road car. Ride is a bit "jiggly" but it soaks up big hits pretty well, and I don't find that the car dives, squats or rolls excessively at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I find that the Abarth is a bit bouncy in the front, especially compared to the ND with the base Sport suspension. I think my first move is going to be a tire and wheel change to reduce the un sprung weight and then see how things are from there. I was really disappointed to find out that the stock Abarth wheels are so heavy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I notice the rear squat when I push very hard on bumpy mountain roads, especially going uphill: when I flat down the pedal in 2nd and 3rd gear out from a curve the rear goes down and oversteers, if the surface is flat there's just a lot of fun, but if the surface is bumpy then the rear starts moving hard up and down and makes the car to loose the contact with the street, causing a loss of control if I don't reduce the pedal.
To me it seems a lack of rebound damping force from rear shocks.

Clearly I'm talking about a situation that only occurs when pushing the car at the limit, in all 'normal' situations I also like very much the standard setup.
The problem is that I like driving hard my 124 and the mountain roads where I live are all bumpy, so I notice it quite often.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
too bad about Abarth wheels

SNIP! I think my first move is going to be a tire and wheel change to reduce the un sprung weight and then see how things are from there. I was really disappointed to find out that the stock Abarth wheels are so heavy.
I am disappointed too. IMO Goodwin Racing has a couple of choices that would really enhance looks and performance without sacrificing anything but $$$.
Pete

·
772 Posts
I think that out of the box, FIAT did well but there is room for improvement of course. Upgraded springs or coil overs is the best way to go. It improves the look and the handling without sacrificing the ride much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts