Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of posts about dealers not resetting the tire pressure on the 124, this morning I took my trusty gauge out. All four tires were set at 32 cold (at least they weren't at 50 psi when I drove the car home 300 miles from the dealer). I dropped all the tires to 29 cold, so then I wanted to reset or initiatilize the tire pressure monitoring system. I couldn't find anything in the manual about a switch and a quick scan around the car didn't turn up a switch. Then I saw in a post in the forum that the second switch in the upper row of 6 switches by the DSC override has a TPMS mark--except my car just has a blank no- functioning switch there. Is there a TPMS on the Abarth with luxury package? or is the control somehow from the Connect 7.0 display?

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are several pages in the manual dedicated to the TPMS, starting with page 83/84. It is supposed to be the 2nd switch on the top row. I suppose its possible the cap has the wrong one on it, but in any case, you have to hold it in for several seconds and watch for a beep and dash indicator flashing so you know its reset.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in Abarth manual

Are you looking at the Abarth manual, which seems to be different from the 124 manual for the Lusso/Classica? I thought it might just be adifferent cover, but for example pages 83-84 in the Abarth manual (at least the U.S. edition) are about oil monitoring, not TPMS. And I haven't found anything in the manual about setting/reseeting TPMS, it just has information about the indicators in the section about all the dashboard lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the pages you were referring to, they are in the User Guide which has a ton of info that is harder to access in the "Abarth Owners Manual." Will check again to see if my unmarked button does anything, but to me it feels like it doesn't depress. Thanks for your quick response.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big mystery continues

OK, I went out to the car (124 Spider Abarth, manual, with luxury package) with the pages from the User Guide. On my dashboard there is a button for DSC defeat and for BSM on/off then four blank buttons, none of which move, they are dummies. I looked all over and do not see a switch for the TPMS. I also looked at all available SETTINGS and APPLICATIONS on the Connect screen. Either there is no TPMS or there is a secret way to activate/initialize it. Please anyone else who has an Abarth with luxury package respond if you have an answer. I will call Fiat tomorrow, though I know for sure that the people on this Forum are more knowledgeable about the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ameridan, thanks so much. After searching the Forum again just now, I found a thread where this was discussed so I apologize for the repeat post. I continue to be surprised by the differences in the Abarth version!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ameridan, thanks so much. After searching the Forum again just now, I found a thread where this was discussed so I apologize for the repeat post. I continue to be surprised by the differences in the Abarth version!
I looked at the online user manual pg.121. A sport mode TPMS is discussed with register/reset procedure. I am thinking the sport mode type is what is in the Abarth.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Abarth TPMS is described on pages 71-74 of my Australian Owner's Manual.

There is only a sensor ID code registration procedure described (for when new wheels are fitted or tyres changed).

The sensors do not require resetting.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Soooo.....are we saying, set the pressure to the desired level (TPMS will probably turn on) and cycle the car on and off a few times and the TPMS will reset? ....I want to do this, but am still stumped. tia S

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ok....the dealer had tried to take the pressures down to 30, but gave up when they reached 35....said that the low pressure light came on. I decided to take them down to 30 myself, and see what would happen ....NOTHING...no dash light, no nothing. I am happy ....car sticker does say 29 both front and back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are you looking at the Abarth manual, which seems to be different from the 124 manual for the Lusso/Classica? I thought it might just be adifferent cover, but for example pages 83-84 in the Abarth manual (at least the U.S. edition) are about oil monitoring, not TPMS. And I haven't found anything in the manual about setting/reseeting TPMS, it just has information about the indicators in the section about all the dashboard lights.
I have a 2018 Abarth manual and pages 82 - 84 is all about the TPMS, how changing tires affects the TPMS, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts