Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my 124 Abarth was almost stalling when I would turn right in second gear. It would be fine if I turned left. Also the car had trouble starting sometimes. I would push the start button and the engine would stutter for a few seconds then be ok. To end it all I took it in to be looked at and the mechanic said the Abarth uses a lot of oil. When he checked the engine oil, it was extremely low. He said when I was turning right the remaining oil would move and not reach the outlet valves or something. Once he topped up the oil all the problems went away. The question I need answered is anyone else noticed there Abarth using a lot of oil. Im trying to see if this is normal for this car or if I have a problem. I have never seen any of my past cars use oil like this. My car has only done 8000 km and is not due for its first service till 15000 km.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have over 3,000 miles on mine with no apparent usage. At least one other member has noticed this problem.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My dealer told me to change oil at 8,000k and I think you're due especially first oil change.

15k km that would be around around 9k miles. I think eiither you misunderstood or dealer doesn't know nothing about the car.

Check your intake, prior to the turbo, see how much oil you have. You should have put an oil catch can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Lusso did the first 9000 miles with no top ups at all, it was close to the lower mark on the dipstick when it went in for the first service so I guess it used about a pint in that time. It's just gone past 16,000 miles and I've had to top it up this time though, not sure if this is because the dealer didn't fill it to the upper mark at the service (I didn't check) or whether it's actually started using oil. A pint was enough to get it most of the way up the dipstick again and it'll go in for service again in two weeks. Either way, the oil use on mine I consider ok for a car running a modern thin oil like this although the Punto I had before ran 18,000 mile service intervals and I never topped that up at all!

Just out of interest, the factory tolerance for oil usage in the similar Audi TFSi engines is 0.5 litres every 1000 km, at that rate you'd have changed the oil completely twice in top ups alone by the time a 124 had got to the first 9000 miles service!

·
Registered
560 Posts
In 13,000 miles I have yet to use any oil. I check it weekly and it's always been right at the full even with some pretty aggressive driving. I've changed it twice.
Interesting.

Lately my 124 Abarth was almost stalling when I would turn right in second gear. It would be fine if I turned left. Also the car had trouble starting sometimes. I would push the start button and the engine would stutter for a few seconds then be ok. To end it all I took it in to be looked at and the mechanic said the Abarth uses a lot of oil. When he checked the engine oil, it was extremely low. He said when I was turning right the remaining oil would move and not reach the outlet valves or something. Once he topped up the oil all the problems went away. The question I need answered is anyone else noticed there Abarth using a lot of oil. Im trying to see if this is normal for this car or if I have a problem. I have never seen any of my past cars use oil like this. My car has only done 8000 km and is not due for its first service till 15000 km.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My car has 13,000km on it. Dealer did an oil change at 4000 km and just recently I was contemplating doing my own oil change. I checked the oil level and it was at the very bottom of the markings on the dip stick.
So it has used some oil in the last 9000km, but not so much that I would worry about it.
However I will be keeping an eye on it and knowing the complicated oiling system in our engine, I will probably plan on changing it every 8000km ( 5000miles) in the future.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is only 3,8l oil in the engine and the corrugated area on the dipstick equates to about 0,5l Oil.
Thanks for that info. I was curious as to how much oil the corrugated area corresponded to.

·
Registered
483 Posts
it is not uncommon for a new car to consume a little bit of oil. it will do so due to the oil control rings not being bedded in. usually after about 5000 miles, the rings are completely seated and the oil consumption will be reduced. if you think the consumption is excessive, it would be prudent to contact the dealer's service department and have it checked out. the engine has a 48k warranty, might as well use it....

·
Registered
349 Posts
it is not uncommon for a new car to consume a little bit of oil. it will do so due to the oil control rings not being bedded in. usually after about 5000 miles, the rings are completely seated and the oil consumption will be reduced. if you think the consumption is excessive, it would be prudent to contact the dealer's service department and have it checked out. the engine has a 48k warranty, might as well use it....
This might be why some people suggest its good to intermittently get higher in the RPM range to help this process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will keep an eye on the level now that it's full. When I first got the car the level was net even a third full, so I guess it's used around 700 ml in 8000km. The mechanic did say the 124 Abarth use a bit of oil when new and will reduce as its run in. He even said they give a 2 litre can of oil to new customers on pick up to top up oil level before first service. To be sure as I said I will keep an eye on the levels to see how it goes. The car is running fine and all seems good. Does anyone know how much from empty it takes to fill the 124 Abarth with oil to full. I'm guessing 5 litres??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did for the first few thousand miles then once I worked out that it really wasn't using any I stopped bothering! I do 500 miles a week so used to do it with every weekend wash.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have 3k km and driving street and highway, it's getting hot now , oil catch can dry, oil level top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This might be why some people suggest its good to intermittently get higher in the RPM range to help this process.
I'd heard that... so when I first got the car I would do slow gradual increases into the upper rpm ranges every few days.. til I hit 500 miles..

After 1000 miles?.... Drive it like you stole it.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
advice on when to check?
I usually check it hot. when I fill up the gas....

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Check weekly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lately my 124 Abarth was almost stalling when I would turn right in second gear. It would be fine if I turned left. Also the car had trouble starting sometimes. I would push the start button and the engine would stutter for a few seconds then be ok.
Same here. I bought the car back in October (a 2017 Abarth with 10k miles). In January I took a hard right turn and the engine almost stalled. I also threw a CEL on the drive home with codes P1068, P106A, P1066, and P106C . It took 2 quarts to even register on the dipstick.

I'm currently burning about 1 quart every 1,000 miles! Catch can has been ordered & there's no oil on the garage floor. Is 1qt/1,000mi worth taking it to the dealer over? I've never owned a car that needed additional oil in between changes...

I put a few thousand miles on it over the winter while the oil may have been very low, and I noticed the valve train was quieter after I filled it up. Is there a chance I did any long term damage to the top end? It sounds buzzy sometimes...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had to put two quarts in my Classica recently, too. I had the same symptoms from above. My Eurocompulsion catch can literally didn't have a single drop of oil in it, so I doubt that will help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts