Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if there's already a thread about this, but I didn't see one...
I'm trying to find the best way to add additional sound proofing to my Spider. It's very noisy at highway speeds, and even though they put "additional sound proofing" in the Spiders, it's still very noisy from the road noise. The flimsy stuff around the rear wheel wells is pretty questionable and I'm wondering if some of those sticky sound proofing mats would help on the front and rear wheel wells. There's NOTHING in the front ones. I'm not really considering putting anything in the door panels or under the carpets, except maybe in the trunk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks heaps. I'll have to try to contact him about his results and where he got the replacement rivets that were messed up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,
Everywhere I look there is already sound proofing! I pried a few rivets from the lining in the trunk and there are already rubber mats there. Knocking around it sounded like the trunk is not an issue. The front floor also feels and sounds like it has noise proofing. Perhaps the wheel wells could be better, but I recently saw a short clip on why the Lexus was so quiet and it looked like they use the same felt-type pad in the rear as the Spider. I don't know....maybe it's coming from the muffler or pipes, but in the Classica, it's pretty quiet except on the highway. I'll have to take a passenger out on the road and see if they can figure where all the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The 124 is touted as having significantly better soundproofing than its Miata sibling, probably because Fiat knew they’d be selling to an older demographic. I’ve been driving sports cars for several years and noise is their nature. My Corvette and 350Z were much louder than the 124 at highway speeds. That’s not to say you might find something to help.

Reactions: supercalo2000
1 - 6 of 6 Posts