Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use any additives from stores like Pep Boys or AutoZone, such as injector cleaners or high octane “shots”?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
i do not

aloha mike

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,451 Posts
I have not used any cleaners yet but I have added VP Racing Fuels octane booster when I didn't have access to 100UL race gas or the water injection installed to keep the knock down when going all out. A full can will treat a full tank but since I race under 1/4 tank, I only add 6-8oz at a time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Additives...never have...never will. I run premium at all times.

·
Super Moderator
737 Posts
@MiniDreamCar

When I was about your age I added all kinds of stuff to my first car (a 1988 Pontiac Firebird...couldn't afford the Trans Am!). I was completely seduced by the bottles and displays and ads...no shame - those people know what they are doing! It's a very clever science of appealing to someone's emotions, especially when they love something and want to take care of it!

ALL OF THEM ARE SNAKE OIL AND A COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY.

(in my humble experience/opinion)

Although I must admit they do give you a good feeling using them.

I would listen to the advice of experts like Calhedron but other than that, skip them and save your money.

For that high of babying your baby - invest in some quality detailing products and show her some love!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Amsoil PI.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Amsoil PI.

This is the only thing I have used. I pour in a bottle at every oil change. Photos of pistons before and after proved to me that it worked to reduce carbon buildup.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never would have guessed it meant Performance Improver.

So, bring it to the dealer and put it in after they finish the oil change, with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Never would have guessed it meant Performance Improver.

So, bring it to the dealer and put it in after they finish the oil change, with a full tank of gas?
It's for people who do their own oil change. Since you're having the dealer do yours just ask for the deep sonic piston scrub. Same thing. Only better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You probably know this, but the manual calls for premium grade fuel.
Yes I read it; however, I have used regular for the past 2 years and no adverse effects. Super quiet engine, no engine knocks, great acceleration. I will run a tank of premium and see if there is any noticeable difference and will post. Thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
fuel? Yes

Oil? I only use Liquid Moly Ones

But Do not put that in our vehicle

it protects the engine a lot but when it comes to the multiair system

they really don't like the additives

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
This is the only thing I have used. I pour in a bottle at every oil change. Photos of pistons before and after proved to me that it worked to reduce carbon buildup.
The photos swayed me, too. XR recommended that I do a bottle over 2 consecutive fill ups, so that’s what I’m doing.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yes I read it; however, I have used regular for the past 2 years and no adverse effects. Super quiet engine, no engine knocks, great acceleration. I will run a tank of premium and see if there is any noticeable difference and will post. Thanks
For a high performance motor with a turbo that exceeds 20 psi, and in your hot summer climate, I wouldn’t recommend anything less than premium. You may not hear knock, but it has to knock for the PCM to adjust to lower octane.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
As others noted, premium fuel is a must. US 91/93 octane is highly recommended.

I recommend AMSOIL PI for a fuel additive. I use it, and others do here as well. I took before and after photos and videos of what the difference looked like on my 1.4L Turbo in my Cruze, and it was a substantial difference in deposit reduction on the piston. Here's a quick comparison picture I took:

On the left, you can see total carbon coating. On the right, you can see that where the fuel hit the piston on entry into the cylinder, it cleaned off practically everything and began to clean off even more. With a second dose, I likely would have been able to get even more of that carbon cleaned up off the piston, but I stopped the test at that point. You can see the manufacturing barcode on the piston.

Keep in mind I always used only top tier 93 octane fuel in that car; that wasn't enough to keep carbon build-up under control.

"Before" video:

"After" video:

A regular use of a top end cleaner will also keep injectors clean, which will help with fuel atomization and efficiency. It will also keep valves cleaned, ensuring a good seal to the cylinder head, and will keep carbon deposits on pistons and the combustion chamber at bay, which will help control knock.

AMSOIL PI is one of the best, but there are many others that perform well. You're looking for a PEA (polyetheramine/polyether amine) based top end cleaner. That's what AMSOIL uses, andi t works well. Engineering Explained did a great video on how PEA works:

Other options include BG 44K, 3M Total System Cleaner, Redline SI, Gumout Regane, and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I believe that a regular use of a PEA-based fuel additive (once every 4,000-5,000 miles) will help keep your engine operating like new, at maximum efficiency, and will control deposits around piston crowns, ring lands, combustion chamber, valves, and injector tips.

You can get more details on AMSOIL's PI here: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/p-i-performance-improver-gasoline-additive/?code=APICN-EA&zo=5224266

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Also, I moved the thread to the appropriate section. This was in 124 Spider General Discussion. I moved it to "Oils, Fluids, Fuel, Additives And Lubrications."

Not sure why "lubrications" is plural. Going to have to fix that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts