Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the info. I generally always use shell premium.

On the oil side, I went to the dealer for my first oil change, 2880 miles, and in addition to full synthetic they use BG MOA oil additive. I was kind of uneasy at first, but they said they use it on all of their cars. (Alfas and Maseratis) It comes with an additional engine warranty.

Has any one else had this done?

I went on line and it seems like a good product.

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Thanks for the info. I generally always use shell premium.

On the oil side, I went to the dealer for my first oil change, 2880 miles, and in addition to full synthetic they use BG MOA oil additive. I was kind of uneasy at first, but they said they use it on all of their cars. (Alfas and Maseratis) It comes with an additional engine warranty.

Has any one else had this done?

I went on line and it seems like a good product.
I strongly recommend against additives like BG MOA. The only reason they can continue selling it is because of their sleazy engine warranty, but of course they then require the use of their additive permanently. Meanwhile, I'm over here getting oil analysis on engine oils on a regular basis and can't see a single reason why any of my thousands of customers could ever need or benefit from such an additive.

Here's one simple reason why I'll never use it. BG advertises that their additive adds more detergents and antioxidants. The antioxidants help prevent oxidation (oxidative thickening results in sludge) of engine oils, and detergents neutralize acidity on longer service intervals (also noted in their product page). Safe to say this additive should help oil last longer, right? There's a catch. Your antiwear additive package (ZDDP) actually competes with your detergent package, so adding more detergents actually reduces the antiwear properties of your oil because while ZDDP is trying to bond to metal and create a boundary lubrication layer, the detergents are constantly trying to clean it away. Here's a video where Lake Speed Jr from Driven Racing explains some of this behavior:

Here's an article from Driven Racing that explains it further:

Furthermore, BG MOA compromises the oil formulation by diluting the base oil with a "one size fits all" application rate. On an engine this small with a 3.9 quart sump, a bottle of BG MOA makes up 9% of the oil's volume. That's substantial!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts