Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would be bold enough to paint their brake calibers red to get the Brembo look ....or not :eek: I did it years ago on a '99 MX5 and it looked pretty good.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I have some matte black caliper paint in the garage right now...when I get the chance they are getting a couple of coats...a couple advantages....they look better and are easier to clean...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Done it to a few of my cars now. If you're meticulous with cleaning the calipers beforehand (disassemble them as far as you can short of removing the brake hose or pistons), and with your masking, you'll be sure to get a first rate job. Preparation really is key.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't see why you shouldn't and it'll match the rest of your car without the need to shell out more money for a set of red Brembo. Post up a few pics if you do paint them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Why would you do that? That's so newb rice rocket vape life!

Just kidding man, I just felt weird that nobody addressed the flame suit thing in a trolling manner ;)

It's your car firstly, so if you want that look, go for it. Tons of people do it and some do it just for beyond the aesthetics. It's easier to clean, puts some protection from rusting too. Just make sure you clean them real well and prep them properly and you should have a great turn out. There are tons of YouTube videos you can follow for reference. Post some pics of the progress and maybe you can make a DIY out of it for others who would like to try it !

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was going to have 500 Madness paint the rear calipers to match the red Wilwoods they were installing in the front. I skipped the idea after they warned me that the paint could turn pink after a certain number of heat cycles, based on their own experiences. Perhaps there is a solution to this, but I'd do my homework.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I was going to have 500 Madness paint the rear calipers to match the red Wilwoods they were installing in the front. I skipped the idea after they warned me that the paint could turn pink after a certain number of heat cycles, based on their own experiences. Perhaps there is a solution to this, but I'd do my homework.
Not sure what paint they are using...I painted my Corvette calipers with Red Duplicolor caliper paint and they looked the same 2 years later when I traded the car off...anyone out there have a bad experience with caliper paint??

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just checking, would it be okay if I stencil the word "Brembo" on mine? Or, maybe, just for fun: "Bimbo."

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not sure what paint they are using...I painted my Corvette calipers with Red Duplicolor caliper paint and they looked the same 2 years later when I traded the car off...anyone out there have a bad experience with caliper paint??
I used VHT Caliper Paint on mine. It was the same colour at the time of sale as it was when I applied it 3 years prior...

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-caliper-paint

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
this thread is starting to go South!!! lol
As should we all, so we can drive our cars in nice weather!

Seriously, though, brakes are one of the most important parts on a car. A splash of color on a functional part is not a problem. Now, covering the calipers with a plastic cover making them look like something they are not...that's another thing entirely.

I'll probably get the big Willwoods at some point (brake fade is not fun) and paint the rears to match.

Which brings up a question (sorry to hijack the thread); are the brembos on front AND rear or just front?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did this to my BMW E30 about 15 years ago and my son has the car now. The calipers still look pretty good considering the age of the paint. I had used the Duplicolor kit too IIRC.

·
Banned
425 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Just the front.
I think you are right, even though the website says it is a four wheel option. I have them and they are all red in color, but only the fronts have Brembo embossed on them. The fronts are four pot and the rears are two.
The Mazda site says they are clearly only the front. The upgrade price from Mazda is $3400! while the FIAT is $1495. Such a deal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts