Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning (6/30/17) while at O.C. Fiat in Costa Mesa, CA getting warranty work done on my 124A, 2nd set of brake pads replaced with less than 1K miles, a twin engine Cessna crashed and burned on the South bound 405 expressway near John Wayne airport in Santa Ana, CA. Both North and Southbound lanes were closed for hours as plane debris was in both lanes. An off-duty fire fighter pulled the two victims (husband & wife) from the burning wreckage. They both are recovering. The pilot said he lost power in one of his two of his two engines. This all happened while I was getting service warranty work done at the local Studio.

The South bound 405 is exactly the way I normally go from the Studio to home in Irvine, CA. Had I used the Fiat Navigation system, I would have been tied up in grid-lock for hours. I am often asked why I am running the Garmin GPS in tandem with the Fiat Navigation system. This is precisely why. The Garmin GPS knew that the 405 was closed, and sent me on an alternate route home. Have enjoyed the quality and serviceability of the Garmin GPS units for 19 years. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious as to why 2 sets of pads in such a short time?
The car was delivered with squeaking brakes upon delivery. When I took it to my local Studio (OC Fiat) they replaced only the rear pads, when in reality both front and rear were the problem. They insisted that I return the second time to prove that the problem continued. Then I had to wait over two weeks for the parts to arrive because they do not stock break pads. Upon replacing the front pads, the problem has now been solved. Thank goodness! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Well the advantage of real time traffic is that you know what's happening now......obviously. You have to pay for it here in Aus on the Abarth and Mazda. It's not worth the asking price for something you get free on other sat navs

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the advantage of real time traffic is that you know what's happening now......obviously. You have to pay for it here in Aus on the Abarth and Mazda. It's not worth the asking price for something you get free on other sat navs
That's quite true if you are talking about the nav features offered on most cell phones. However, I would guess that you pay a lot more for cell phone charges per month than the $7.00/mo I pay for my "dumb" phone. ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree. The NAV isn't bad. It uses HERE maps, which work well. But they don't know when things happen unless you paid extra for that.

Android Auto with Waze support would fix all our problems. In SoCal, the traffic patterns are far more important than the route.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Fiat/Mazda nav has a nice display and some good features - like advance display of multiple exit lanes. But it's essentially useless in congested large metro areas without real-time traffic updates. I also carry along a Garmin with FM live traffic (the kind that's in the Spider owner's manual but not in the car). I don't need it in rural areas but for LA or SFO or even Sacramento and Portland the combo keeps me moving.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wedgewa:
What do you mean with this expression: "(the kind that's in the Spider owner's manual but not in the car)"
CA_Kid

·
Registered
476 Posts
the car is supposed to have live updates via FM in certain metro areas. however i have yet to see it do it. Live updates from the Sirius had saved me many hours of sitting in traffic, one trip alone i saved over an hour. One of the things i really miss from my previous car. Also my most recent trip the car failed to recognize were i was because i jumped into a HOV lane, i wasn't even on a mapped road. had to have my copilot load nav on his phone so i knew when to get off the HOV as i was in an area i wasn't familiar with.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wedgewa:
What do you mean with this expression: "(the kind that's in the Spider owner's manual but not in the car)"
CA_Kid
Before I bought the car, I read through the owners manual online and since buying the car last July I have 2 different editions of the printed owners manual. All 3 include detailed info on FM/HD radio live traffic being enabled in the Fiat Spider. But it is not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the car is supposed to have live updates via FM in certain metro areas. however i have yet to see it do it. Live updates from the Sirius had saved me many hours of sitting in traffic, one trip alone i saved over an hour. One of the things i really miss from my previous car. Also my most recent trip the car failed to recognize were i was because i jumped into a HOV lane, i wasn't even on a mapped road. had to have my copilot load nav on his phone so i knew when to get off the HOV as i was in an area i wasn't familiar with.
I had that happen on my last drive through LA. I had both the Fiat and Garmin programmed. The Fiat system completely erased my routing when it couldn't place me on it's map. The Garmin was fine.

I own a 2006 Jag with a DVD nav system. Updates were discontinued in 2010. When it can't place me on it's outdated map, it continues to track my position and the polite British lady says, "Please return to pavement."

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a 2006 Jag with a DVD nav system. Updates were discontinued in 2010. When it can't place me on it's outdated map, it continues to track my position and the polite British lady says, "Please return to pavement."

Perhaps it switched to the Aviation Version and was asking you to return from 6,000 feet to "Mother Earth."
CA_Kid

·
Registered
476 Posts

Perhaps it switched to the Aviation Version and was asking you to return from 6,000 feet to "Mother Earth."
CA_Kid
maybe, i was being nagged because i was going a steady 79mph, guess maybe the wings were deployed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts