Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - any advice on how to wash my car? I’ve always done it on my w own and find it difficult now living in a flat with no hose/water outside. I am terrified of the ‘hand wash’ car washes, as well as the mechanical car washes…. And unsure of the ‘touchless’. Any advice? Many thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a touchless close and I take all my vehicles there. There a few of them some better then others, The one I use also has dryers to remove as much water as it can and it cleans very well

nothing touches the car

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,344 Posts
Agree with above^^ one caveat, it never cleans as good as a hand wash. That being said I have only ever used the high pressure touch-less car wash on my car and have never had anything touch the paint since I bough it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I highly recommend using a rinseless wash like ONR or McKee's N-914 (I use the latter). It's extremely cheap per wash, you don't need a hose or running water, and you can wash the car just about anywhere.

Our cars are so small that it only takes a gallon of distilled water with a half ounce of rinseless solution to do the entire car including the wheels.

Our clear coat is very thin, so I'm wary of frequent paint correction and polishing. The rinseless wash doesn't induce any swirls, even though I use it once or twice a week.

I paint corrected and polished my Spider only once in the past 3 years. Even after a couple of years of rinseless washes, I still get compliments on how great the paint looks.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
620 Posts
Do you guys in the UK have the self-service style washes where you pay and get a certain number of minutes with a pressure washer? I use one of those sometimes here. I take my own microfiber towels and wax, since using the brush at a public wash is criminal. The water may be recycled but usually is pretty well filtered (and you can verify by spraying some in a bucket and letting it settle if you prefer to check to make sure there's not a high level of dirt/grit in the water)..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovely photos - don’t know about ONR and will do some googling… I live on the the 3rd floor - so I could come down with a bucket to two - and that’s about it! Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lovely photos - don’t know about ONR and will do some googling… I live on the the 3rd floor - so I could come down with a bucket to two - and that’s about it! Thank you
ONR = Optimum No Rinse. It's very well regarded here in the USA, particularly in states like California where there are severe water restrictions. I've since switched to N-914, but you can't go wrong with either product. Both are great, as are others like Wolfgang Uber Rinseless (the only other one I've used).

My wife and l live most of the year in an apartment complex as well, so rinseless is really the only way to keep my cars clean as I don't have access to a driveway or spigot. I don't trust the local car washes at all.

Luckily, even two buckets is overkill! I use one small 2 gallon bucket for the wash and a pump sprayer to presoak the panels. Works a treat.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
If you have a few cubic feet of storage space, you could also consider the purchase of a battery powered pressure washer. I bought a unit from Sun Joe, and though you do have the option to hook it up directly to a water hose, it also is meant to run by filling the top reservoir with water and using that. I've washed my wife's car with it many times, and it works very well... especially if you're using a soap cannon to do the pre-soak. We finish it off with microfiber towels. But, for my Spider, like others have mentioned, I use a local service where you plug in some coins or swipe your credit card, and then you have a selector wheel to choose from various detergents, pre-soak agents, power rinse, spot free rinse, etc. And you're the one holding the pressure wand and using the system, so no worries in regards to someone damaging your paint. Once again, when complete, I drive out, park and spend five minutes drying it off with microfiber towels. I had my vehicle paint corrected and ceramic coated four years ago, and it washes up shiny as the day I brought it home from the dealer.

Not sure if you have access to Sun Joe in the UK, but I'll provide the link. If you don't have them, there will likely be other outfits that sell to your region and market lithium battery powered power washers. One thing that's really nice about the Sun Joe is that when there's no water in the upper tank, it weighs bugger all. So easy to carry around or lift up for storage if you can't sit it on the floor.

Sun Joe cordless 48V pressure washer

Reactions: tedkaras

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I’ve spent some time online finding a bucket/sponge/n-914/microfibre/spray pump. Will be all set very soon….. any recommendations for the soft top and wheels/tires/other products/etc. thanks all!

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
296 Posts
Ok, so I’ve spent some time online finding a bucket/sponge/n-914/microfibre/spray pump. Will be all set very soon….. any recommendations for the soft top and wheels/tires/other products/etc. thanks all!
Chemical guys has high quality top clear and sealer, havent used their wheel stuff but i bet its just fine. I never use the tire stuff though, if you drive right after it flings all over the car…

·
Registered
478 Posts
Our clear coat is very thin, so I'm wary of frequent paint correction and polishing. The rinseless wash doesn't induce any swirls, even though I use it once or twice a week.

View attachment 94238
You clean your car twice a week? 😲

It looks very impressive, but I ain't got time fo' that! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
You clean your car twice a week? 😲

It looks very impressive, but I ain't got time fo' that! :D
Hehe, I'm sure I'm overdoing it a tad, but I can't abide a dirty/dusty car. Besides, I'm retired and still in my forties so I have both time and energy to keep it clean!

In all seriousness, once you find a rinseless routine you prefer (a sponge or the Garry Dean method of using a few microfiber cloths), you can wash, dry, and protect the entire car in less than 15 minutes, assuming you use a spray wax or sealant of some sort as a drying aid. The time commitment is really pretty minimal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Used ONR for the first time today. Got the "new improved" one with carnuba wax. Used tap water ( water here is very hard ) Used a sprayer on each panel in turn then wiped it down with a soaked and wrung out microfibre cloth then dried it with another. Used the same wash cloth for the whole car rinsing it well against the bucket grit guard. As my paint is not 100% I expected to have it corrected and coated after this trial, but no, no mores scratches than were already there, no swirl marks etc. Gobsmacked o_O , it really works!

·
Registered
24 Posts
for reference, from cleanyourcar.co.uk

Product NameQuantity
Total​
Eurow - Premium Edgeless Work Towels Pkg/12
- Model: MT-UT16-PBLU12
1​
£19.95​
Optimum No Rinse - Wash & Wax 1 US Gallon (3.76 Litres)
- Model: ONR-WW128
1​
£52.95​
Eurow - Detailers Preference Gold Buffing Towels Pkg/15
- Model: DP-MT2P-15
1​
£18.95​

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
When it comes to washing her, I have so far washed her myself, micro fiber, to wash and micro fiber to dry her and she sparkles. Yes 2 years ago, I did a ceramic coating and was worth it. No car wash for her.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use airplane detailer wash and wax. It's literally spray on, wipe off, and buff. Looks amazing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts