Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my dream gauge setup: dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges on pillar pods. The last time I talked about wanting to do this was... when... last year? lol. Time flies! These gauges can simultaneously read and display both OBD data and analog data from aftermarket sensors. I think multi-functional gauges like this make perfect sense for our cars as we don't really have much interior space to put multiple single-purpose gauges. Plus hooking up to the OBD is child's play compared to some of the options out there. Our OBDs already output the majority of info we would need to monitor the health of our cars.

Aeroforce does not previously have a gauge for the 124. They had one for the 500 but that gauge doesn't work on the 124 because for some reason Fiat decided to program the OBD signal slightly differently between the two cars. I worked with Aeroforce over the past few months to get the gauge working on the 124. Well, more like they got it working, I just gave them my car so they can do tests on it. I have to say, this is the best company I've ever dealt with. They spent quite some effort making this happen knowing there's a chance that nothing may come of it. If anyone has any questions about the gauges, feel free to ask me here or email AeroForce.

The pillar pod is from Ortiz. I have to warn anyone thinking of getting pillar pods NOT to order the ND Miata pods that Ortiz offers, because THEY DON'T FIT!! That's right, the ND and 124's interiors are not exactly identical... I can't believe it either. I only managed to get it installed after hours of dremeling. If you want pillar pods, send an actual 124 A-pillar to either Ortiz or a pod maker of your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This is great news, I am considering an Interceptor again now.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I thought I remember reading posts that mentioned the structural integrity of the pillar pods was less than stellar. Has that situation changed now? Cracking and separation are no longer an issue? What you've posted is very intriguing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I thought I remember reading posts that mentioned the structural integrity of the pillar pods was less than stellar. Has that situation changed now? Cracking and separation are no longer an issue? What you've posted is very intriguing.
Their quality is hit and miss.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is pretty strong, as strong as the OEM pillar. I do not notice any thin spots. The only issue I found is that the paint is slightly uneven, and they missed a few spots (they're tiny and barely noticeable). Ortiz is also pretty slow unless you send them your pillar. Their price is okay though for such a labor intensive job. There are definitely other pillar pod makers besides Ortiz if you can find them.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great news, I am considering an Interceptor again now.
VERY underrated gauge that deserves to be better known. This is the Swiss army knife of gauges that can do almost anything. You probably know because I recall you had one before on another car. The only thing that's missing is a moving needle display. I don't mind it but I think some people prefer to read their boost off of a needle. Aside from that though, this gauge is all you need to monitor pretty much everything on your car, and it looks gorgeous too.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
VERY underrated gauge that deserves to be better known. This is the Swiss army knife of gauges that can do almost anything. You probably know because I recall you had one before on another car. The only thing that's missing is a moving needle display. I don't mind it but I think some people prefer to read their boost off of a needle. Aside from that though, this gauge is all you need to monitor pretty much everything on your car, and it looks gorgeous too.
I’ve owned a couple of them on previous cars. I had previously tried the Fiat Interceptor on my 124, but it didn’t work.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve owned a couple of them on previous cars. I had previously tried the Fiat Interceptor on my 124, but it didn’t work.
They initially gave me a Fiat gauge to test out and it didn't work either, then they tweaked the code and it worked. Our cars are programmed slightly differently from 500s and other 1.4 MultiAir cars. Why would Fiat do this, I have no idea!

If you don't need the gauge on your other car anymore, maybe you can see if AF can reprogram it for you.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
They initially gave me a Fiat gauge to test out and it didn't work either, then they tweaked the code and it worked. Our cars are programmed slightly differently from 500s and other 1.4 MultiAir cars. Why would Fiat do this, I have no idea!

If you don't need the gauge on your other car anymore, maybe you can see if AF can reprogram it for you.
It has the red display, I need the white one for my 124 :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has the red display, I need the white one for my 124 :)
I also like the white ones the best; that's what I got. They're just a hint more blue compared to the white from our gauge clusters, but not as blue as how they look in my photo. My potato sucks at getting the white balance right. But looking at them with the naked eye, they blend in very well with the rest of the interior.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was testing the gauge over the weekend and found some interesting features. By default the gauge displays two parameters, but you can actually set it to four or even eight. The text gets a little small with 8 parameters so I guess it’s more for diagnostics, but the 4 parameter mode works great for driving; this really increases the value of the gauge since that allows it to replace 4 single-purpose gauges instead of 2. The update rate is surprisingly fast, even with 8 parameters, I would say several times per second. It’s faster than any OBD adapter or app combo I’ve ever used, including OBDWiz + ScanTool USB.

There’s also a pair of programmable lights that flash rapidly when a parameter of your choice reaches a range that you specify. The possible applications are endless. For example, I set one of the gauges to flash when RPM gets above 6000, turning the gauge into a shift indicator.

The OBD parameters I found working are:
Boost
Manifold absolute pressure
Ambient pressure
Ignition advance
Battery voltage
Air fuel ratio
Commanded air fuel ratio
Lambda
Commanded lambda
Short term fuel trim
Long term fuel trim
Engine load
RPM
Throttle %
Intake air temp
Ambient temp
Coolant temp
Catalytic converter temp

This last pic is to show my full POV. The pillar pods are really out of the way. Even with 2 gauges I still have room left over for a phone mount above my right hand vent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think you have a nice setup there, @HaZ. The only thing missing is oil temp. Can you use those gauges for that and do you have plans to add one? That's the only real bit of data I miss.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I don't think our cars have an oil temp PID, would need to install an oil temp sensor.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I don't think our cars have an oil temp PID, would need to install an oil temp sensor.
You're right, Dave. I didn't phrase my question clearly. @HaZ, can those gauges accept an oil temp sensor and do you plan on adding one?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You're right, Dave. I didn't phrase my question clearly. @HaZ, can those gauges accept an oil temp sensor and do you plan on adding one?
The Interceptor has 2 analog inputs :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Chainringtattoo Sorry, was away, yup as Dave says it takes two analog inputs. Personally I find the OBD coolant temp to be sufficient as far as knowing when you can start pushing the car is concerned. The blue cold engine light on the dash usually goes off when coolant temp reaches 60 C. Normal operating temp is 77 C. I usually start gunning it when coolant is above 70 C

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
@HaZ what email are you using to contact Aeroforce?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts