Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything new re after market Brembo kits? Still hard to find? For those of you with Wilwoods, are you happy with them? Looking to make some mods on the car in a few months. Updating the brakes is one consideration.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you install yourself or have someone else do it for you? Have heard good things about the Wilwoods so far. Saw them earlier at a car show this year, but the Wilwood rep was not so helpful as he had never heard of the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you install yourself or have someone else do it for you? Have heard good things about the Wilwoods so far.
I did the install myself but have been working on cars for almost 40 years (I'm an automotive engineer). Nothing too difficult, just have to bleed the brakes afterward. And they look great.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My better half is a gear head and wants to do the work himself. He's did a similar project on his hobby car, so it's good to know that there's nothing weird about it. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
someone mentioned here that the eom brakes are very good, after markets breaks are good if you plan to do some track racing. My eom brakes they brake on a Canadian dime. LOL

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
879 Posts
someone mentioned here that the eom brakes are very good, after markets breaks are good if you plan to do some track racing. My eom brakes they brake on a Canadian dime. LOL
My OEM brakes remind me of my 1982 240 Volvo. Now, that car had brakes what am brakes!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have the Wilwood big rotor six piston front and four piston rear and feel they are the best upgrade I've made.
Agree. Big improvement from stock which, coming from a Corvette GS, felt too marshmallow to me. Also, for safety reasons I like the best brake possible in a little car.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I think the best breaks are between the steering wheel and the seat. You could have the best breaks in the world, but if Error code 18, is not sharp, well you know what's going to happen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the inexpensive (dynalight) 4 piston Wilwoods with lightweight 12.2" rotors. The improved braking feel is one thing I like about it but also like the reduction in unsprung, rotating mass. The weight savings was 8 lbs per wheel, add that to a lightweight wheel (15lbs) compared to stock Abarth (22lbs) and you have a massive improvement in ride and handling as well as the improvement in braking.

16lbs saving in brakes + 28lb savings in 4 wheels + 9 lb saving in full exhaust with muffler delete + 11lb saving with group 51R battery = 64lbs total saving,...so far.

I did not do the rear brake upgrade because of concerns regarding the holding ability of the stock emergency brake when combined with the wilwood kit.

I did the install myself and while I was not impressed with the decision of Wilwood to go with npt fittings on the back of their calipers, with a little patience and careful thought of which way to aim the right angle coupler, I was able to get it setup without leaks and with solid pedal feel.

If I was planning track days though I would go for one of the more robust wilwood kits.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the inexpensive (dynalight) 4 piston Wilwoods with lightweight 12.2" rotors. The improved braking feel is one thing I like about it but also like the reduction in unsprung, rotating mass. The weight savings was 8 lbs per wheel, add that to a lightweight wheel (15lbs) compared to stock Abarth (22lbs) and you have a massive improvement in ride and handling as well as the improvement in braking.
8lbs savings per wheel with the brakes? Wow. I would put on the 6 piston Wilwoods most likely, but I can see where that would be worthwhile.

Greg, thanks for your response as well. I'm not planning on racing this at track days. Part of this is for show, and part of it is for go, as traffic is bad and getting worse in the Bay Area. This car is my baby, and so I'm having fun adding things now and again. Brakes seemed like a good place to start. Brembo's would be ideal as they are spec'd on the Abarth, but it doesn't seem like an option right now. I may just wait and see if they become available next year.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...and this is where the more practical side of me kicks in...the Wilwoods may end up being the better brake set, so forget going with what would otherwise be stock on a Abarth. First world problem...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How many miles are people getting on the stock brakes? I probably won't update until it's time to replace the originals.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe I heard, and I may be wrong, but the Wildwoods give you more wheel options as clearance is less of an issue.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I believe I heard, and I may be wrong, but the Wildwoods give you more wheel options as clearance is less of an issue.
This is true.

Yay necro-threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts