Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably the least tech savvy person on this forum with the least experience with adding aftermarket goodies to a brand new car, so I'm curious about the effect on the factory warranty when changes are made that effect the performance of the vehicle.
I can't believe that people would be installing items that would void the factory warranty but I also can't believe that there are no limitations as to what you can do to a new car without effecting the warranty. So before I go down the aftermarket add-on road, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue and again I apologize for my ignorance on this particular question.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, it's complicated. It depends on what you do and how much of a dick your dealer wants to be.

Like if you put a tune on it and it turns out you had a bad turbo that then blows out, honest dealers would recognize the tune had minimal impact on the turbo and would just fix it, particularly if they'd seen other cars without tunes with similar problems. Less honest ones could claim your tune overstressed the turbo and made it blow, and it would be awfully hard for you to prove otherwise.

It's a calculated risk. The more you modify, the more the odds increase that you'll be on your own for certain failures, but it's all a grey area. My rule is that I won't mod anything I don't feel comfortable footing the bill for it all goes south, with the recognition that the actual odds of that happening are small.

It's still a "pay to play" situation. Modding the car creates risk that a warranty claim wouldn't be honored. That risk is generally quite small with most mods, but still greater than zero.

If you can't handle the risk, don't do it. It's a **** fine car completely stock. In return for taking on the small risk of a mod, you get an even better car.

I'll probably get a flash tune on my Lusso eventually, but I'm not in a hurry to be an early adopter. I'll run my engine long enough (maybe 20k miles) so be sure there aren't any obvious issues with it before I flash it and the whole flashing process has been refined and tunes tweaked.
Perhaps an air intake (V1) as well. Those seem pretty high on the "safe" side. I'm not enough of a mechanic to do much more.

I intend to keep mine on the street and not autocross or otherwise track it, so I don't need any radical mods in the first place. So I feel pretty safe with my plans and it's just waiting for the right moment to jump on them. I'll be keenly listening for stories of modders encountering dealers and how it goes as my own decision time approaches.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really does come down to the dealer's attitude. Obviously major changes...say a turbo upgrade, cam, internal work or the like will throw flags and could cause them to void warranty as the parts are not stock. But if the mechanics are apt enough at what they do they can determine if those "upgrades" or changes actually caused the failure. As well, as Tom stated, how often the dealer see's modified vehicles.

Perfect example, I have a 2012 FJ Cruiser, 4" lift, new struts, coils, A-arms, upper/lower control arms, sway bars, taller gears, intake, cam, winch, various electrical accessories such as LED lights bars, etc. And the truck is almost never clean (as is the point of an off road rig) so when it does see the dealer for service or warranty issues (Only had one issue btw - truck is a beast) they don't hassle me for the modifications as they see many lifted or otherwise altered off road vehicles because of the area they are in.

As our cars become more common place/popular and dealers are used to them coming in altered or what have you, they will learn just like we are. Anything new takes time to digest for everyone. As well, Tom again put this very well, as time goes on tune's and other mods will be refined and we will see longevity results of what people have done. The car really is great in stock form, hence why we own them. So there's no rush necessarily to go crazy with it. Wait until YOU feel comfortable with changing things, research what you want, learn from the many great minds here on the forum and other sources and make an informed decision. Ultimately, it's your money, your car, your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts