Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any light any upgraded after market lightbulbs (Like Phillips bulbs) make a big difference in the visibility. Do they wear out fast like the bright light aftermarket used to burn out in a few months. If you do install them is it easy to do yourself? Joel

·
Registered
480 Posts
it has been my experience you get what you pay for. if you are replacing lamp elements for headlights, I would recommend going with a well known manufacturer like phillips or Sylvania. if you are planning on the Chinese knock off lamps, it may be hit or miss. the real question is whether the performance off the factory units are substandard. my experience is they work very well. personally I would wait until one unit burns out and it is time to replace the set, then go for the premium lamps....

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't had phillips or sylvanias burn out that quickly, but I have had HID kits burn out that quickly if not quicker. The problem is HID kits regularly only have a shelf life of 3000-5000 running hours which may sound like a lot, but they usually don't even meet that standard.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
I haven't looked at direct OEM replacements for mine yet, but I've done a ton of research on this topic.

If you want an upgrade, look for a Philips Xtreme Vision, but expect to replace the bulb every 18-24 months, depending on how often you use it. Another option is the Osram Nightbreaker. I'm not sure which is available for this car, but they are both high efficiency halogen lamps that produce well over the output of the OEM lamps. I'd recommend keeping one OEM lamp in your glove box just in case.

Avoid any lamp that has a blue tint covering the entirety of the capsule. Blue tint reduces output to simulate a "whiter" light, which fools you into thinking it's brighter.

Don't bother with HIDs. They have the potential to cause issues due to heat, and they almost always screw up the calibration of a housing designed for halogen lamps due to a different light shape and distance from socket base.

If your housing was not designed for an HID lamp, I'd recommend sticking with a high efficiency halogen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts