Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed a D shape steering wheel in their 124 yet?

Considering adding the DAMD or MOTOR-O-POLIS wheel to my x-mass wish list! >:)

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
441 Posts
I can't find the original post, but perhaps one of our folks here will remember it...

One of our forum members in Austria bought a new steering wheel from a German company that sells on-line. It looked very similar to your DAMD and it looked great installed.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Considering adding the DAMD or MOTOR-O-POLIS wheel to my x-mass wish list! >:)
I had the Motor-o-polis steering wheel on my NC miata when I traded it in for my fiat. Boy do I ever miss that wheel. The amount of customization that they allow you to do is really amazing. Color, material, stitching, shape, thickness,....You really get a quality custom wheel. They take a while to get because each one is custom made to your specs, but they are worth the wait. The install was really straight forward too.
For sure I will have one in my Abarth's future.

Reactions: pghgrhg

·
Registered
449 Posts
In Europe are many companies who can redesign your steering wheel. Just send it to the vendor and tell them what you want.
I paid just 240€ and it took one week.

I think, there are also some companies in the states who can do that if you ask it.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Considering adding the DAMD or MOTOR-O-POLIS wheel to my x-mass wish list! /forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
I had the Motor-o-polis steering wheel on my NC miata when I traded it in for my fiat. Boy do I ever miss that wheel. The amount of customization that they allow you to do is really amazing. Color, material, stitching, shape, thickness,....You really get a quality custom wheel. They take a while to get because each one is custom made to your specs, but they are worth the wait. The install was really straight forward too.
For sure I will have one in my Abarth's future.
I have a Motor-o-polis D shape wheel on order right now. Should be getting it in 3 or 4 weeks, just in time for the upcoming season.

So far, their customer service has been top notch.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
241 Posts
So what comes with the Motor-o-polis wheels, as the image shows the wheel plus the remote controls less airbag/horn/cover, but the infor says use your own steering wheel remotes and airbag/horn cover etc

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I didn't even know these things were things. This is awesome.

Reactions: Treetopflyer

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quite taken by the D shape one as it would give me a little more leg room, also they look really cool
Checking the MX5 forums and he has had some good write ups on the quality and service, just trying to find a youtube video of whats involved in swapping over the controls etc

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It takes 30-40 minutes if you have all the tools and follow the directions detailed here (worth reading the entire thread before tackling the install).

Install requires disconnecting the battery and waiting a few minutes before removing the air bag hub. Removing the hub took all of a couple of minutes by releasing 3 springs and a couple of connectors. Once electrical connections are undone, use a 21mm socket to remove the central nut. A steering wheel puller makes quick work of getting the wheel off. Buy or borrow one.

The time consuming part for most people is swapping the trim and controls to the new wheel. Helpful to have some plastic trim tools, heat gun and and lots of patience. Start by removing the back cover. The silver trim ring will be hooked into this piece with tabs and I found it necessary to remove them together by referencing pictures and working the fittings apart slowly. Once the back cover is off the wheel you have access to the hard rubber the rest of the trim pieces are pressure fitted into. Warm this rubber up before working trim away. As your work these pieces outward, you get a gap that allows you to start warming both sides of the rubber. Looking at the back, you will see the tabs are moving forward as you work the trim out of the wheel. Once the controls are half way out, you can pull them out without risk of damaging the controls, but if you don't heat the rubber they are embedded in, you risk tearing out pieces of the face side. Even using care, I tore a little of the rubber on the face side (not something you would see once reassembled, but it may result in a weaker connection if you reuse the OEM wheel later). Assemble the new wheel in reverse order. Very easy to warm the new wheel so and the assembly process took a couple of minutes.

I marked the spline and OEM wheel with a marker at the noon position with the wheels centered before I pulled the Wheel. This should make a reinstall of the old wheel easy. Also ensured I had the spline in the centered position when installing the new wheel. I had no alignment issues once the new wheel was installed.

I had expected the airbag and pulling the wheel to be the intimidating part, but it was cake with the right tools and average mechanical ability. Transplanting the trim was by far the more challenging part, but anyone can do it if patient. Don't time yourself for this part, just commit to taking it slow. And use the heat gun!

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the GuardianDesigns "corsa" wheel. Has anyone else had a chance to use this newest version?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Be carefull, I ended up having to have the dealer replace the clock spring, at no extra charge, thank God. I’ve replaced many steering wheels, at least 10. This is the first time I’ve had a problem.
How did you break it? Any way to avoid it?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No, have to pick up car today. I hate to ask to many questions. It was covered and they didn’t question the abarth badge on the wheel or the aftermarket steering wheel. Since there’s so few of these out there , they probably wouldn’t know the difference, haha.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Did you realize it was broken the second you took off the wheel? I'm just trying to get an idea of what happened to yours so I can possibly avoid lol. Did you use a puller?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts