Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading and advertisement that a K&N Engine Air filter for the 124 increases horsepower and acceleration.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone tried one?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
NO!! marketing hype

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I'll put out my disclaimer first. I am not a mechanic, but I pay good money to people who are. :)

But, my two cents worth is that an air filter by and of itself might have a negligible impact on overall performance. But if you replace the entire intake system to provide a lesser restricted and greater airflow, that is worth consideration. There are a few systems out there, but one that a lot of us have is the EuroCompulsion V4.1 instake system, which comes with a high flow air fliter. That will give you some performance improvement, and if you're willing to dig a bit deeper, you can consider upgrading your intercooler and investing in a performance tune to take advantage of those components.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
CD provided good advice. K&N isn't worth your trouble.
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a K&N filter but never got around to installing it. Will install and test it when I have time.

Reactions: gtjosh

·
Vendor
3,247 Posts
I tested this pretty carefully on a flow bench when the 124 first came out, and later on both the flow bench and dyno. I found that in this case, meaning with the 124 Spider, the K&N filter does not outflow the stock filter. The reason is that although the filter materiel is more free flowing, it has less of it due to shallower pleats. I'm not sure why K&N makes it that way, because with equal filter area we do usually see minor gains.

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed a difference with the K&N installed. I can't say more power, but the engine was slightly more responsive. I removed the stock filter that had about 15k miles on it and wasn't that dirty. I would recommend K&N.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I noticed a difference with the K&N installed. I can't say more power, but the engine was slightly more responsive. I removed the stock filter that had about 15k miles on it and wasn't that dirty. I would recommend K&N.
Same here. Can't give you specifics, but I'd swear that Lola feels a bit "peppier" with the K&N over the stock. (And it's not just because I spent the $$$, since it was a gift...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts