Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, I trying to see how dirty my Air Filter was... Since this is the first time I tried to take off the cover, I couldn't

get it off and I didn't know what was the trick. First, on the left hand side, there are two, looks like EVAP hoses... Do I take them off??

Then, on the right, it is tabbed into two slots, which I know you need to pull to the left to disengage. But there is no

slack in the intake hose to the turbo. So do I just remove the intake hose also???

Any tips or tricks on changing the air filter from you guys would be appreciated.

Cyberbill. Austin, Tx:(

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
The easiest way is to pop the clips on the 2 hoses and pull those hoses off...lift up the lid on the same side as the hoses connect to past the radiator hose and the pull slightly to the passenger side of the car...it should pop off at that point...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... will try...

The easiest way is to pop the clips on the 2 hoses and pull those hoses off...lift up the lid on the same side as the hoses connect to past the radiator hose and the pull slightly to the passenger side of the car...it should pop off at that point...
thanks... will try... Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are those two hoses on left side of air box??

What are those two hoses.?? Bill

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
How'd you do? I'm thinking of getting a higher quality, freeer flowing air filter?
Thanks a heap!
Here is my filter the aFe Pro Dry S, installs into the stock air filter box in the car. Meets both of your requirements. I use the dry filter, meaning it is not an oiled filter. Both versions are shown here, you pick the choice. Using the dry filter (synthetic fabric vs. a traditional paper filter), it is cleanable, which I'll be doing here soon with winter shutdown.

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine/products/afe-power-magnum-flow-air-filter-fiat-124-spider-abarth

I bought it after boiling down the info from this thread. Several here seem to be using it, or have used the aFe brand in the past with positive results. The thread will also get you going on the notion of installing an oil catch can in the PCV system, and maybe an air intake upgrade. I've done both, PLENTY of talk about both products on this board.
http://www.124spider.org/forum/145-intake-exhaust/8969-stock-vs-high-flow-air-filters.html

Steve.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So the other day, I trying to see how dirty my Air Filter was... Since this is the first time I tried to take off the cover, I couldn't

get it off and I didn't know what was the trick. First, on the left hand side, there are two, looks like EVAP hoses... Do I take them off??

Then, on the right, it is tabbed into two slots, which I know you need to pull to the left to disengage. But there is no

slack in the intake hose to the turbo. So do I just remove the intake hose also???

Any tips or tricks on changing the air filter from you guys would be appreciated.

Cyberbill. Austin, Tx:(
Let us know how dirty the filter is or post a pic along with the mileage. I went with the AFE dry filter as well (and catch can, intake, etc. - once you start there is no turning back).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok 1st thanks for posting this explanation of how to get the airbox lid off to change the air filter. It helped greatly. But as I got the two clips pried up & off the two hoses on the left side of the box & replaced the filter that had 7500 miles on it with a K&N filter, I had a Dickens of a time trying to get the plastic clips to seat back where they were on the respective hoses. I got the two hoses over their respective bumps on the outlets but just couldn't get those two clips to click back like they were before I started.

By the way here is a pic of the filter & what it has picked up in the 1st 7500 miles on this September 2016 produced Spider. You might notice it kept a Dreaded Florida Yellow/Deer Fly from getting in the engine. I don't know what it would have done to the motor but I do know that little monsters hurt like the 😈 Devil when they take a chunk out of you. Close up of their mouth/teeth look like a cross between Predator & a Grissley Bear. Ouch!

Any suggestions on seating those two plastic clips would be appreciated. Brab

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Ok 1st thanks for posting this explanation of how to get the airbox lid off to change the air filter. It helped greatly. But as I got the two clips pried up & off the two hoses on the left side of the box & replaced the filter that had 7500 miles on it with a K&N filter, I had a Dickens of a time trying to get the plastic clips to seat back where they were on the respective hoses. I got the two hoses over their respective bumps on the outlets but just couldn't get those two clips to click back like they were before I started.

By the way here is a pic of the filter & what it has picked up in the 1st 7500 miles on this September 2016 produced Spider. You might notice it kept a Dreaded Florida Yellow/Deer Fly from getting in the engine. I don't know what it would have done to the motor but I do know that little monsters hurt like the 😈 Devil when they take a chunk out of you. Close up of their mouth/teeth look like a cross between Predator & a Grissley Bear. Ouch!

Any suggestions on seating those two plastic clips would be appreciated. Brab

You forgot to mention the love bugs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts