Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm having troubles with my brakes.
Pedal is not firm and I can see microscopic air bubbles when bleeding the lines. System was like that from the beginning one year ago.
I've done the bleeding option 4 times and there is a small improvement but non substantial.

Is there a way to engage the ABS without specific cables and diagnostics or something not too expensive that I can find on the market?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I suggest you start bleeding from furtherst brake that is rear passanger's side, then rear driver's side
Then front passenger's side to last driver's side. Make sure your brake container is always full and make sure you're 2 people doing it. Also make sure it's the right DOT

If still bubble you may have a leak somewhere that is aspirating air when braking and you should be missing brake liquid often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked all the lines for leakages but everything is ok. I've flushed the system with almost half gallon of news DOT 4 oil. I'm using the Castrol. It's not the best but a good one in any case. Talking with a couple of mechanics that are following Mx-5 on the track they said to me that they had the same issue with air trapped in the ABS. Unfortunately they are not close to me and go to the Fiat dealership in this case is absolutely time lost

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a professional my car is perfectly fine but I know that the pedal can be firmer.
I’m using my 124 on the track too and I want the 110% from my car.
I’m used to work on my car but I can’t cycle the ABS..

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Alpha, there must be some pros on the track re: brakes, Also try the MX5 board maybe someone out there might have a solution.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
What is your method of bleeding brakes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried in 3 different ways:
  • vacuum pulled
  • bottle method (I was alone with no support)
  • gravity
There are not big bubbles coming out but just microscopic ones that you can see pointing the light trough the transparent bleeding hose.

I can't do the pressure one because my tool leaks on the tank and can't get a good sealing.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Alpha, even microscopic air bubbles can be compressed, Get someone with a heavy foot, and do the compression method. (compress break, open line, squirt, close line) and repeat it to the 4 calipers and your worries should be over. Don't forget to fill oir reservoir otherwise it will be aurevoir. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll do it again on friday.
For sunday the 124 must be perfect, I need to go at least 1 sec. faster than my buddy with a MX-5 ND 184cv.
Unfortunately due to the COVID my tires are stuck in two different hubs because there's been an outbreak in the local hub.

So today the brakes are the latest problem..
I'm so frustrated, no one has respected protocols and used social distancing and surgical mask and now I'm without tires..

·
Registered
10 Posts
TRy a set of Speed Bleeders,...I've used them for years on all my cars and they are GREAT! They replace the stock bleed screws, and have a spring-loaded pin-valve. You just crack open the bleeder screw and pump away til satisfied or you run out of fluid....you can completely change the fluid in less than 20 minutes.... they come in many thread sizes and lengths for almost any car...

·
Registered
2017 arbath ,Dv+ , ptp lava turbo blank, ECv4 intake, madness power pedal plus, CS vent mount phone
12 Posts
You might also try using a blue colored dot4 . It will be more obvious when the new fluid is in the lines

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
TRy a set of Speed Bleeders,...I've used them for years on all my cars and they are GREAT! They replace the stock bleed screws, and have a spring-loaded pin-valve. You just crack open the bleeder screw and pump away til satisfied or you run out of fluid....you can completely change the fluid in less than 20 minutes.... they come in many thread sizes and lengths for almost any car...
I used Earl's Speed Bleeders with braided stainless lines on my Firebird all those years ago. Turned the stock GM braking feel into a VERY firm, PROGRESSIVE, CONTROLLABLE pedal. LOVED it. Never had problems with air in the lines after the speed bleeders. Easy DIY piece of kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for this suggestions!
I've just installed goodridge brake lines and I'll take a look to the speed bleeders. I've never heard about this stuff here in Italy 🙂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts