Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been wander how wide spread this issue maybe, Red ABARTH purchased Dec. 2016 in Orange County, CA. (6 miles, I put 3 on for test drive).

I have the Amber Airbag Warning Light for Passenger 2 that stays on, (engine running and empty passenger seat). It cycles on then off at startup then comes back on and stays on. Took to Studio and they did not find a fault code for it. Owners manual page 104 says to take to dealer if this stays on. Been in communication with FCA, but really no answer but to take back to Studio for review.

Did see this issue on another ABARTH they had on their lot the same day I took mine in. No explanation for that. Taking back to Studio this Saturday 1/21 for another evaluation.

If you have this issue and you cannot get answers notify FCA. Mind you this is a warning light but tied to the safety restraint system.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
If the seat is empty that light will be on...there is a pressure sensor in the seat bottom that is set somewhere around 25 lbs...once that amount of weight is on the seat the light will go out....now if the light is staying on with someone in the seat then there's a problem...however I could be misunderstanding your issue...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the seat is empty that light will be on...there is a pressure sensor in the seat bottom that is set somewhere around 25 lbs...once that amount of weight is on the seat the light will go out....now if the light is staying on with someone in the seat then there's a problem...however I could be misunderstanding your issue...
Do you have the warning light stay on in yours? As you can see image 1, no passenger.
It does go out with passenger in the seat. Its like having the fuel warning light go on and stay on when tank is full. Pretty annoying, and if light burns out then you will never know.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
The light is there to let you know the airbag is not active....it stays on as long as the minimum weight is not met...the system was introduced to prevent airbag deployment with children in the seat that weigh below a minimum weight...below that weight there is a chance of physical injury from the deployment...it is a reminder to the driver that the person setting in that seat is under the minimum weight and that the bag will not deploy...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Ya when I had my 128 fiat, there was a pressure switch tell me to buckle up. lOL

I know the Nissan, it is in the seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That is the correct operation for that light. It's to reassure you that the airbag won't go off on that side unless a proper size adult is sitting there.

·
Registered
727 Posts
(I might consider avoiding that dealer from here on out...)
Daziner, are you referring to Orange Coast Fiat? Uh oh, they are my nearest dealer.

When my 350Z was new, the passenger door appeared stuck in the locked position. I drove it to the dealer and it took them all day to determine that I had accidentally pressed the automatic door lock button. They were going to keep the car a second day, lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Daziner, are you referring to Orange Coast Fiat? Uh oh, they are my nearest dealer.

When my 350Z was new, the passenger door appeared stuck in the locked position. I drove it to the dealer and it took them all day to determine that I had accidentally pressed the automatic door lock button. They were going to keep the car a second day, lol.
Yes, a very young bunch of friendly people though. Do not feel they have allot of knowledge with the 124 yet. Going to give them one more shot but looks like this light is on for everyone so could just be an annoying feature, maybe they can reprogram at some time. Going ask to startup a few other 124's on the lot if all are on then it is what it is for now.

User Manual could be what has confused me on this subject one page says if light is on see dealer, another says light is on in normal conditions see attached.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thankfully not a feature on Australian cars, that light would drive me nuts!
Yes, drives me nuts too, guess some tape over it to tone it down for now, it is brighter than I would prefer.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, drives me nuts too, guess some tape over it to tone it down for now, it is brighter than I would prefer.
You'll probably get used to it. In my Corvette it was on all the time, unless I had a passenger.

Try transporting a dog, even a small 17 pound dog like mine. The 124 will do an alarming pinging noise every minute or so. The solution was to buy a seat belt plug, which attaches to the dog's harness. Fortunately the airbag stays off (according to the light), lol, reducing my dog's chance of injury.

Lot's of oddities with these newer cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, first thanks to all that have replied. Its been a big help.

Followup to my second visit to the studio. I decided to see a couple more ABARTH's on the lot, had them started up and they both also have the airbag warning light stay on while is vehicle on and passenger seat empty. Reading the user manual (downloaded PDF vs printed page numbers, do not correspond) the section about describing the warning light does not specifically state weither the seat is occupied or empty. The section that descibes the conditions the light is desplayed clarifies, so in my mind they were contradicting each other.

I let FCA know how annoying this maybe, but also have come to peace of mind that nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

Daziner, out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts