Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one else had this issue?
My 124 spider Abarth's alarm has gone off randomly while driving.
I drove her for only one week and it went off 6 times.
She has been at the dealers being diagnosed for a week and a half now with no success yet.
She is a beautiful fun car but this makes her not drivable.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Just a stab in the dark, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with a faulty FOB. I suppose the theory could be tested with your second FOB.

Do you keep your FOB in your pocket? Lol, in my last car the trunk lid kept releasing until I discovered that it was because I was sitting on the FOB in my back pocket, inadvertently depressing the trunk button. The discovery saved me a trip to the dealer.

Reactions: Elaborazione17

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LongBeachJim, yes I thought of that, I put my FOB in the tray in front of the stick shift, and I turned off my phone just to remove another variable.
ForzaFiata, my red Abarth is wonderfully loud enough even before she is started

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer will be replacing My Body Control Module (BCM) this week. Its been a long time without her.
The new 500x they loaned me is nice and all but it is no 124 Spider Abarth. I can't wait to have her back.
I just hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my car back Tuesday, took it for a joyride and yes the alarm went off again.
I know I am the only one on this forum with this problem, but it is so depressing.
I am driving with the mechanic today to try to recreate this flaky problem. wish me luck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good luck :(

That sucks that after the time spent at the dealers, it still doesn't work and now it has to spend more time. Lets just hope it's not one of those gremlins that disappears when the tech is in the car and then happens as soon as you leave

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's Italian, they're known to be shouty at times.

Source: I married one :D
Ha! The Italian spirit can be a little noisy at times. ;)

I know it can be a pain in the proverbial "you know what," EZ17. Hopefully, the service tech will get this resolved for you ASAP. Keep persisting, this sweet machine will make-up for making a lot of racket in the kitchen with a nice banquet on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on the problem? I've had my Spider for about a month and a half now and have the same problem. Sounds like yours happened much more often than mine... it's happened maybe four times for me so far. First few I thought maybe something got pushed accidentally on the FOB, but have ruled that out now - and hence went searching the internet for others with this problem. So frustrating because I really love the car!

·
Banned
425 Posts
Got my car back Tuesday, took it for a joyride and yes the alarm went off again.
I know I am the only one on this forum with this problem, but it is so depressing.
I am driving with the mechanic today to try to recreate this flaky problem. wish me luck
Just a shot in the dark, but why not change the FOB battery as a cheap fix?

Reactions: TPG90004

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but why not change the FOB battery as a cheap fix?
I'm thinking this is related to the FOB somehow. Have you tried swapping it for your other FOB, (being sure not to take the original FOB along with you.) Does the alarm go off if you are only driving with the backup FOB?

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spider alarm systems goes off while unattended

She has been at the dealers being diagnosed for a week and a half now with no success yet.
I have similar problem, except the alarm went off while the car was parked in my garage, the car door were unlocked. Not sure how long it went off as I left home at 4:30 and it was not going off, and it was going off when I got home at 8:30. The garage was locked and no one went in the garage. I tried starting and stopping the engine--did nothing. decided to look it the trunk to
see if their was a collision monitoring switch, but fortunately the alarm system stopped when I opened the trunk. I have appointment with dealer in two days, but don't have much confidence if this is an intermittent problem

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happened to me last night. I was driving through a construction zone and doing about 5 mph because the road was gravelly. All of the sudden the flashers/horn started going off. Thankfully there was no one around and I was able to stop, turn the car off, and restart her. What do you guys do when this happens? I didn't even think of taking the fob out of my pocket and trying that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still having the problem...

I am still going through this issue. It's been in with the dealer more than I have actually had the car home since I bought it. Each time I have to pull over, shut the car off, and then restart. They supposedly ruled out a FOB issue and it doesn't seem to matter if the FOB is in my pocket or not, etc. The replaced the Body Control Module. I have had it back now for about two weeks. Each day I was getting more and more hopeful that they actually fixed the problem, but the alarm went off tonight again while driving. Guess we will be making more calls tomorrow and we've already researched the lemon law.... before they had it to replace that module it went off 14 times in one day!!! The problem was getting worse and worse. So sad because I love this car aside from this issue!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had this issue for two days. It was the main key I was using. When I took that one away and replaced it with the spare, never saw it happen again. I think it was the key fob, because I had the original key fob out on a table and the alarm randomly went off (outside table is one wall thickness away from garage). Never had it occur with the spare. Fiat replaced it for free (with some complaining) rather than bother trying to do detailed diagnosis. Win.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you guys say your alarm went off, what did you actually see or hear? Asking because I was driving to work this morning, and I could swear I heard my horn honk once....and I did not honk it! That's all, didn't see anything on the dash, didn't do anything. Just kept driving. I know that the fob buttons can get pressed when the fob is in my pocket, but that's usually when I'm twisting or bending to get out or release the top.

If the lock button was pushed while driving, would I get one beep of the horn? Now I'm going to have to try it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried this morning, and the fob buttons did not create any horn sounds while driving. Still don't know where the horn sound came from yesterday. Sure sounded like my car, and not someone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. Spent weeks in service and changed BCM. No help. So you have updates?

·
Registered
73 Posts
WHOA, I had this happen to me the other day. Was just pulling into my apt complex and the alarm starting going off. I had to stop/start the engine to make it stop. At first I thought maybe I just moved and the fob hit against a key or something while in my pocket, though that hasn't happened before. So far it has only happened the one time. Hopefully the only time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK DEFEWK?! this has happened twice now. In different areas of town but both times while I was going rather slowly through a parking lot.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts