1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
334 Posts
US $49.99 | Basalt / Silvery / Red Fiber Shell Turbo Blanket For Fiat Abarth 124 Spider Car Accessories Parts

Has anyone tried this? Seems like its the same as the "PTP" brand blanket on ebay for ~140$
It looks identical to the PTP blanket, at 1/2 the price, thereabouts!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cheap Chinese knockoffs - you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Cheap Chinese knockoffs - you get what you pay for...
I was just about to say the same. I'll pay more for the PTP blanket, their Lava blanket is the best on the market for the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just about to say the same. I'll pay more for the PTP blanket, their Lava blanket is the best on the market for the car.
As a habitual aliexpress shopper, this is sometimes the case and sometimes not at all. For example, there are now knockoff GFB dv+ valves at an incredible price, but i wouldnt touch them because I know exactly what chinese machining can be like. However I have pretty high hopes that the chinese can handle a turbo blanket or some such. I guess im going to find out.

It really all comes down to the product in question, and how its made. There are some Chinese knoxk offs that are identical to the real thing either because they are the real thing or because they cant make it any worse. There are also some Chinese brands of things that seem better than domestic, or equivalent at a much lower price point. I loved my Huawei p30lite for example, and now i have a xiaomi phone that is just as good.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,485 Posts
Where is the PTP blanket made? I have that one, but can’t see a ‘country of manufacture’, but a lot of this type of stuff is manufactured there these days.
PTP are made in Texas. I shipped them my downpipe, crosspipe, and turbo manifold to have custom blankets made for each of them.

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
459 Posts
I'm not an Aliexpress user, but I use DHgate sometimes. I've found that they will sometimes post photos of a "real" product, then what you receive is vastly different in looks and quality. However, there have been some times where I have been very surprised by quality and appearance. All comes down to who you are buying from, their reviews/reputation, etc. That's the key to those Chinese sites.

As far as car parts go, I've never ordered something like from these sites. I'd rather stick to what's tried and true, rather than rolling the dice. If it comes and it's subpar, you're then left to spend more by purchasing the real thing afterward.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
661 Posts
Where is the PTP blanket made? I have that one, but can’t see a ‘country of manufacture’, but a lot of this type of stuff is manufactured there these days.
Austin, TX

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Sila Concepts blanket actually has a slightly better heat rating.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
253 Posts
As a habitual aliexpress shopper, this is sometimes the case and sometimes not at all. For example, there are now knockoff GFB dv+ valves at an incredible price, but i wouldnt touch them because I know exactly what chinese machining can be like. However I have pretty high hopes that the chinese can handle a turbo blanket or some such. I guess im going to find out.

It really all comes down to the product in question, and how its made. There are some Chinese knoxk offs that are identical to the real thing either because they are the real thing or because they cant make it any worse. There are also some Chinese brands of things that seem better than domestic, or equivalent at a much lower price point. I loved my Huawei p30lite for example, and now i have a xiaomi phone that is just as good.
Besides the horrific Chinese quality control (ask any non-Chinese manufacturer who has produced something there and discovered unless they insert their own QA people on site, the product is trash), they are also notorious for cloning things they do not have intellectual rights to. Don't support that.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

I think this really comes down to a caveat emptor scenario. There are good quality products available from Chinese manufacturers and resellers, but there's also a fair amount of suspect goods to be found as well. I too buy A LOT of "stuff" from AliExpress, and I know what I'm willing to risk and what I won't. Besides, look at how much stuff global brand name product is now manufactured in China (Apple products to use a simple example), and sometimes ghost shifts are run in the same facility to produce the grey market goods that are sold at lower costs... but are exactly the same product based on materials and software/firmware. Slightly off topic, but this has been such a rampant issue that about a decade ago, a new version of Nokia's phone hit the grey market before the launch date of the official product, and so much of it was out there that the legit Nokia devices were thought to be the knock-offs because they hit the market later.

Anyway, in short, like with anything, buyers need to be cautious when making online purchases. I'll buy lumbar cushions sequential LED side markers from AliExpress, but I won't buy my impact socket sets from there. :)

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Aliexpress sells quality items and cheaper items.
Fender blinking light, very good quality and cheaper in price then Amazon and Ebay
Android Car kit, its a Mazda product and cheaper then Ebay and Amazon.
LED bulbs and so on.
Now for turbo blanket, it may look the same but material could be of inferiour quality. You need to see it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Besides the horrific Chinese quality control (ask any non-Chinese manufacturer who has produced something there and discovered unless they insert their own QA people on site, the product is trash), they are also notorious for cloning things they do not have intellectual rights to. Don't support that.
We get told off by the ‘forum police’ for getting too close to politics, but my general approach is that I try not to purchase anything made in China (which is very hard these days). Why would I spend my money supporting a country that is growing its military so aggressively. (Sorry forum police).

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
We get told off by the ‘forum police’ for getting too close to politics, but my general approach is that I try not to purchase anything made in China (which is very hard these days). Why would I spend my money supporting a country that is growing its military so aggressively. (Sorry forum police).
I totally agree with you, but here's the catch same item sold by Aliexpress cost cheaper and same item sold in a Walmart or any store at a higher price. So, from who do you buy it from.
Oil Catch can, a seller sell it 3x the price, while same item sold on Aliexpress for 1/3 or the price. Same quality, who do you buy it from.
Most of the Items are manufactured in China today, thanks to the so called Walmart and co.
Now we want to buy USA or Canadian or local. But most these Items are manufactured in China. Cause the margin are great then manufactured local.
Covid-19 has thought us some lessons and I see more of the trend getting reversed. Local products must be competitive in price.
But the guilty one are US or WE, majority of us are shareholders and we like big returns either in share price or dividends, so CO. to achieve this go manufacture the product outside cause if the return on investment is not there, CEO loses his or her job.
Also at end of month, a person has to balance the budget.
Been sweating my brains this morning. LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to agree with you there - How bad can a blanket be? At worst it will not insulate quite as well, and may not be as durable.
I'm in!

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
459 Posts
I have to agree with you there - How bad can a blanket be? At worst it will not insulate quite as well, and may not be as durable.
I'm in!
With the blanket, material may play a big factor. Wouldn't be fun to have an engine bay that smokes like crazy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts