Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh. In 10 weeks of ownership and nearly 4000(!) miles of tootling around town and around the region, I'm pretty sure I have the only 2017 124 Spider in the greater St.Paul/Minneapolis, MN area.

(Pause as this mildly incendiary statement sinks in.)

I have seen a few ND MX5s, but no Spiders. Hello-lo-lo-o-o-o...? Is anyone out there?

Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So sad, nearly a month, and nothing. But alas! Earlier this week I came across a black Classica parked on Central Ave NE in Minneapolis, I even left a welcome note under the windshield, even name-dropped this forum for him (or her). So, there are two of us here, I'm not alone.

Steve.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice! It's always good to find a friend. The only Spiders I've seen are at car meets where I knew there was going to be spider there. I've resorted to calling ANY fiat "My Friend"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stevet,
You obviously haven't seen mine! I live in Stillwater and am mostly cruising the St. Croix Valley. Just under 5,000 miles and loving it. Abarth, Bianco Gelato White. Picked up at Schmelz in March. Are you set for Bondurant yet?
Drew

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Drew. Nope, haven't seen you out there. I did make a visit over that new St. Croix Bridge of yours last weekend. That's a nice piece of engineering (and should make DT Stillwater a much more pleasant place to visit). I then followed north to St. Croix Falls, back across the river and down MN95 to 96 and back home.

No racing school for me and my Classica. I think of my Via as more of a (mini) grand tourer than sports car. She loves meandering the countryside. Mine came from Schmelz, too. Are you taking part in the Bondurant school?

So that's three Spiders anyway. I haven't seen posts from "iamz" in quite some time, he'd be #4. I think he's on the WI side of the river across from the Red Wing area.

Okay, I shall be on the lookout for a white Abarth. Happy Travels!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FF1,

C'MON!!! Boy, it is about time, now I don't feel so alone. A big congratulations to you!

Landmark me not so far from I-694 and Central Ave/Hwy 65. I'll keep an eye out for that 3-foot tall red streak. Dark gray Classica for me.

You, me, and Drew in Stillwater. We're becoming a trend in the Twin Cities. Red, dark gray, and white. And a mystery black 124 in NE Mpls, which I've never seen again. That would make a nice parade out in the countryside.

Check that Googlemaps route I posted in the Road Adventures section a couple days ago, driving some delightful WI county roads last week. Happy trails!

Steve.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sigh. In 10 weeks of ownership and nearly 4000(!) miles of tootling around town and around the region, I'm pretty sure I have the only 2017 124 Spider in the greater St.Paul/Minneapolis, MN area.

I have seen a few ND MX5s, but no Spiders. Hello-lo-lo-o-o-o...? Is anyone out there?

Steve.
I agree but to date there are only 6135 Spider 124 in the nation and about 15749 world wide. In the
Washington DC area I have yet to see an other 124 except on the dealers lot. Sales have been slow compared to the rest of the world but I sure they will pick up especially if FCA would advertise the cars.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Western Wisconsin here. 30 miles east of Stillwater and work in Bayport.
Ha! I just replied in your other message thread. Welcome aboard. It's nice that you are already living in good rural touring country. I have to travel 30 miles just to enter good rural touring country. The Spider experience can't be beat on the alphabet roads down river a bit. WI-35 and US-61 (MN) are nice conduits, but I love motorcycling and driving the Spider off those beaten tracks in SW WI, SE MN, and NE IA. Getting up around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are good drives, too. Heck, just driving to work in the Spider makes the day go better!

Bayport- Andersen? (That's an all-too-common guess, I guess.)

Safe travels!

Steve.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Steve.
Steve Spiders were making their WEB in the winter, they'll come out. I haven't taken mine out yet, 5 celcius, but gravel, pot holes and still some salt. This weekend expecting rain and will wash out the streets and hopefully they will start repairing the pot holes. May 1st will be out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ha! I just replied in your other message thread. Welcome aboard. It's nice that you are already living in good rural touring country. I have to travel 30 miles just to enter good rural touring country. The Spider experience can't be beat on the alphabet roads down river a bit. WI-35 and US-61 (MN) are nice conduits, but I love motorcycling and driving the Spider off those beaten tracks in SW WI, SE MN, and NE IA. Getting up around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are good drives, too. Heck, just driving to work in the Spider makes the day go better!

Bayport- Andersen? (That's an all-too-common guess, I guess.)

Safe travels!

Steve.
Yup great driving out this way and of course the river road. I am a 30 year worker at the Andersen Window Company

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup you got it 31 years there. Sorry it took so long to reply I realized a month ago I signed up on this site then forgot I had.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup you got it 31 years there. Sorry it took so long to reply I realized a month ago I signed up on this site then forgot I had.
Oh, that is funny!

Keep warm thoughts for spring.

Steve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Add me to the mix. I just picked up a low mileage, 2017 Abarth this past weekend from a dealer over in Menomonee, WI. I reside in Minnetonka, MN. Put it in a hanger yesterday to store until at least mid -april. Car rode has hard as rocks yesterday, Sunday, but it was 4 below Farenheit! Might need to change the tires when it gets warmer. I have the the Potenza RE050a but with only 4500 miles.

Still learning how to post on this forum so forgive my errors. Thanks

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Add me to the mix. I just picked up a low mileage, 2017 Abarth this past weekend from a dealer over in Menomonee, WI. I reside in Minnetonka, MN. Put it in a hanger yesterday to store until at least mid -april. Car rode has hard as rocks yesterday, Sunday, but it was 4 below Farenheit! Might need to change the tires when it gets warmer. I have the the Potenza RE050a but with only 4500 miles.

Still learning how to post on this forum so forgive my errors. Thanks
Hey, you made it home. At least the weather was clear, and hopefully the roads as well. Yeah, I bet those tires weren't very happy.

I sure hope we aren't waiting past mid-April. More snow coming this weekend... Fingers crossed.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After 24 months of ownership, today, finally, I saw another Fiat 124 Spider driving down the road.

I was motorcycling today (Spider drive is later this week), sitting at a wayside rest on Wisconsin Hwy 35, just a couple miles north of Stockholm, WI, at about 4:15pm. A red Spider with the silver windshield trim (Lusso?) drove by me heading southbound. I was in instant shock- my first sighting of a Spider, other than mine, driving down the road.

Whoever you were, welcome!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my never ending quest to see another Spider in the wild... Today, July 21, 11:25am, southbound on WI Hwy 35 coming out of Stockholm WI, I passed a white Spider (possibly an Abarth) as I headed north into Stockholm. I even gave a wave.

If that was you, I have to ask, why was your top up on this glorious day?

This is now my 3rd "Spider In The Wild" sighting in 2+ years of ownership, and my 2nd in 2 months at Stockholm, WI, a tiny tourist town of about 70 residents. Maybe we all need to meet at the Stockholm Pie Company for a slice.

Steve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A week or two ago, I saw a White 124 Spider driving in Apple Valley, MN. The top was up and It had super dark tinted windows and dark wheels so it stood out quite a bit.

Previous to that in July, I saw a red 124 spider also in Apple Valley, after owning mine for about a week.

With my white Classica, that makes for three 124 spiders in the south metro that I have seen in about a month of ownership. I hope as the used market comes down further in price, we will start seeing more!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts